MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCHoopster

Decent showing from the MAC Commonwealth going 10-6 on the weekend. 3 teams winning tournaments and a few strong wins with Widener over Del Val, Alvernia over F&M and Messiah over Hartwick. Underrated conference and top to bottom, may be the toughest in the Mid-Atlantic this year. Could have 4-5 15 win teams.

CCHoopster

Bad loss for Lycoming at home. Certainly do not look like the team from the playoffs last year. Lost a ton. Good win by Susquehanna.

CCHoopster

Dave, I like to follow the MACC and the Centennial. I've seen quit a few thoughts/predictions/previews on the CC and wanted to see what your thoughts on the MAC Commonwealth were?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Jeez... this one is tough... let me think more on it... but I do like Alvernia at the top... after that it is anyone's guess. I do think Stevenson at #2 from the preseason poll seems a  bit audacious, and they would probably admit the same... and I think teams like LVC near the bottom doesn't make any sense.

Let me get back to you... if you don't mind.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 19, 2013, 11:10:36 PM
Jeez... this one is tough... let me think more on it... but I do like Alvernia at the top... after that it is anyone's guess. I do think Stevenson at #2 from the preseason poll seems a  bit audacious, and they would probably admit the same... and I think teams like LVC near the bottom doesn't make any sense.

Thanks Dave, no rush just interested to see your view. Trying to get a little life on this board. Pretty tough conference top to bottom with some fantastic coaches.

middhoops

Middlebury has played one of your teams and it was a barn burner.  Alvernia runs on jet fuel.

We have added two key players since then, however.  Jake Brown, the coach's nephew is a 100% game ready freshman point guard who plays smothering D.   James Jensen is a very athletic 6-5 defensive ace and shot blocker.

Stevenson won their first game easily with senior Brendan McFall 6-6 from distance.  What style does Stevenson play?  Are they significantly better equipped to handle Middlebury's 3 post players?

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 20, 2013, 08:52:22 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 19, 2013, 11:10:36 PM

Thanks Dave, no rush just interested to see your view. Trying to get a little life on this board. Pretty tough conference top to bottom with some fantastic coaches.

Alvernia- Losing Terrence Bridgers will hurt them big time. He was a 1st team All Conference player and their leading scorer, a matchup night mare at 6-6 and a pure jump shooter. Not sure if he transferred or grades but he is not in school. They only play 6 guys and with rules changes, that will absolutely hurt them at times. At other times, they will have the best 5 guys on the floor at all times.

Stevenson- Well coached, talent, athletic but young. Some new pieces for coach Stewart to place together. Solid showing last year making the playoffs but inconsistent throughout the year. Could easily finish 2nd or could finish 5th. Either way they make the playoffs.

Messiah- (Don't sleep here) Not really a dark horse since picked 3rd but my pick to win the conference. Really well coached and a ton of experience. Return 4 starters and get back Fernandez who missed last year with I think ACL(so you can look at that as 5 starters)... Fernandez was all region and all district as a soph. They can fill it up and have a good win vs Hartwick. Still have a bunch of guys with lots of experience  from their championship team 2 years ago. Size will hurt them on the block they do have big guards which maybe offsets that. I see a return of the Messiah team from 2 years ago who won the league.

Arcadia- Well coached and they will go as Brown and Saltus go. No real depth and need to find a 3rd scoring option with Trawick graduated. The addition of Washington College transfer Mark Henry will certainly help the back line with Joe Brown.

Lycoming- Lost guys to graduation and transfers. Hard to get a read on this team but like usual super athletic, capable scorers and will probably be floating around come playoff time. Transfer pg Wilson from Wilkes sure helps and Anthony is a 1st team all conference player. Did just lose by 15 at home to Susquehanna last night.

Albright- Sensing a rebuilding year. Lost POY Singleton, 6-9 Benjamin, Cornell Mickens 6th man and Andrea Marshall who was a sharp shooting 6-4 freshman (won them a few games). I think even though have 3 starters back (Morella, Perez, Jordan) they struggle for the last playoff spot and ultimately miss out.

Widener- Return mostly all their guys and get one back who didn't play last year and arguably could be their best player (name escapes me). The loss of Brown to grades or transfer will hurt since he could defend and score. I think they will be right there fighting for a last playoff spot with Lyco and Albright. Well coached, experience pg.

