MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Standings                                               RS

MMA                 5 - 0                                Catholic          2 - 0
Catholic           4 - 1                                 Susque          2 - 0
Susque            3 - 2                                 MMA               1 - 0
Scranton          3 - 2                                 Scranton        1 - 0
Drew                2 - 3                                 Juniata           1 - 0
Juniata             1 - 4                                 Moravian        0 - 2
Moravian          1 - 4                                 Goucher         0 - 2
Goucher           1 - 4                                 Drew              0 - 3

Scheduling oddity:    Drew starts conference play with 5 home games, Juniata with 5 road games

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: ronk on January 18, 2009, 02:17:02 AM
   Agree that Catholic outhustled the Royals(3rd road game in 4 days) as evidenced by 14-6 advantage in offensive rebounds, Royals' below average foul-shooting,  and Zach beating his man for the lead on a drive to the hoop in the final minute but coming up short on his leap(no spring) at the basket.
  Game was tightly officiated by 2 refs(including my friend, naturally) but overly officiated by the 3rd who called many fouls in the paint with little contact, no advantage/disadvantage, generally without the offended player having possession of the ball, then with game on the line in the final seconds, he swallows his whistle on a non call that resulted in Fuller turning it over. We'll never know if the outcome would have been different, but he injected himself into the game instead of letting the players decide.
   Jason was impressive in the paint, but at least he could blame himself for his absence in the second half with those 2 dumb fouls(running into a 3-pt shooter(#3) and getting ball-faked on the baseline(#4)
   Jump-shooting vs non-shooting maneuvering inside had nothing to do with the fouls that shouldn't been called .   

Yeah I don't know that anybody enjoys a game officiated THAT tightly.  I particularly agree with the advantage/disadvantage--or lack thereof--on some of the fouls.  It wasn't always in the paint, either--Olivero, Catholic's senior shooting guard, got nailed on a few touch fouls a little farther out.

But my point was that it was clear that's the way it was going to be, and it was absolutely happening on both ends, so at some point you have to adjust to that.   And that's where the style of play comes in--it wouldn't have taken points off the board if Scranton had tried to go inside more, but it would have gotten them to the line more too.  Plus, I just think an outside game like that is more effective if you at least try to put the ball in the paint on occassion.  Particularly when you have a couple guys on the floor that have a good 2-4 inches on anybody on the defense.  Yet I'm not sure there was even a single attempt to post somebody up.

Jason's third foul was stupid, the fourth one was a little questionable--I don't think he even left his feet--but in a game like that you have to expect it.  I didn't quite see the end of game sequence the way you did, perhaps not surprisingly--that looked like about a clean a steal as possible--and in any case, Fuller passed up 2 open looks just to dribble the ball around in the paint, so...

I suppose I do understand Saratoga's frustration--Scranton's got so much talent, they probably should be stomping teams like Catholic.  However, I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic.  They're still a really good team, their depth is outstanding, and they can shoot the ball.  It looked to me that they didn't quite know what to do with all of it yet--but its January. 

Meanwhile, Catholic has shown a lot of growth this year...the sky is the limit on Banzhaf and Dixon has turned into one of the better guards in the league already.  They will need to get more consistency from some of the other players, and obviously they don't have a true center, but this is a very well coached team and the chemistry is much better than last year. 

NEPAFAN

A couple of things.

Scranton's interior depth- Scranton doesn't have a true 5 on their team. They have no post game, thus all the jump shots and 3 point attempts from outside. When you couple that with Paul Hawk sitting on the bench, your left with Biagoli, Londo, and Fuller, who all have height, but are not your bangers in the paint.

Landmark Schedule- Tough to win two conference games on back to back nights, especially when you are without one of your starters. Goucher knocks of Moravian is evidence of this me thinks. The Landmark conference schedule is a war and this game was a battle...

A Glimpse Into the Future?- With P. Hawk going down, Londo and Biagoli fouling out we saw what next year might look like unless Danzig and company have a solid recruiting year.  I think he will be able to offer some recruits 3 starting positions next year...maybe that draws them in.

I am getting ahead of myself...I see Scranton Catholic meeting up in the playoffs this year.

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Matt,
   Concerning Catholic, separate from Banzhof, who's topnotch, playing well were Yarbrough, Reed, who's plenty physical and athletic in the paint, and Stolzenthaler, who locked down Fitzpatrick on defense.
  Talked with Coach Howes after church today and he was happy with the two close wins, as well he might be.
   Looks like action is heating up at least as far as we chatters are concerned. I imagine Susque and the Grove are going to be making contributions soon,also.

