MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gabriel on May 17, 2018, 12:01:21 PM
Interesting conversation regarding coaches aspirations.  Some coaches just prefer D-III and are happy coaching where they are.  Obvious examples are the current longest tenured coaches in the CC in Glenn Robinson and Kevin Small---and until recently George Petrie.  Probably, all three have had opportunities to move on and have chosen not to---many times for family reasons but also because they are happy where they are.  I doubt that any of them have applied for other positions in recent years if ever.
Perhaps some of the recent hires feel the same way----and again, maybe not.  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

It is amazing the conversations I have with coaches around this topic. I can figure out those who absolutely are happy in the division and don't have higher aspirations. I know the ones who say that, but are not being serious or honest with me. And I appreciate those who duck the question because they don't want to be disrespectful with their answer - which I do understand.

The funny thing: I had a conversation with a coach once who loves DIII. They have been terrific for DIII. I'm a big fan. We talked several times about why they wouldn't want to leave for a higher division. The pros, the cons, the likes, the dislikes of each higher division and whatnot. I was pretty convinced no matter what rumor I may hear in the future ... they wouldn't be leaving the division. They left for a higher division. When we chatted (we stay in touch)... the one caveat mentioned, but dismissed even by the coach, was financial. They couldn't turn down the financial impact it would have with their family. They happened to be head hunted for the position they took. I can't blame them, but it still stunk to lose a diehard DIII-er to a higher division.

There are lots of motives in coaching and I am convinced that there are very few coaches who take a position that either know it is the position they will call their's for the rest of their career or know they will use it as a stepping stone to another job. They may have ideas, but they never know what will happen in the future or how things play out. I know coaches who thought they would be past jobs they are currently in years ago - they can't get another one as of yet. I know coaches who swore they wouldn't be on to another place and yet find themselves two or three jobs down the road. It is a crazy business.

I think there are more coaches to turnover in the Centennial in the next year or so... and I think about half are long term guys and others are stopping point guys. It all depends on the circumstances where they are and what is on their road ahead of them.

And I could be wrong about all of that. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Well put Dave. There are other circumstances that you definitely know of that are also impactful in decisions to stay and leave: enrollment quotas, budget cuts and financial aid packages- just a few. The younger the coach, I believe, the less roots get planted. I imagine it hard to uproot a family, find new schools (for kids), daycares, a job for a spouse, selling and buying a home..... making sure benefits are not a step backwards including tuition exchange which is dependent upon years of service.... all things many young coaches don't have to think about- I imagine the younger the coach, the less roots planted, the more likely the passion to advance is present. A coach in their mid 30's with a family has to think of the aforementioned and a coach with children nearing college thinks of those things and the potential of losing free tuition. There are many factors as we are all aware of. Why did Marcus Kahn leave Cabrini- money? Or because that is where his wife is from (Mary Wash area). Why was Dickinson attractive for Serretti- way better job than Altoona? Yes but his wife is from local to Carlisle, about 30-40 miles. Family brings D3 coaches to jobs and keeps  them there. It's a family friendly environment. Young coaches don't have nor need to look for those attachments- nothing wrong with that. I personally don't see guys like Serretti, Loeffler, maybe Curly leaving. They have young families and have or are planting roots. But you never know. Enjoyable discussion.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'm going to go out on a limb and say of the three you mentioned, CCHoopster, at least two will be gone in the next five years (or less). Not going to start naming who and why here - happy to discuss things in private with those I trust won't be spreading rumors - but, those three are an interesting group to choose. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

interesting. Can't imagine it being easy to recruit in the Centennial.

Gabriel

Congratulations to Mike McGarvey for his selection as the next Lycoming head basketball coach.  A superb selection by Lycoming and well deserved.  Mike is a class act and an excellent basketball coach.  I think he was a finalist for a couple of other jobs in the past two years and finally gets his chance.

centfan

i also want to wish mike mcgarvey the very best....great person and player. lycoming is lucky to have him.

Gabriel

Re: CC Silver Anniversary Team

I don't dispute any of the selections. I did not see any of the 1990s players but assume they were very good.

Biggest omission was Nick Shattuck from Ursinus.  In my view he was the best of the best.  As I recall, Nick dropped a class during his last semester in college--about the time he broke his foot--and did not graduate with his class being short the necessary credits.  Apparently, he never took the requisite steps to get the degree.  What a shame.

gordonmann

I wonder how frequently that happens. I know of other athletes who were superb but didn't receive these types of career-level awards because they didn't actually graduate.

Gabriel

Gordon, good question.  Regarding Ursinus, I don't remember any men's basketball player, other than Nick,  who attended Ursinus and played for four years who did not graduate on time. Nick's situation was an anomaly given the timing etc.  Nevertheless, he should have made up the three or four credits by now and received his degree.  Probably why his jersey is not hanging from the rafters at Helfferich alongside Stanton and McGarvey's.

mailsy

I can't see why a student athlete can't be named to an anniversary team. That SA did play and excel. The CSAC just named the CSAC 25th team and Aaron Walton-Moss was named to that team and he's probably more than a semester away from graduating. I do know though he will not be named to the schools Hall of Fame because of not graduating. The only way, I believe, he'll get in is if they honor the 2012 team that made it to the National championship game.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Gabriel

Ursinus Bears men's basketball team is having a great time in Portugal and Spain right now.  They have played two games so far and won both but more importantly they are having fun----together. They take an overseas trip every three years. Great experience for them.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mailsy on August 09, 2018, 12:09:30 PM
I can't see why a student athlete can't be named to an anniversary team. That SA did play and excel. The CSAC just named the CSAC 25th team and Aaron Walton-Moss was named to that team and he's probably more than a semester away from graduating. I do know though he will not be named to the schools Hall of Fame because of not graduating. The only way, I believe, he'll get in is if they honor the 2012 team that made it to the National championship game.

Maybe.

Coach K is known to not allow banners to be raised for any team(s) that hasn't had everyone fully graduated.

mailsy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 13, 2018, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: mailsy on August 09, 2018, 12:09:30 PM

Maybe.

Coach K is known to not allow banners to be raised for any team(s) that hasn't had everyone fully graduated.

Are you saying that the former head coach would have a possible say in blocking an attempt by his former employer to recognize that 2012 team in its own Hall of Fame?  ???
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am not sure... all I'm saying is that Duke doesn't raise banners about the basketball program unless everyone from that class (group?) has graduated. I cannot find the damn stories I have seen on it, but it's a pretty well known story.

Maybe he/others have the same protocol for their Hall of Fame.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am surprised I am the one posting this considering I haven't had time to be on the boards until now: http://www.centennial.org/general/2018-19/News/Ulrich-Retirement