MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Next topic -- are the dominos done falling in the Mid-Atlantic? Seems likely there are more moves to be made, as more schools may be trying to get out of the MAC and the league keeps filling from the PAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

cuabigdog

for anyone intrested :::

Vermont's Chris Holm and Mike Lonergan Honored
March 4, 2007

BURLINGTON, Vt. – University of Vermont men's basketball senior Chris Holm (Henderson, Nev.) was named to the United States Basketball Writers Association All- District I Team and the CollegeInsider.com America East Most Valuable Player, while head coach Mike Lonergan earned the web sites conference coach of the year honor. The top-seeded Catamounts (25-6, 15-1 America East) will host the America East Championship Finals on Saturday at 12:00pm against #2 Albany. The USBWA and CollegeInsider.com made the announcements on Tuesday.

Holm, an America East All-Conference First Team selection, is the only student-athlete from the league to be honored by the USBWA. The 6-foot-11 forward has been a huge presence inside for the Catamounts this season, as he is only one of 12 players in the nation to average a double-double. Holm is third on the team in scoring (10.7) and is second in the nation in rebounds, averaging 12.4 per contest. He also leads the country in offensive rebounds this season.

His 16 double-doubles is four times as many as the next closest total in the America East and he is also fourth in the conference in blocked shots. With 383 rebounds on the year, Holm has already smashed the UVM single season record with at least two games remaining. The old mark was set in 1960-61 by Benny Becton, who had 350.

Boston College's Jared Dudley was named player of the year in the region, while Holm was joined on the District I first team by Jeff Adrien (Connecticut), Rashaun Freeman (Massachusetts), Aaron Gray (Pittsburgh), Herbert Hill (Providence), Stephane Lasme (Massachusetts), Javier Mojica (Central Connecticut), Curtis Sumpter (Villanova) and Frank Young (West Virginia). District I is made up of teams from Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Connecticut.

Lonergan, the America East Coach of the Year, becomes only the second coach in league history to guide his squad to the finals in each of his first two seasons at the school, joining Karl Fogel of Northeastern (1986-87). He is 38-23 in his first two seasons at the helm of the Catamounts. This year Vermont broke the school record for wins in the regular season with 23 and is currently tied for the all-time record of 25 with at least two contests still remaining.

Vermont was picked to finish third in the preseason coaches' poll, but locked up the regular season championship outright at Boston University on February 22. Lonergan also helped the Catamount record their best winning percentage in conference history this season with a mark of 15-1 (.938). Vermont has won 13 straight overall and 20 of its last 21 heading into Saturday's championship game.

Holm and the Catamounts will now face #2 Albany on Saturday at Patrick Gym in the conference title game. It will be a 12:00pm tip-off and televised on ESPN2 and streamed live on the web on www.americaeast.com. The game can be heard live on WEAV-AM 960, WXZO-FM 96.7, WCVR-FM 102.1 (Randolph), and on the internet at www.uvmathletics.com with the audio stream provided by sportsjuice.com.

Vermont Athletics
Vermont Athletic eNewsletters keep you up to date on the latest information concerning your favorite Catamount teams.
email: sportspr@uvm.edu
phone: 802.656.1818
web: http://www.uvmathletics.com 
CUA 2001 NCAA  DIII Basketball National Champions

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: Salem, VA on March 06, 2007, 03:38:57 PM
Thank you kitchenrat

D-Mac are you saying schools from the LANDMARK never lower there standards for an athlete.  I find that hard to believe

This is getting kind of ridiculous Salem.  Have you been paying ANY attention to what's happened to the CAC recently?

Your argument is that CAC teams don't lower their standards for athletes...really?  Can you explain to me then why the supposedly HONORS college of Maryland accept a kid who 1) didn't even go to a legitimate high school, and 2). never actually met the minimum requirements for the SAT. 

Of course, all that is gravy compared to the fact that said "student" athlete was busted for dealing drugs 12 games into his tenure, but you get my point.  The following year, the same CAC school accepted another kid who was kicked out of D1 for posession with intent to sell.

If you don't call that lowering your standards, what do you call it?

As for Landmark Schools, part of the reason for this conference is so that these schools don't have to lower their students to be competitive.  I can't speak for any other institution, but I can give you an idea as to what its like for Catholic University.  Of last year's senior class, Shane Sowden was named male student athlete of the year at the University, and graudated with a GPA I believe in the 3.8 range.  His counterpart big man, Matt Spirenberg, is currently persuing an advanced degree at the University.

As far as next year's class, its already public knowledge that one of CUA's top recruits has a 1310 SAT score.  Now, is every kid who plays basketball at Catholic a brainiac? Surely not.  CUA, like many other institutions, looks for well rounded kids, and that includes athletics.  Perhaps that might mean a little bit lower GPA or SAT score than normal, which is compensated by leadership shown in other areas.

But since I know the CUA program and the kids that have gone through it so well, I can honestly tell you that the basketball team accurately reflects the caliber of students at the University as a whole.   My hope is that the Landmark Conference will feature schools that are the same way--athletes that are not dramatically different that the student body as a whole in terms of qualifications. 