TheGrove

Good to know I'm missed.  :)

Haven't been able to catch the team on the road but should be able to contribute something starting next weekend. Football's been making the most noise around here lately with the big conference change announcement. Don't worry, we're not leaving the Landmark.  :)

NEPAFAN

Looking forward to see how Scranton does against first place MMA on Saturday Night. If you recall, MMA pushed around Scranton twice last year.....Hopefully P. Hawk is healthy and able to return.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

Heard Hawk is healthy and ready to go this weekend against the hottest team in the Landmark.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Huge win at the Long Center by the Royals tonight. Paul Biagioli drops in a missed shot at the buzzer & the Royals come away with a very hard fought win. This was a big swing game as with a loss the Royals would be 3 out & now with this win they are just 1 out & control their own destiny. Paul was having his way underneath so it certainly seems like the shot the Royals took with about 39 seconds left in the game, from the wing with nobody underneath was somewhat ill-advised because MMA then essentially had the hammer to win or send it to OT. They missed with about 7 seconds left & Ashworth got the rebound & tried a driving layup that rolled around & out & Paul was there to grab the rebound & put it back up at the buzzer. Lots of work still to do but, BIG win.

ronk

More kudos for Dan O' Connell's stats(following a solid game @ Goucher) - didn't miss a shot, 6-6 from foul line, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal. And the Royals got laid-back broadcaster Dean Corwin excited at the end.

ronk

Matt,
    Live video & stats of CUA-Juniata currently on Juniata web site.

TheGrove

Susquehanna takes two at home this weekend, Catholic yesterday and Goucher today. Goucher ended up being tougher than I thought they would, based on their record.

I'm continually impressed by Joel Patch. Maybe he was just overshadowed last year by Robinson and Cuff, but he really seems to be coming into his own. His game is a lot smoother and he's averaging double-digits in scoring and rebounds (leading the conference in rebounds).

NEPAFAN

Anyone know why Paul Hawk didn't play today and Luke Hawk had limited minutes?
Vince Lombardi

Matt Letourneau

Pretty interesting turn of events with Merchant Marine getting clipped by Moravian today.  4 way tie!  You know, I think we have ourself a pretty good league here fellas.  At least its competitive.

I guess splitting on your road trip is good enough.  Tough to tell where Catholic went wrong against Susquehanna from the stat sheet....defense?  Looked like Sus. just put in the ball in the hole a little bit better--everything else was pretty even.  But that will do it every time!

Yeah, Goucher is not a "bad" team, Grove.  They pushed Catholic to OT earlier--granted, at their place.  They just haven't really put it together, although they are clearly playing better ball now. 

Next Friday, the Cardinals play Merchant Marine--that ought to be interesting. 

Banzhaf watch:  this weekend, 23 and 7 in game 1, 21 and 9 in game 2.   Now averaging around 20.5 a game.  Looks like he's starting to take more 3's...and hitting.   He's got to be in the All America picture at this point.

ronk

Standings                                               RS

MMA                 5 - 2                                Catholic         3 - 0
Catholic           5 - 2                                 Susque          2 - 0
Susque            5 - 2                                 MMA              1 - 0
Scranton          5 - 2                                Scranton         1 - 0
Moravian          3 - 4                                Juniata           1 - 2
Goucher           2 - 5                                Goucher          1 - 2
Drew                2 - 5                                Moravian        0 - 2
Juniata             1 - 6                                Drew              0 - 3

5 home games in 2nd half for Catholic & Juniata; 5 road games for Drew & Moravian. RS suggests top 4 in playoffs, Catholic #1 seed.

BCannon

Good news for Scranton to have Biagioli have the weekend he did. If he gets it going for them look out. I still think Scranton and Merch Marine are the top 2. Both teams depth and ability to have multiple players have a big game on any given night makes them dangerous and difficult to guard/prepare for. I think the 2nd half of the season will be real interesting. My personal hypothesis, Susq will finish 4th because they don't play d at a high enough level. they just have so much talent and athleticism they make up for it to get these wins during the regular season. Catholic will finish in 3rd in the league. Banzhaf is a special talent but things will get tougher as teams start playing him the 2nd time around. If other guys begin to play well around him consistently then things will be different but I think they are still a year away. Merch Marine will finish 2nd. Scranton 1st. both have 5 guys in the starting lineup who can score and both teams share the ball well however the Royals play the better defense of the two.

As far as All Americans in the Landmark I don't believe there will be one. Although Banzhaf and Patch are both having great years I think that neither of their teams will have a good enough season to warrant such recognition. Good chance I think we could see both as the forwards for the All Region Team. If CUA and Banzhaf continue their progression he will eventually get there.

Really surprised with the Goucher and Moravian boxscores today. Goucher because I saw Micah Perry a freshman drop 30 and Moravian with a big win over Merch Marine. Perry really surprised me. Saw him earlier in the year and felt that his shot selection was perhaps the worst I have ever seen next to my own,but now after seeing the boxscore im interested to see him and how he has developed over the course of this season.