MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Solid assessment, Hoopster.

Great opening night in the Commonwealth tonight. Messiah at Albright and Alvernia at Stevenson.

Full scoreboard here: http://gomacsports.com/scoreboard/

Info Sheet for Alvernia

CCHoopster

Stevenson is really tough at home. Last year they seemed a different team at home than on the road where they looked average at times. Hawkins is playing great. Alvernia needs depth or they will struggle with some teams (Stevenson, Messiah, Lyco, Widener) this year. You can even throw Arcadia in there. Messiah gets a good win with a bunch of minutes played by the bench @ Albright. Lycoming handles Etown who typically plays Lyco much closer. LVC vs Moravian postponed.

MACC getting a few good non-conference wins early. Alvernia over F&M, Stevenson over Middleburry, Arcadia over DeSales, Messiah over Hartwick (not great) but a team that could very well end up winning their league.

Safe and Happy Holidays!

Clutch

Widener in action at Neumann this weekend in Aston Pa,  the Neumann place is very nice to watch a game they did a great job when they built their facility.  Coaches for cancer a good cause, and you get to watch the Pride take on Cabrini a ranked team.  Game time is 2:15 in case anyone gets out there.  There are other teams playing there as well.   

mailsy

Quote from: Clutch on November 29, 2013, 08:38:30 AM
Widener in action at Neumann this weekend in Aston Pa,  the Neumann place is very nice to watch a game they did a great job when they built their facility.  Coaches for cancer a good cause, and you get to watch the Pride take on Cabrini a ranked team.  Game time is 2:15 in case anyone gets out there.  There are other teams playing there as well.   

Those other teams are Rosemont vs Rowan at 12 and Richard Stockton @ Neumann at 4:30.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Jon

Who's up for a little Alvernia/Albright highlight reel?

Check it out HERE.

CCHoopster

Trying to make the rounds on local teams. Think I am going to go out and see Messiah vs. Hood tomorrow night, about 45 minutes away. Could be one of the tougher teams Messiah has faced so far. This would be a big
win for a Hood. Messiah won both meetings last year by double digits. Should be interesting.

Great having Albright, Alvernia, Messiah, Etown, LVC, Dickinson, F&M, York, all between 10 minutes and 1 hr. Gettysburg too.

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 10, 2013, 10:04:11 PM
Trying to make the rounds on local teams. Think I am going to go out and see Messiah vs. Hood tomorrow night, about 45 minutes away. Could be one of the tougher teams Messiah has faced so far. This would be a big
win for a Hood. Messiah won both meetings last year by double digits. Should be interesting.

Great having Albright, Alvernia, Messiah, Etown, LVC, Dickinson, F&M, York, all between 10 minutes and 1 hr. Gettysburg too.

Although I do not follow their respective conferences, Penn State Harrisburg and Penn State Berks are in there too.

CCHoopster

Well got out to see Messiah vs Hood. Messiah had two starters out of the starting line up- over heard who I assume a parent saying one had a broken hand (I asked who and they said Fernandez), the other played off the bench but didn't look 100% at all---> (starting pg- small scrappy kid, Hoy).

Hood was flying all over on both ends of the floor. They are extremely athletic full court pressing and trapping for all 40 minutes forcing to's and getting the Falcons out of rhythm. Hood hurt themselves on offense taking bad and very very very very early shots. Messiah weathered the storm and took control in the final 8 minutes. Messiah is a really tough team who gives a ton off effort, with a lot of skill and balanced size. While having a player looking 6-7/6-8 their guards are big, athletic and can score ranging from 6'3-6'6. After watching them I am not surprised they are 8-0. Messiah never seemed to get rattled even after being down 9 early. They don't show a ton of emotion when their down and don't show a ton of emotion when their up or coming back. Seem to be level headed, and that's why experience and sr's/jr's mean so much. 8-0/4-0 is a pretty strong start. From their schedule they play @ Methodist then @ Guilford over the New Year.

Also: Congratulations to Messiah sr Brad Bolen for cracking the 1,000 point mark dropping 30 points last night. Kid is an absolute pure, smooth scorer.

- Messiah is 8-0 and 4-0 in the MACC. Just a note as D3hoops has them 8-0 and 3-0 in the conference.

Excited to get out to another game this Saturday

CCHoopster

Not a good last two days for the MACC. What's up with E-town? They play good one night and don't seem to show up the next.

Wilsonfan

Does anybody know the status of Lycoming's William Wingate?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 17, 2013, 10:02:59 PM
Not a good last two days for the MACC. What's up with E-town? They play good one night and don't seem to show up the next.

That about sums them up almost year in and year out.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Congrats to Messiah on being ranked #15 in the latest D3Hoops.com poll. They will certainly have a big test at Stevenson tomorrow. I think you have to give the edge to the home team. They play great at home and their a really good team.

Should be a tight race in the MACC for the 5 playoff spots.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Really quiet in here despite really good games recently... here is a great recap on last night's Stevenson win over #15 Messiah by D3hoops.com's Rob Knox: http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2013-14/contrib/20140116spyyxk
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 16, 2014, 02:32:42 PM
Really quiet in here despite really good games recently... here is a great recap on last night's Stevenson win over #15 Messiah by D3hoops.com's Rob Knox: http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2013-14/contrib/20140116spyyxk

Seems like that was like a NCAA Tournament atmosphere, caliber of game and caliber teams.

Messiah gets another win vs Arcadia at home to stay atop the conference.

LVC continues to loom around with a major win over Albright. Albright continues this up and down play. Looked at the box score and their not missing anyone.

Alvernia beats Etown

Hood wins their 3rd in a row with a buzzer beater vs Widener who is struggling to win games with an experienced team.

Stevenson plays at Lycoming tomorrow. Not an easy game for the Mustangs. Really long trip vs a Lycoming team who could use a win. Hoping there is video for this one!

Dave:

Assuming Stevenson wins tomorrow at Lycoming, would you see them being ranked? Do you see them jumping Messiah or does Messiah not drop that many spots? My thought (which has no substance behind it just a guess or personal opinion) would be that if Stevenson is ranked then Messiah lost to a really good team, on the road in 2 OT's with what appeared to be a shot to win at the buzzer in the first OT based on the article. I guess the other side would be Stevenson beat the #15 team then traveled to Lycoming and won there.... Again this is all assuming Stevenson wins. Be nice for the MACC to have to ranked teams.

Hood has figured some things out and earned some nice wins of late.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Should Stevenson win today... I think both teams are ranked. Stevenson just needs to follow up a big win like that with a victory, especially on the road. They followed up their win over then-ranked Middlebury at the beginning of the season with their only home loss against Birmingham-Southern. I know the coaching staff has been reminding the team that they have to be ready for every game, so today they should be ready.

I just don't see how the voters don't put Stevenson in their Top 25 should they win today. Their resume will include a great win against Messiah who is clearly a Top 25 team, a win over an always tough (though not their record) Middlebury squad, a dominating win against Alvernia, a scant one-point loss to Oglethorpe (currently ranked), and other notable games. Their only blemish is the loss on the road to Albright, though we all know that is a team improving and well coached.

As for Messiah, even if Stevenson doesn't win today, I think they stay ranked. However, how far they fall will depend on Stevenson. Stevenson wins and Messiah's drop should be tempered; Stevenson loss and Messiah's drop will be more significant.