MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnu85

Captj,

Don't think I can make the noon game tomorrow...can't seem to break away from everything in the middle of a weekend day. I hope you'll be there...I'll look for your comments.  I'll probably miss FT's radio call as well. My wife needs a boyfriend to keep her busy during hoops season!

captj

Quote from: cnu85 on January 13, 2006, 08:22:38 PM
My wife needs a boyfriend to keep her busy during hoops season!

Uh... I've been putting off having this conversation with you, but...

I'll be at the game, for sure.  Random thoughts to follow.  Hopefully happy ones.

Go Captains!

narch

Quote from: GCGullett on January 13, 2006, 12:54:31 PM
If we play like we did that last 10min of the game i think we are capable of turning some heads.
unfortunately, basketball is not a 10 minute game - again, i'll believe it when i see it from gc, but i like your enthusiasm for your team...please stay with us, even after it becomes obvious that gc ISN'T a contender

cnu85

hmm....game time in about 90 minutes.....too wet to work in the yard.....kids are off doing their thing.....hmm......maybe I'll see you there Captj!

cnufan

Like you have anything else better to do 85!! Redskins dont come on until 430!! Youll be fine!! There's always Sunday!!

cnu85

Goose.....Redskins?...yawn!

Hey....CMU is good! don;t tell anybody....they put a whoopin' on us. Their big guy was unstoppable.....shot 90% from behind the 3 pt line in first half!!

Can we please shoot a FT??? 26-45 is not gonna cut it!!! I think Captj can bounce a higher % in the hoop!!!

CMU needs new shoes...they looked more like soccer cleats.....then they took those soccer cleats and wiped CNU all over the floor!! FUNDAMENTALS!! They are very fundamental. CNU had 4 Off. RB in the 1st half!!! CMU blocks out, runs well, shoots well.....they don't make many mistakes. Although, they don't look very deep. They could be in trouble during tournament time.

Romeo is cold! Not sure what is up. I told Captj at the game that if Romeo were a D1 NBA prospect his value in the draft wouldbe dropping like a rock. His 3 pt shots were all short (I think he made 1 or 2).

Back to conference play where we should do very well.....if we can make more than 58% FT.

cnu85

score not posted yet.....CMU beats CNU 94-81. The score was closer than the game. CNU matches up well against the end of the bench for CMU.

captj

Random thoughts from CNU (10-4) vs. Carnegie Mellon (13-1)

CMU  49 – 45 – 94
CNU   38 – 43 – 81

94-81 seems respectable, but the Captains never challenged the VERY, VERY good Tartans.  The Tartans had way too much talent for us to answer.  They are so strong nine-deep, and are so fundamentally strong and so big that we just couldn't seem to answer.  They were wide open so many times it was ridiculous.

We got killed on the boards (36-53).  Like I said, they were just too big and always seemed to be in position.  They had 37 defensive boards, one more than our total, but they also had 16 offensive rebounds! 

We actually won the TO battle (12-17), but with so many second chances theirs didn't hurt them like ours did.  2nd chance points 4-20 in favor of you-know-who.

Romeo, Romeo... wherefore art thou Romeo?!

Riley was our most effective offensively (7-12 for 19 in 26 minutes).  I think he will continue to get more minutes.  Whichever starter that plays ineffectively will lose their minutes to him.  Tonight it was Romeo that lost PT (18 minutes).

Blasingame fought like a warrior but was just outmanned.  Picking up his 3rd foul 20 seconds into the 2nd half didn't help.  9 and 9 with 4 blocks. 

Witham the first sub into the game?  I guess that CJ was trying to counter the big bodies.  Did McShepherd put his foot down and refuse to play a post position?  NO minutes for out tallest player.  I think I have an idea why, but I'm not going to say it.

