MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Letourneau

Oh yeah, what I am complaining about has nothing to do with the rest of the game.  Merchant Marine FAR outplayed Catholic yesterday--at least for 37:00 or so--and was clearly the better team.  In fact, they are the best team I've seen in this conference in 2 years. 

Merchant Marine led by 12 with 4:00 left and this game was over.  Catholic put together an incredible run to cut it to a one position game with just under a minute left.  So I guess the only flaw was that MM didn't put the game away.  Their defense was absolutely outstanding--flawless.  Even though Banzhaf had 29 points, they were a very, very tough 29 points...obviously a lot of it at the line.  They really sealed the passing lanes so he couldn't kick out.  MM didn't do much when they actually had to run their offense, but everything is fueled by their defense.  They got a lot of transition points and pushed it up the floor.  They were not affected by Catholic's traps whatsoever.

So I can't complain that Catholic lost.  However...as you can see from the stat sheet, it was a tightly officiated game.  The bucket that put MM up 4 was on a drive/layup from the right side.  I was standing right there so I saw clearly that the kid traveled--took 3 steps and then leaped.  Well, they really didn't call any travels all day, so that's an understandable no call.  But they DID call a lot of fouls.  So whether you deserve to lose or not, and whether its the last play of the game or not, when you've got a kid taking a 3 point shot, he's set and got a good luck, and three defenders all realize it and arrive late, and then absolutely fall on top of him as he's shooting, causing the ball to go sideways and the kid to get  pushed into the ground...its NOT okay to swallow your whistle.

Irrespective of the outcome of the game.  Its quite possible that Dixon would have missed one of the 3 free throws anyway--and if he had I wouldn't complain.  I'm not complaining about the outcome of the game, I'm complaining about not calling an obvious foul after you've called everything else all night.

Fair enough?

And btw--I've had a problem with the lead official in that crew for a long, long time--years.  Rest assured, he never gives Catholic anything and he's an arrogant jerk as a bonus.   He t'd up a kid from Merchant Marine for God knows what...it was during a play.  Maybe the kid said something, but it couldn't have been to the ref as he was defending the ball at the time of the technical foul.  Power trip.

saratoga

Somewhat of an expected outcome for those that have followed the Royals the past 6 or 7 years. How many big games on the road have the Royals won anyway? Now in second place & if you're a betting person...take MMA and +7 next weekend. This just in from a long time Royal fan at the game..."never has so little been done with so much". No excuses, no ref issues, no we got jobbed...just another big game loss on the road...so what else has changed? How far can this experienced Royals team go...if they're lucky...second round...Landmark playoffs. Please let me be wrong!
???

NEPAFAN

This was one the Royals need to win. Next Sunday MMA +7 sounds about right, although with today's loss I think that  it is a must win for the Royals.

Still like this senior laden team in the conference tourny and to win their 3 straight conference title, but doing it on the road a la last year is a lot to ask. Havent the Royals been around 18-8 the past three years?

Toga to early to hear any buzz regarding next years incoming class?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Standings                                               RS

MMA                7 - 2                                MMA               3 - 0
Susque            7 - 2                                 Susque          2 - 0
Catholic           6 - 3                                Catholic          3 - 1
Scranton          6 - 3                                Scranton         2 - 0
Moravian          3 - 6                                Juniata           1 - 3
Goucher           3 - 6                                Goucher          1 - 3
Drew                2 - 7                                Moravian        0 - 2
Juniata             2 - 7                                Drew             0 - 3

NEPAFAN

Quote from: ronk on January 31, 2009, 10:56:03 PM
Standings                                               RS

MMA                7 - 2                                MMA               3 - 0
Susque            7 - 2                                 Susque          2 - 0
Catholic           6 - 3                                Catholic          3 - 1
Scranton          6 - 3                                Scranton         2 - 0
Moravian          3 - 6                                Juniata           1 - 3
Goucher           3 - 6                                Goucher          1 - 3
Drew                2 - 7                                Moravian        0 - 2
Juniata             2 - 7                                Drew             0 - 3

So of the top four in the Ronk Standings (and likely playoff teams) who has the easiest road to the finish line?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Nepa,
   None of the 4 are travel partners so they have different home/away combos. Each has to play 2 of the other 3, 1 home, 1 away. Susque has 2 home, the others have 3.
   I'd rank them easiest to hardest:  MMA,Scranton,Catholic,Susque

RS predicts

MMA          10-4
others         9-5

tpm4286

Its a little early now but I believe that a Susquehanna vs. Catholic Landmark Conference Tournament Final is soon approaching. These two teams have the tools to beat everyone else in the league. They need to finish strong and go into the tourny playing well. Let's just hope they don't play each other in the 1st round.