One of the key things to look at too is turnover.   Most of the players that you see sitting on the bench at CUA are getting honored at senior night four years later.  At quite a few other CAC schools, I've seen numerous players disappear, never to be heard from again.  Mike Lonergan graduated 100% of his players, and that tradition continues.

cold_case

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 06, 2007, 07:38:19 PM
Next topic -- are the dominos done falling in the Mid-Atlantic? Seems likely there are more moves to be made, as more schools may be trying to get out of the MAC and the league keeps filling from the PAC.

If what you say is true, the MAC should change it's name to the RDC: Revolving Door Conference, or the LOL: Left Out League.

On a lighter side, did anyone watch the Sun Belt final between North Texas and Arkansas St.?
Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt's brother was the Arkansas St. head coach. His name: Dickie Nutt. I'm not kidding. 8)

ColonelJohn4Life

Quote from: Salem, VA on March 06, 2007, 12:11:58 PM
Cardinal guy relax, i am typing fast and can really careless about english grammer on the board

The irony is rich.

[smacks head]
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Ralph Turner

QuoteBut since I know the CUA program and the kids that have gone through it so well, I can honestly tell you that the basketball team accurately reflects the caliber of students at the University as a whole.   My hope is that the Landmark Conference will feature schools that are the same way--athletes that are not dramatically different that the student body as a whole in terms of qualifications. 

Devil's advocate, here.

By what social scientist's metric are you saying that the athletes involved are dramatically different from the student body?

Two standard deviations on any standardized testing?

Are you eliminating those student-athletes who don't have the narrow definition of intelligence that your using?  (See Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theory.)

Warren Thompson

Pat, what "more moves" do you anticipate?

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2007, 08:10:18 AM
QuoteBut since I know the CUA program and the kids that have gone through it so well, I can honestly tell you that the basketball team accurately reflects the caliber of students at the University as a whole.   My hope is that the Landmark Conference will feature schools that are the same way--athletes that are not dramatically different that the student body as a whole in terms of qualifications. 

Devil's advocate, here.

By what social scientist's metric are you saying that the athletes involved are dramatically different from the student body?

Are you eliminating those student-athletes who don't have the narrow definition of intelligence that your using?  (See Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theory.)

Yikes, who invited the square? ;D
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

cold_case

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 07, 2007, 09:47:00 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2007, 08:10:18 AM

Devil's advocate, here.

Yikes, who invited the square? ;D
"Square?"   :o

I thought that was a "diversity" question!  :D

NEPAFAN

Pat,

Do you plan on keeping your sources for the Miseri and Alvernia invite to the MAC confidential?

We know for a fact that Lycoming is moving to the MAC-Commonwealth.  Rumors of Kings and Wilkes looking elsewhere....that leaves Desales, Del Val, and Fdu-Florham the only teams firmly in the MAC-Freedom.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

cold_case

Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 07, 2007, 10:20:31 AMWe know for a fact that Lycoming is moving to the MAC-Commonwealth.  Rumors of Kings and Wilkes looking elsewhere....that leaves Desales, Del Val, and Fdu-Florham the only teams firmly in the MAC-Freedom.

From what I've gathered, the MAC may have the look of the PAC in the next two years.
I hear Elizabethtown may be leaving for the CAC and Messiah wants out.
Lyco is presently headed to the Commonwealth but it's a good bet it will only be for one year. They already compete in the Empire 8 in football and are highly interested in joining that conference in all sports.
King's has scheduled football games this coming fall with two Empire 8 schools and they have a solid relationship with a third school, Alfred. Keep that possible move for all sports in mind after next year.
Wilkes, and this is a long shot, could find themselves in the NJAC. Cortland State plays football in that league so Wilkes bolting is a slight possibility.
On a sad note, nobody is beating down the doors at Lebanon Valley and with good reason.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: cold_case on March 07, 2007, 11:22:08 AM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on March 07, 2007, 10:20:31 AMWe know for a fact that Lycoming is moving to the MAC-Commonwealth.  Rumors of Kings and Wilkes looking elsewhere....that leaves Desales, Del Val, and Fdu-Florham the only teams firmly in the MAC-Freedom.

Lyco is presently headed to the Commonwealth but it's a good bet it will only be for one year. They already compete in the Empire 8 in football and are highly interested in joining that conference in all sports.

{Say what? Susquehanna is going to the Liberty for football.}

On a sad note, nobody is beating down the doors at Lebanon Valley and with good reason.

{If it's not too much trouble, kindly explain your comment above ....}

cold_case

WT,
I'd be more than happy to answer your question in regards to my post as soon as you answer my repeated post to you from a couple days ago.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: cold_case on March 07, 2007, 11:53:23 AM
WT,
I'd be more than happy to answer your question in regards to my post as soon as you answer my repeated post to you from a couple days ago.

Alright, here goes: I'm not aware that E-town has issues with any other venue.