And finally... free throws!  Nothing free about them with this team.  26 for 45 for 58%.  Nineteen missed free throws.  I could just feel the fans around me deflate as one shot after another fell off the rim.  I think we actually finished with 4 consceutive made shots to make it seem a little better statistically, but for most of the game we just squandered one opportunity after another.  Here's the scenario,,, we're down by 11 with 7 seconds left in the 1st half.  We're at the line for one-and-one with a chance to cut the margin to a single digit.  Take a guess whether that one went in.

In the pre-game interview CJ said that the free throw strategy going into this game was "to not talk about it".  Try something else, please!  Sticking your head in the sand is not going to make the problem go away.  The basketball coach at my high school made the players make 10 in a row before they could leave the gym after each practice.  Tell them to bring their sleeping bags to practice if they need to.  I don't think that I'm giving away trade secrets by suggesting that teams are going to make fouls a strategic part of their game plans for defending some of our guys.

I didn't hear the post-game interview so I don't know how CJ felt about this game, but I am not a happy fan.  Even though we were playing a better team, we could have played better than we did.  There were too many defensive breakdowns, mental mistakes, and missed free throws for me to consider this a moral victory.  Our past success may have given us high expectations, but I don't think that they are unreasonable.  That past success has also given us experience being the team on the other side of mismatches when inferior teams pulled out upset wins against us.  I'd like to see us win a game like this one sometime.

captj

Quote from: Goose13 on January 13, 2006, 09:26:35 AM
Onyie is done for the year for academic reasons

shotblocker says he was "suspended".  I'm not sure there is a distinction, but I think there is.  If he was done because of academics, they would have known that when grades were posted in December, right?  If that were the case they would probably have to forfeit the two January wins that Onyie played in.  I'm just glad we beat the Hornets with him on the team.

I think this makes the conference race a little clearer.  I don't see SU hosting a first round tournament game.  SU is just too thin in the post now, though I expect Miller will step up very capably.  But you can't lose a player like that without making the team weaker... ask narch if I'm right.

cnufan

79-74  NCW over SU with 130 left in the game.

PrideFan1986

I tell yall one thing if you get GC down dont count them out. They came back again today and made it a really close game.

narch

Quote from: GCGullett on January 14, 2006, 07:41:25 PM
I tell yall one thing if you get GC down dont count them out. They came back again today and made it a really close game.
really close doesn't count :)

monarchs go to 2-0 with a 14 pt victory over fc - i wasn't able to see the game, but looks like thomas finally decided to get aggressive and took 14 shots (scoring 21 pts and grabbing 11 boards) - too many to's, but a win is a win

box score

narch

Quote from: captj on January 14, 2006, 05:09:39 PM
If he was done because of academics, they would have known that when grades were posted in December, right?  If that were the case they would probably have to forfeit the two January wins that Onyie played in. 

captj - there is no way su would ever use an ineligible player....oops, they did in football, though :)

they PROBABLY could use him until 2nd semester classes started, or somethimg

AUCougars

Gullett, your backcourt is a good one.  Our coach thought alot of Berg and McDuffie.  Berg was only 3-13 vs. AU, but that was mostly due to a great defensive effort from Cory McDaniel.  Berg didn't have many open looks. 

GC has some tremendous size on the interior and I am surprised that Tamini and Camp combined for only 10 shot attempts.  Take into account that GC grabbed 16 offensive rebounds, most of those attempts probably came on second chance opportunities.  I think those big bodies should get more touches in the paint.  I was impressed by those guys, as well as the back court.

As for Averett, good to see Andrew Boor back.  He hasn't played to his potential following the early season injury.  He looked very good on Saturday, however.  Also, I love the freshman guard Dominique Stevenson.  He is as quick as anyone in the league and a menace on defense at only 5'6 (A kind 5'6). 

hugenerd

CNU fans, I have a question for you:

I was wondering what you thought of Carnegie Mellon compared to Lincoln (in terms of talent, style of play, etc).  If any of you have seen both games (CMU vs. CNU, Lincoln vs. CNU), I would appreciate any insight or comments.  Thanks.