MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I know the conference goes to points for and against far sooner than other conferences... it came up last year and surprised me. In fact, I think they go to points BEFORE they go to how teams did against other teams in the conference. Like second or third on the tiebreaking order.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jon

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 18, 2016, 12:19:05 AM
I know the conference goes to points for and against far sooner than other conferences... it came up last year and surprised me. In fact, I think they go to points BEFORE they go to how teams did against other teams in the conference. Like second or third on the tiebreaking order.

Here's the summary of tie-breaker procedures:

1.  Head-to-Head results between and among the tied teams in Conference games.

2. Tied teams' won-loss records vs. Conference teams in Conference games starting with #1, #2, etc.

3.  Point differential between and among the tied teams with a maximum of 15 points in each game.

4. Tied teams' point differential in conference contests starting with #1, #2, etc. ranked team with a maximum differential of 15 points in each game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Jon on February 18, 2016, 07:25:17 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 18, 2016, 12:19:05 AM

Here's the summary of tie-breaker procedures:

1.  Head-to-Head results between and among the tied teams in Conference games.

2. Tied teams' won-loss records vs. Conference teams in Conference games starting with #1, #2, etc.

3.  Point differential between and among the tied teams with a maximum of 15 points in each game.

4. Tied teams' point differential in conference contests starting with #1, #2, etc. ranked team with a maximum differential of 15 points in each game.

The bigger question is if the select or eliminate first in a tie.  For example, in a five way tie, two teams would be 5-3 against the rest, one 4-4, and two 3-5.  Do they put the top teams in automatically and then re-break the tie or do they pull the bottom two out and break the tie between them?  That should also be outlined in the tiebreaker procedures wherever you found them (I tried to locate them and couldn't).  Conferences do it both ways, but it would make a difference in the event of a more than two way tie.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Jon

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 18, 2016, 08:14:02 AM
The bigger question is if the select or eliminate first in a tie.  For example, in a five way tie, two teams would be 5-3 against the rest, one 4-4, and two 3-5.  Do they put the top teams in automatically and then re-break the tie or do they pull the bottom two out and break the tie between them?  That should also be outlined in the tiebreaker procedures wherever you found them (I tried to locate them and couldn't).  Conferences do it both ways, but it would make a difference in the event of a more than two way tie.

The tiebreakers work to qualify teams (as opposed to eliminate), so in the case mentioned above the two 5-3 teams would be taken out of the 5-way tie and those two would start over with the tiebreakers from head-to-head.  Then the three teams remaining from the original 5-way tie would be in a 3-way tie for the next available spot...

tweisman5

Sorry if I'm not getting this correct, but the second step is kind of confusing. Is it the tied teams W-L vs #1, then #2, etc. or the tied teams total conference W-L? Also if it is the W-L vs #1, then #2, etc. does it stop after there isn't a tie in the second process? If so then Arcadia is 2-0 vs Alvernia.
Go Mustangs!

Jon

No problem, tweisman5. If head to head (H2H) doesn't break the tie, you compare the tied teams against the #1 team (where Arcadia is always favored--in a 2-way tie--as the only 2-0 team vs Alvernia).  If that doesn't break it, then compare vs #2 and so on.

I don't think this happened anywhere this time around, but this would only consider conference games, so if two conference teams played each other in a regular-season tournament, or just scheduled a non-conference game for fun, that wouldn't count in this tiebreaker.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I was under the impression the difference in points went ahead of team results against conference opponents. I say that because I was surprised last year with the way a tiebreaker was broken down because I had been doing the team vs conference comparison when it apparently had already been broken with points. Hood comes to mind.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jon

Here's a link to the 2014-15 MATRIX, and here's my understanding of how the 4-way tie at 10-6 was broken.

Lycoming was 13-3 and the #1 seed.

1. Alvernia, Arcadia, Hood, and Stevenson were all 3-3 against the other three teams in the 4-way tie.
2. Stevenson and Hood were 1-1 against Lycoming, while Alvernia and Arcadia were were 0-2.  That qualifies Stevenson and Hood for the next two spots.

1a. Hood and Stevenson split their season series.
2a. Hood and Stevenson were both 1-1 vs Lycoming.  Either Alvernia or Arcadia would be #4, but because their tie can't be broken H2H, that stops the progression through #2.
3a. Point differential (max 15).  Stevenson beat Hood by 8.  Hood beat Stevenson by 3.  Stevenson is #2, Hood #3.

1b. Alvernia and Arcadia split their season series.
2b. Alvernia and Arcadia were both 0-2 vs Lycoming.  Alvernia was 2-0 vs #2 Stevenson, Arcadia was 0-2 vs #2 Stevenson.  Alvernia is #4, Arcadia is #5.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: CCHoopster on February 11, 2016, 11:07:49 AM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on January 21, 2016, 09:41:41 AM
Lycoming is about to run away with the conference. Historically the MACC has come down to the final week of play to see who wins it, but I think Lycoming starts to give themselves some breathing room as they are in cruise control after their disappointing loss to Widener a few weeks back. It has really sparked their engine.

Monday morning QB here.... You mean Alvernia, not Lyco :)

Yes what a change of events! It's like after Lycoming beat Alvernia they decided to trade form with one another...that's why you play the game  :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lycoming is in either way.  If Arcadia wins tonight, they're #4, if they lose, Widener is the #5.

Jon

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 20, 2016, 05:07:53 PM

Lycoming is in either way.  If Arcadia wins tonight, they're #4, if they lose, Widener is the #5.

Not quite, Hoops Fan.  According to tiebreakers if Arcadia wins, Lycoming is #5.  If Arcadia loses, Lycoming is out.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Jon on February 20, 2016, 05:20:23 PM

Not quite, Hoops Fan.  According to tiebreakers if Arcadia wins, Lycoming is #5.  If Arcadia loses, Lycoming is out.

You're right.  I wrote that wrong.  Arcadia is in either way - if they win, Lycoming beat Widener head to head; if they lose, Widener wins the 3-way tie and Arcadia gets the #5 on head-to-head.  I put the wrong name up there.

Jon

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 20, 2016, 05:26:18 PM
Quote from: Jon on February 20, 2016, 05:20:23 PM

You're right.  I wrote that wrong.  Arcadia is in either way - if they win, Lycoming beat Widener head to head; if they lose, Widener wins the 3-way tie and Arcadia gets the #5 on head-to-head.  I put the wrong name up there.

Now we're good to go.  Anxious feelings in Chester.  And they have to wait 45 minutes since the women's game went OT.

Jon

MAC Commonwealth Men's Basketball Championships.

1. Alvernia
2. Lebanon Valley
3. Arcadia
4. Stevenson
5. Lycoming

Lycoming @ Stevenson on Monday.  Winner @ Alvernia on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Arcadia @ Lebanon Valley on Wednesday.

Championship game Saturday.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

I see Lycoming getting out of their funk with a fresh slate of the second season and beating Stevenson 73-69. Then they will battle tough with Alvernia but come up short 84-75. Alvernia will then face Leb Val in the final after Leb Val wins an overtime thriller 69-64 over Arcadia. Ultimately I think Alvernia ends up winning it all taking down Leb Val by a score of 71-65. But with how close everything is this season I wouldn't be surprised if the complete opposite happened!

First game is today correct? Lycoming traveling to Stevenson. Should be a great first round matchup!