Innerloop

Catholic was outplayed by MM period. MM played outstanding defense. Catholic rolled over Drew and relaxed too much after they got a big lead. Catholic needs someone else to step up offensively. They have alot of nice young talent. Banzah could be a 2000 point scorer by the time he graduates. I like the other big kid, 23 has nice shooting form but missed alot of shots, the redheaded kid seems like a bundle of energy and raw talent, and the point guard is a step from being very good. Like I have read here they look like a year away.
Traffic Buster

TheGrove

Innerloop, would your sn be a reference to the Beltway?  :)

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: Innerloop on February 02, 2009, 01:44:21 PM
Catholic was outplayed by MM period. MM played outstanding defense. Catholic rolled over Drew and relaxed too much after they got a big lead. Catholic needs someone else to step up offensively. They have alot of nice young talent. Banzah could be a 2000 point scorer by the time he graduates. I like the other big kid, 23 has nice shooting form but missed alot of shots, the redheaded kid seems like a bundle of energy and raw talent, and the point guard is a step from being very good. Like I have read here they look like a year away.

Yes, they were.  Didn't see the Drew game though.  Banzhaf is the best Catholic sophomore I've seen in 10 years of watching Catholic basketball--and that includes Morley and Hilleary, both of whom won national championships as underclassmen.

Spencer Reed is tough and has come along pretty nicely--but they still need a big man to go along with Banzhaf.  Baker (23) is uneven and the redheaded kid is Clark Hindelang--lots of energy, yes!  Not quite there yet.

They do have two good point guards--I don't know which one you are referring to but RJ Dixon is the sophomore who I think has gotten a lot better this year.  He still goes through periods where he kind of loses it in the middle of the game, but he seems to get it back together and get himself under control.  I like the fact that he isn't afraid to take shots--I think he could be the additional offense that you speak of.

I thought they would be a year away, and in a lot of ways they are, but the rest of the league isn't as good as I thought it would be and Catholic is better than I thought, so that puts them in the mix this year.  I still think Merchant Marine is the team to be, because their defense is so good that they can survive bad shooting days.  Scranton can't.  Catholic could if they played good defense. 

I haven't seen Susquehanna--hoping to next weekend.  HUGE game obviously.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: tpm4286 on February 02, 2009, 11:48:39 AM
Its a little early now but I believe that a Susquehanna vs. Catholic Landmark Conference Tournament Final is soon approaching. These two teams have the tools to beat everyone else in the league. They need to finish strong and go into the tourny playing well. Let's just hope they don't play each other in the 1st round.

Alright, I'm in. I'll go USMMA vs. Susquehanna in the Landmark Final.  Danzig is fired and the Royals bring in PJ Carlesimo in the off season.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

I know just looking at stats isn't enough to judge how good a team is, but since I do not have the benefit of being able to see a catholic game its all I have to go on. Looking at the stats Catholic is 1st in scoring O (avg pts a game) 1st in scoring D (fewest avg pts allowed a game) and first in rebound margin. Also top 4 in every team stat category if I recall right. The more and more stats I see the more I believe Catholic may not need that year that myself and a few others thought. Banzhaf is an animal. I don't know how he does it every weekend. Looking forward to next year when I will actually be able to take in a few games around the league in particular CUA.

IMAGINE if they still had Quinn and Parker! ... Also Jones at JC is starting to come on himself and McGrew is a starter at Salisbury

Prediction- Teams that will be in the playoffs need to watch out for Juniata to be a spoiler here at the end (MerchMar and SU still have to go to Hdon). could potentially affect the seeding

Innerloop

Yes my screen name has something to do with the beltway---DUH! Just moved back to DC and hate the traffic. Last post said Juniata could be spoiler in playoffs. They won't make playoffs--I believe it is only top 4 teams?? Any of the top 4 teams could win the Landmark. Depends on all the intangibles like being on a run at the end of the year...home court advantage...injuries....DEFENSE.
Traffic Buster

saratoga

NEPAFAN: Great idea! I think we might also be able to convince Latrell Sprewell to come on board as our strength & conditioning coach since it appears he's clearly out of options in the NBA & obviously he & P.J. have a very "close" relationship.
 I think we may be able to convince a few of the Trustees to take another look at the AD position as well if we're able to provide some good leads.
 By the way, I see Coach Knight seems to be itching to get back...who knows, with the right incentive package (Mannings ice cream for life, Scranton/WB Yankee tickets, Pens tickets, Old Forge pizza & Coney Island weiners), our beloved Royals may just be in the right place at the right time.

ronk

Quote from: Innerloop on February 03, 2009, 10:00:34 AM
Yes my screen name has something to do with the beltway---DUH! Just moved back to DC and hate the traffic. Last post said Juniata could be spoiler in playoffs. They won't make playoffs--I believe it is only top 4 teams?? Any of the top 4 teams could win the Landmark. Depends on all the intangibles like being on a run at the end of the year...home court advantage...injuries....DEFENSE.

Prediction- Teams that will be in the playoffs need to watch out for Juniata to be a spoiler here at the end (MerchMar and SU still have to go to Hdon). could potentially affect the seeding

He didn't say Juniata would be in the playoffs, but they might affect the seeding of teams in the playoffs if they would get upset in Huntingdon in the rest of the regular season.