MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diplomaniac1

Folks -

Here are some general obersvations from a thirty-plus year fan of D-III Mens Basketball in the old Middle Atlantic Conference and the newer Centennial Conference in the Mid-Altantic Region.

It is nice to see that Mike Rhoades is moving up from Division III to an assistant coach at a Division I program. His departure will be a big loss to the RMC program. He is one of those rare individuals who truly shows that you can successfully balance competitiveness and success and still be a class act!

When Mike played at Lebanon Valley, he was one of those great players that opponents loved to hate, but who opponents and their fans ultimately respected for his abilities and drive. This assessment comes from a long-time F&M fan who saw Mike's Flying Dutchmen squad beat is beloved Diplomats several times both in Lancaster and Annville.

Both congratulations and condolences are certainly due to Mike after what I am sure has been a very tough year with the early loss of his father Pennsylvania State Senator James Rhoades in a tragic automobile accident!

Eric

Coach K

Any word on recruiting in the Commonwealth conference this year? Who looks to be the favorite next year?

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Coach K on June 21, 2009, 10:17:36 AM
Any word on recruiting in the Commonwealth conference this year?

For an update on LVC recruitment, go to the following:

http://blogs.lvc.edu/Athletics

gordonmann

We also linked to an article about Leb Val's recruiting class through our "What we're reading" section the front page.

http://www.publish2.com/newsgroups/d3hoops/

Warren Thompson

Quote from: gordonmann on July 22, 2009, 05:12:35 PM
We also linked to an article about Leb Val's recruiting class through our "What we're reading" section the front page.

http://www.publish2.com/newsgroups/d3hoops/

Thanks for that information.

gordonmann

No problem.  And Leb Val posted a release on its recruiting class off our front page, so now there's info a plenty. :)

G-manWU

No one has posted on here in over 120 days, and the season has already started? Sheesh....

Anyway, I plan on heading out to Williamsport this weekend to see Wilkes in action at Lycoming. In my years of working with Wilkes football, I had always seen a restaurant called "The Pub" across the street from the Lyco campus. I've heard good reviews of the place and want to stop there on Saturday, but I cannot reach them by phone, and their website apparently has not bene updated in some time.

Dose anyone out there know if "The Pub" is still in operation these days?

Coach K

I will put up the 2nd post in 120+days, where are all the Alvernia fans? The vern is off to a 7-1 start, and beat Elizabethtown. This is a real good start for them, and a big turnaround from last season. Has anyone seen any of their games?

mailsy

Has anyone seen Widener play?  They seem to be always good.  But how are they this year?
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Lyco80

G-man,

I am not sure if "The Pub" is still in operation - it has been since we left for Japan that I was last on campus (2006) but it was quite the place during my time and beyond.

Another site worth checking out is "The Bullfrog Brewery" where they make and serve their own micro-brews and serve up some good chow.

On another note - The Warriors seem to be among the elite of their conference in men's basketball this season.

One complaint - they are listed second to Albright on the MAC league standings with identical won-loss records and holding the edge in head-to-head contests.

What's up with that?

I usually stay on the football post but saw your query and wanted to provide a data point even if it might be a wee late.

ATB

lefty2

The Commonwealth and Freedom standings are automatically generated - the software isn't smart enough to determine tiebreakers (i.e. head-to-head).

At this point, it really doesn't matter though.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

luvdahoops

At this point, it looks like anyone can beat anyone (except perhaps for Arcadia, though they'll surprise someone and hand them a loss that they can't afford).  Hope it continues for the next six weeks...

Lyco80

Quote from: lefty2 on January 18, 2010, 09:09:34 AM
The Commonwealth and Freedom standings are automatically generated - the software isn't smart enough to determine tiebreakers (i.e. head-to-head).

It must matter somewhat - read next under for illumination.

"This has been taken care of. When the final games results are posted, final
rankings will also be posted.

Katie Imes
Assistant Executive Director
Middle Atlantic, Commonwealth and Freedom Conference
Lebanon Valley College

Office: [717] 867-6396
Fax: [717] 867-6399
www.mascac.org
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:44 AM
To: 'jacklea@cox.net'
Cc: Imes, Katie
Subject: MAC RANKINGS

I have sent to our web site manager...Ken

Ken Andrews, MAC Executive Director
Commonwealth, Freedom, and Middle Atlantic Conferences
Lebanon Valley College
101 North College Avenue
Annville, PA  17003-0501

Office:    717-867-6395
Fax:        717-867-6399
Cel:        717-649-1868
E-Mail:  andrews@lvc.edu

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:09 AM
To: Andrews, Ken
Subject: MAC RANKINGS

Ken,

A check of the current MAC men's basketball rankings lists Albright atop with
Lycoming next although both have identical won-loss records.

Since Lycoming beat Albright shouldn't the number one spot belong to the
Warriors?"

I mean, if it really doesn't matter than why not just total it all up at the end?

Attention to detail breeds success.

ATB

lefty2

Quote from: Lyco80 on January 18, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: lefty2 on January 18, 2010, 09:09:34 AM

It must matter somewhat - read next under for illumination.

It obviously matters to you.

But, it's not critical to be worrying about tiebreakers with a month left to play.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

Lyco80

All right, with an eye towards clearing things up.  My point is if you are going to have standings let them be accurate.  In major league baseball they even account for 1/2 game differences - not that I am suggesting anything that precise be used in this case.

The word critical never even came to mind until you posted it.

Naturally it matters to me - full disclosure - proud alumni - former member of the Alumni Board.

Regardless, if the team did not merit the change the MAC administrators would have had nothing to correct. 

Making a mountain out of a molehill - perhaps, but at least my point is substantiated by facts and not opinion - and as John Adams is famous for saying, " Facts are stubborn things."

ATB