MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrove

Feeble SU mind, says the guy with the Juniata degree... amusing. Maybe you're just jealous 'cause you were never nominated for it?

I highlighted the most outstanding players part to point out to you that one can't be a slouch of a bball player and win this award. It's not a "nice guy" award. I was around when Kristen Venne (another "feeble" SU mind I suppose) won the Josten's Trophy, and she was a hell of a ballplayer, three-time All-American, one of our all-time leading scorers, etc.

I realize this is not an officially-sanctioned NCAA award, but it says right there in the description, "most outstanding Division III men's and women's basketball players of the year." While there are other factors involved, again, you have to be a darn good basketball player to get the award, not just a nice guy and good student.

NEPAFAN

Guys...Guys....like minded institutions remember?

Feeble minded? Those are the Wilkes and Kings of the world... ;D

Anyone seeing Scranton or Susquehanna upset tonight?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

TheGrove

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 25, 2009, 02:09:22 PM
Guys...Guys....like minded institutions remember?

Feeble minded? Those are the Wilkes and Kings of the world... ;D

Don't forget the Lycomings...  :)

As for upsets, hey, any given Sunday... er, Wednesday.

saratoga

Two big questions to be answered tonight in the Catholic/Scranton game. First, can Paul Hawk hold a potential Landmark MVP about 15 points below his average as he did in their last game and secondly, will the Scranton men finally outdraw the Scranton women in a home game?
 Answers: I hope so & not a chance.

BCannon

Quote from: TheGrove on February 25, 2009, 01:52:30 PM
Feeble SU mind, says the guy with the Juniata degree... amusing. Maybe you're just jealous 'cause you were never nominated for it?

I highlighted the most outstanding players part to point out to you that one can't be a slouch of a bball player and win this award. It's not a "nice guy" award. I was around when Kristen Venne (another "feeble" SU mind I suppose) won the Josten's Trophy, and she was a hell of a ballplayer, three-time All-American, one of our all-time leading scorers, etc.

I realize this is not an officially-sanctioned NCAA award, but it says right there in the description, "most outstanding Division III men's and women's basketball players of the year." While there are other factors involved, again, you have to be a darn good basketball player to get the award, not just a nice guy and good student.

jeaoulous? not at all. Patch deserves all the credit he has gotten and has had a great senior year and its quite the honor to even be nominated for the award. look at my comments about him over course of the year. i have been very complimentary. however, him being a nice guy and great student is why he is in the running for the jostens (along with the bball aspect)

my feeble minded comment was sarcastic but you had to go and pee on the wheaties. with that being said if you want to argue the merits of a Juniata degree vs. a Susquehanna one i'd be happy to.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on February 25, 2009, 02:37:38 PM
Two big questions to be answered tonight in the Catholic/Scranton game. First, can Paul Hawk hold a potential Landmark MVP about 15 points below his average as he did in their last game and secondly, will the Scranton men finally outdraw the Scranton women in a home game?

As long as the first thing happens, don't care so much about the second.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

BCannon

Quote from: saratoga on February 25, 2009, 02:37:38 PM

a. I think so

b. I don't know what it used to be like but the Long Center had a pretty good drawing last year in the Landmark Championship. It could have been better but the students filled up the one bleacher behind the basket while a majority of the stands on each sideline were filled. id say about 70%.

TheGrove

Quote from: bballfan10 on February 25, 2009, 02:57:07 PM
my feeble minded comment was sarcastic but you had to go and pee on the wheaties. with that being said if you want to argue the merits of a Juniata degree vs. a Susquehanna one i'd be happy too.

You stole my line, dude! As for arguing the merits of our respective degrees, I don't think I need to when you provide the evidence yourself.  :)

(And for the record, I have friends who went to Juniata, for whom I have much respect.)

TheGrove

PS to the Scrantonites - since no one seems to be talking on the women's board - good luck tonight. Aren't your women undefeated at home this year? You've got a heck of a team, SU's women have a tough task ahead of them.

ronk

The women have double-figure losses to Messiah and Rochester @ home; both games with Susque were struggles and I anticipate another tonight.

BCannon

Quote from: TheGrove on February 25, 2009, 03:13:36 PM
Quote from: bballfan10 on February 25, 2009, 02:57:07 PM
my feeble minded comment was sarcastic but you had to go and pee on the wheaties. with that being said if you want to argue the merits of a Juniata degree vs. a Susquehanna one i'd be happy too.

You stole my line, dude! As for arguing the merits of our respective degrees, I don't think I need to when you provide the evidence yourself.  :)

(And for the record, I have friends who went to Juniata, for whom I have much respect.)

darn i always do that o well. don't think there is much difference between the schools neway i just thought id try to get internet tough on you.

TheGrove

No need for internet tough, I've been to playoff games in your home gym - that's a tough enough experience.  :)

tpm4286

Not going to lie but this POY talk is pissing me off. It will be Patch so all you Catholic chumps that think it will be Banzhaf wait your turn. Stop looking at numbers and look at the player and team as a whole and the actual individual player and how he contributed on and off the court. Word on the street in DC is that Banzhaf is not to bright in the classroom and is a little big headed and socially doesn't get along with other students.

Maryland over Duke let's go terps

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: tpm4286 on February 25, 2009, 06:20:17 PM
Not going to lie but this POY talk is pissing me off. It will be Patch so all you Catholic chumps that think it will be Banzhaf wait your turn. Stop looking at numbers and look at the player and team as a whole and the actual individual player and how he contributed on and off the court. Word on the street in DC is that Banzhaf is not to bright in the classroom and is a little big headed and socially doesn't get along with other students.

Maryland over Duke let's go terps

What is wrong with you?  That's a ridiculous thing to say and its completely false.  He's a great kid and a great teammate.  I've never heard anything like that--especially in terms of him having a big head.  Actually from what I've seen its the opposite.  People have various opinions about POY but everybody but you has managed to be respectful.  Slandering some kid you don't know the first thing about is pathetic.

Silly me for thinking that a kid who is leading the league in scoring by a mile and is shooting 65% should be a leading contender for POY.

Scranton up by 4 at half time.  Low scoring game.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.