MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrove

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 20, 2009, 10:36:13 AM
Dhoops.com on your IPHONE very impressive.

I was rolling livestats on my BlackBerry while sitting at the Susquehanna game on Saturday (wanted to see how close Patch was getting to 1,000), how's that?  :)

tpm4286

Dave- Goucher education without boundries!...Nepafan you should def. consider getting the iPhone it is the best phone on the market.

Yeah im putting all my chips in on this Goucher-Catholic game, lets hope the Gophers can pull a Win. If not then i'll probably get torched on the board but at least I would be right about Goucher being horrible and Patch POY.  ;D.

Have a good weekend all, look forward to seeing the results after tommorow.

cuabigdog

[Catholic  U will defeat  Goucher by 6-8 points in the final reg season home game on the new Franny Murray court
CUA 2001 NCAA  DIII Basketball National Champions

TheGrove

Juniata's looking to make an upset - 37-26 at the half. Meanwhile, Moravian's trying to do SU a favor, leading Scranton 41-32 with 3 minutes to go.  :o

Patch has 11 points and hit the 1,000 career plateau in style with a dunk.

TheGrove

Susquehanna turns it around in the second half and wins, 72-58. Patch finishes with 27 points and 13 rebounds.

Scranton's on the comeback trail too, up 80-72 with 3:16 to go.

cuabigdog

Catholic --73
Goucher--48

Jason Banzhaf     8 -11    22 points  8 boards 
Nick Olivera         6 - 9  [5-4 from3] 17 points

Cards dominated from start to finish
CUA 2001 NCAA  DIII Basketball National Champions

saratoga

Scranton defeats Moravian by about 10 & wraps up the regular season top slot. Hats off to Coach Walker & his staff  at Moravian for getting his kids to play like a playoff spot was on the line for them as well. Once again, Scranton's offense carried their defense to victory.

NEPAFAN

Did I read correctly, Scranton done by 12 in the second half and come back to win 91-75?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Yes, 4 consecutive 3-ptrs, 3 by Fitz, erased the 12-pt deficit. Susque had a similar 29-pt turnaround to beat Juniata.

NEPAFAN

Where is TPM to take his medicine?

Have the times for the playoff games on weds been announced yet?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

NEPA: I believe I heard last night after the games that the Landmark Conference will announce the schedules for Wed's. games on Mon. morning. Since both the Scranton women & men ended up as the # 1 seeds, both will be at the Long Center. Generally, this translates into a 5:30 start for the Scranton/Susquehanna ladies & a 7:30 tipoff for the Royals & Catholic men.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 22, 2009, 02:02:55 PM
Where is TPM to take his medicine?

I see his name at the top of the board, so he's here.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NEPAFAN

Ouch.

Merchant Marine 111, Drew 46 

TOGA:

You might want to suggest to the Administration the beer give away idea, student section is still DOA.
Vince Lombardi

Matt Letourneau

Okay, look...

I didn't even bother taking tpm's bait before the CUA-Goucher game because he was being a clown, and frankly I knew Catholic was going to win.  For one thing, it was senior night, for another thing, well, Goucher...eh, let"s keep it positive.

It wasn't quite the MM-Drew game, but it was a blowout right from the get-go.  I'm very happy for senior Nick Olivero in particular who had a great game on his home floor for the last time.  The three Catholic seniors (Sean Stolzenthaler, Evan Yarborough and Nick) went 70-36 in their careers during a time of great transition in the program.  They stuck with it and all contributed at various points.  I certainly wish them well.

For whatever reason, Banzhaf and Catholic have taken a lot of crap here.  I still think he's the player of the year.  Obviously I'm biased, but that doesn't make me wrong.  From an intangible standpoint, he was the anchor on a very young team that really turned it around this year. 

I understand the argument that being the main scoring option on a team means inflated numbers, but in Justin's case, his shot selection and field percentage prove that it was more than just lack of options that led to his numbers.  But all this talk is a bit disparaging toward the rest of the team--there are other good players on Catholic's roster, its just that on any given night, a different guy stepped up so the numbers aren't as consistent.

For as much as a clown that tpm was, he was right in that every team went into a CUA game knowing that they had to stop Banzhaf.  And yet how often did it happen?  I'll give you the numbers in a minute, but basically NEVER.  That's remarkable.

From a statistical standpoint, the numbers speak for themselves.

In conference games, Jason finished with a 22.8 ppg average, shooting .624 in the process.  He was the league's leading scorer by 4.2 points per game.  That's a huge gap.  He was also second in field goal percentage, proving that he didn't get all those points just by jacking up tons of shots.  He was selective and reliable.  He averaged 8.1 rebounds per game--second only to Patch.  He was third in the league in free throw percentage at .852--we're talking about a power forward here!  He finished tied for second in the league in three point percentage at .455.  He led the league in offensive rebounds. 

Let's compare Banzhaf verses Patch.

Rebounds: Patch +2.6
FG PCT: Banzhaf +60 points

How about head to head.  In CUA-SUS games this year, Jason scored 49 points and had 19 rebounds.  Patch had 31 points and 14 rebounds.   Head to head, Banzhaf was the better player.

The other thing is consistency....these are Jason's point totals by league game: 27, 18, 17, 27, 22, 23, 21, 29, 26, 25, 26, 12, 24, 22

These are Patch's: 14, 19, 25, 6, 19, 13, 14, 26, 14, 23, 18, 18, 11, 27

Of the 14 league games, Banzhaf scored over 20 ppg in 11 of them.  He was over 15 in 13.  His season low was 12.

Of the 14 league games, Patch scored over 20 ppg in 4 of them.  He was over 15 ppg in 7.  His season low was 6.

Now I've heard the argument that Patch makes his teammates better by sharing the ball more.  Given the other talent on Susquehanna vs Catholic, and given the fact that I've heard that argument, I expected to see a pretty substantial gap in assists.  Nope.  Patch had 38 for the season, Banzhaf had 35.  Are people really going to deny him the POY over 3 assists?

I'm not taking anything away from Patch as a player--and certainly not as a student!  But if he was a sophomore and Jason was a senior, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  And frankly, we really shouldn't be now, either.  The award is Player of the Year.  Its not MVP, its not best rebounder, its POY.  It should go to the best player in the conference. 

Night in, night out--that was Jason Banzhaf. 

tpm4286

I was sadly wrong about the Catholic-Goucher game and admit that it was a bad decision to try to back up a poor/terrible Goucher squad that had nothing to play for. Catholic took care of business as I should have expected them to do because they are well coached.

Great argument for the POY Matt Letourneau, there should be a heated debate as your boy Banzhaf does have an impressive resume this year. I guess its not up to us. But my vote still sticks with Patch just because I think Banzhaf will win the POY 2-consecutive years with at least one conference championship in his Junior or Senior Year.