MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Clock as seen on my puter showed 1 sec, but had to be less as no players on the line as you said.
As far as the .3 seconds—or should I say only .3 seconds? Well, whats the clock operator's reaction time?? 🤔  ::)

duckfan41

What an incredible game between Loras and Augie. Ryan DiCanio played one heck of a game.

Regarding the end of the game. Nolan Ebel's "layup" at the end was called a goaltend to put Augie up 73-72. On the ensuing inbounds play, DiCanio threw a baseball pass to Jake Toman which was tipped, then hit the bleachers, which would account for less time coming off of the clock if the ball had been tipped and touched nothing else before touching the ground.

After the ball was essentially advanced to half, Loras inbounded the ball to DiCanio in the corner, who then split a double team and drove to the rack, was fouled (there was a missed goaltend on this one) and made two FT's with .1 on the clock.

Riley056

The finish to this game was one to remember. Loras has now had 2 wins in this fashion..

Yogao

Quote from: AndOne on November 21, 2018, 10:25:43 PM
Clock as seen on my puter showed 1 sec, but had to be less as no players on the line as you said.
As far as the .3 seconds—or should I say only .3 seconds? Well, whats the clock operator's reaction time?? 🤔  ::)

He had amazing reaction time to start and stop the clock that fast on the first inbound pass.

You also can't go 17-26 from the free throw line including 4-8 from Ebel, and expect to win close games. 

BobbyO

Quote from: Yogao on November 21, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
Quote from: AndOne on November 21, 2018, 10:25:43 PM

He had amazing reaction time to start and stop the clock that fast on the first inbound pass.

You also can't go 17-26 from the free throw line including 4-8 from Ebel, and expect to win close games.

A great game by Loras.  If you don't make your free throws you deserve to lose.  Turn overs by Loras kept the game close.  Someday Augie will learn to put the other team away early.  Lot of good team to play yet, some they will lose. 

duckfan41

Here's the link to the closing seconds from last night, following the Loras goaltend and full court inbound attempt.

https://twitter.com/duhawkmbb/status/1065659603944382464?s=21

Titan Q

Quote from: Titan Q on November 19, 2018, 11:33:38 AM
Quote from: duckfan41 on November 19, 2018, 10:43:33 AM
I'll be in Dubuque Wednesday night to watch Augustana take on Loras. I'm interested to see if Augie decides to throw the kitchen sink at Josh Ruggles, or if they assign Orange to him all night. Should be a very fun and competitive game! Story could very well end up being if Jordan Boyd of Loras is ready to go toe to toe with the top of the line when it comes to the CCIW's big men.

This is a very intriguing game.  I think Loras is really good.

On Selection Sunday I believe this result will be significant for both teams, and maybe both leagues.

As I mentioned a few days ago, this was potentially a huge result in terms of the NCAA tournament picture.  In Division III, games in November mean absolutely as much as games in late-February -- and it seems to me we will be referring back to the Loras win over Augie come Selection Sunday.

Loras is really good - a team that could go very deep in the tournament.  Augie losing at Loras is not much of an upset in reality as I see it.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: duckfan41 on November 22, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
Here's the link to the closing seconds from last night, following the Loras goaltend and full court inbound attempt.

Man. I worked my butt off on Thanksgiving morning to put that on the front page of D3hoops.com, too. :(
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

duckfan41

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 22, 2018, 09:03:07 PM
Quote from: duckfan41 on November 22, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
Here’s the link to the closing seconds from last night, following the Loras goaltend and full court inbound attempt.

Man. I worked my butt off on Thanksgiving morning to put that on the front page of D3hoops.com, too. :(

Sorry! I should have included your link as well. That’s my bad! We’re all thankful for the work you do Pat!

https://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/11/loras-defeats-augustana

bbfan44

Don't they say you need .3 seconds to catch, turn, and shoot?
I think the player did more  than that in .3 seconds.  Regardless of what happened in the previous 39 plus minutes with making or missing layups and free throws...this didn't end right.  A home clock and a home call.
But congrats to the kid for making the two free throws...not everyone could have done that.

duckfan41

Quote from: bbfan44 on November 22, 2018, 10:05:31 PM
Don't they say you need .3 seconds to catch, turn, and shoot?
I think the player did more  than that in .3 seconds.  Regardless of what happened in the previous 39 plus minutes with making or missing layups and free throws...this didn't end right.  A home clock and a home call.
But congrats to the kid for making the two free throws...not everyone could have done that.

There were 3 seconds left when the ball was inbounded.

bbfan44

Duckfan, you're right about the time, my bad.
But I lean towards having a no call on that play.  Not much contact from that camera angle.  The ref's mind set at that time of the game should have been...no blood, no foul....you and I know that every foul in a game isn't always  called...just a fans opinion.  Again, grats on the pressure foul shots though.

4samuy

IMO the more important call was the initial inbounds pass from the baseline to half court with 3.3 seconds remaining.  The pass was tipped by Augustana into the stands.  Once the tip is made the clock should start and not stop until the ball hits something out of bounds.  I couldn't confirm when the whistle blew, but IMO that would take at least a second off the clock and a whistle should not blow until that happens.  That, IMO cannot happen in less than 1 second.

duckfan41

Quote from: 4samuy on November 22, 2018, 11:42:44 PM
IMO the more important call was the initial inbounds pass from the baseline to half court with 3.3 seconds remaining.  The pass was tipped by Augustana into the stands.  Once the tip is made the clock should start and not stop until the ball hits something out of bounds.  I couldn't confirm when the whistle blew, but IMO that would take at least a second off the clock and a whistle should not blow until that happens.  That, IMO cannot happen in less than 1 second.

More than worth noting that in order for the play at the rim to happen, DiCanio split a double team (quadruple team if you count the baseline and sideline as defenders) in order to get to the rim to receive the foul call. In fairness, I think they went with a foul instead of the clear goaltend that happened (Orange touched the ball after it already went off of the glass) to avoid the game ending on a goaltending violation (would have been the 2nd goaltending call within 5 seconds of game clock).

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (4-0) vs Westminster (0-3), 6pm at Webster...

Titans (4-0)
G - Brady Rose, 6-3/185 Sr.  28.0 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.5 apg
G - Colin Bonnett, 6-4/190 Sr.  12.0 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 3.3 apg
G - Jason Gregoire, 6-4/205 Sr.  10.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.5 apg
F - Charlie Bair, 6-7/205 So.  8.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg
C - Alex O'Neill, 6-9/245 Jr.  6.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg

Bluejays (0-3)
G - Carter Wands, 5-10/155 Sr. 7.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.5 apg
G - Kobe Wands, 5-10/160 Jr.  16.0 pppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.4 apg
G - Collin Caywood, 6-3/185 Sr.  3.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.0 apg
F - Stu Hollandsworth, 6-4/200 Sr.  10.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg
F - Romo Tabb, 6-5/210 Sr.  18.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg

Video - https://livestream.com/accounts/24204770

Live Stats - http://sidearmstats.com/webster/mbball/xlive.htm

Pantagraph - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/iwu-back-to-st-louis-for-pair-of-games/article_16780acf-797c-5be6-b59e-68c0a068e282.html