Hood- Lost 2 starters. Have size and a scorer back in Cook but not sure they have enough to make the playoffs in this league. Don't think it will be like that for long but just not this year.

LVC- Not sure how they score in league play. Agnew is a good solid scoring pg but he really doesn't have anything around him. They lost Danny Brooks and that's not good when you lose Danny Brooks. I can't see them winning more than 6 games in league if that.

Etown- Only brought in 1 frosh, some experience but don't have the ponies to play in this up-tempo league. However they seem to overachieve when their down and get 2-3 wins you would laugh about if you were told before hand Etown would win. Well coached, play super tough and this is their last run in the MAC Commonwealth before heading to a better suited Landmark Conference.

CCHoopster

Quote from: middhoops on November 20, 2013, 09:00:06 AM
Middlebury has played one of your teams and it was a barn burner.  Alvernia runs on jet fuel.

We have added two key players since then, however.  Jake Brown, the coach's nephew is a 100% game ready freshman point guard who plays smothering D.   James Jensen is a very athletic 6-5 defensive ace and shot blocker.

Stevenson won their first game easily with senior Brendan McFall 6-6 from distance.  What style does Stevenson play?  Are they significantly better equipped to handle Middlebury's 3 post players?

Middleburry should be fine vs Stevenson. Up-temp, athletic and guard focused team. Their freshman pg is as good as they come. Him and Hawkins drive the bus.

CCHoopster

Quote from: middhoops on November 20, 2013, 09:00:06 AM

Stevenson did beat a team who is 12-93 in their last 4 seasons plus first two games this year.

Clutch

Alvernia rolled over JHU last night seems like they are the ones to beat if they can keep their 5 on the floor, understand of course JHU is not at their best but Alvernia seems consistent.

CCHoopster

Alvernia's Achilles heel will be teams in the MACC who have 8 man rotations and play up tempo. Any foul trouble for Alvernia means trouble. They are literally 5 deep. All 5 starters will play 32 plus minutes, probably more.

CCHoopster

Solid night for the MACC. Stevenson a huge win over Middlebury and Widener a good win versus Utica on the road in NY. This is an underrated conference.

Clutch

Indeed, this conference is showing strength, congratulations to all the teams in it with their hard earned victories, love the parity in the region these days.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 23, 2013, 08:56:43 AM
Solid night for the MACC. Stevenson a huge win over Middlebury and Widener a good win versus Utica on the road in NY. This is an underrated conference.

I don't think the conference is underrated... I can't get through a conversation with any coach in any conference where the MACC isn't brought up as maybe the toughest in the region and certainly the deepest. However, I will say the conference has under-performed. To even come close to the conversations of the ODACs, NESCACs, CCIWs, UAAs, WIACs and those on the next level... teams in this conference have to perform in the post-season. Alvernia had the best chance last year, but people do raise an eyebrow when they talk about the Crusaders not being able to beat St. Mary's on their home court. That win would have done a lot to change the image of the MACC.

No one doubts this isn't a good conference with plenty of good teams and great coaches... but until a team or several teams make deep runs in the NCAA tournament... people will tend to think the conference is deep, but not strong at the top.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Clutch

Agreed Dave, unless of course one takes a broad perspective of thinking, for example Alvernia going  to the final 4 with the Damien Hunter and Lonnie Walker days, although the conference they played in was the PAC so you cannot count that but the team itself got deep, also brings to mind the Catholic U days with a team like Elizabethtown with Palumbo going very deep believe they were the Mac but your point is well taken with this conference after the realignments and creation of the CSAC.   Currently, one two or three different teams emerge individually from this conference annually, but the consistency is starting to display itself recently across the board, would make the midatlantic region and conference more legitimate as contenders if this conference and the csac teams could be more consistent in going deep, the csac seems polarized but the  Macc is more balanced among themselves. As far as one claiming the conference is underrated nationally, it would be difficult for one not to argue your point.  Winning consistently amongst ranked teams on the road in the post season is difficult not to mention losing at home does not bid well in creating an image of strength for the Macc...These teams playing within conference may be underrated as a level of play but as you say the strength at the top after the conference play is to be questioned.  With experience and time this will change I hope so the Mid Atlantic can be considered a decent region.  Cabrini sure helped the region but the gywnedd mercies, wideners need to get further, Keystone another example, Wesley we shall see, although Dickinson, F+M could still emerge to help....hope I make sense.