MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnu85

look on the bright side Captj...we were 3-4 on FT to close the half!!! Before that we were 2-11!! I think you could bounce.....

We're gonna lose this one......Captains missing FT, Romeo remains cold.....getting beat on the boards.....

cnu85

is it me..or does it seem to anyone else that NCW is driving to the hoop at will??

cnu85

too many fouls...this game is hard to listen to....any word on the GC/FC game?

captj

Gboro 63
FU 52

Pat's going to be mad at you for asking without going to the scoreboard first!

cnu85

I do it on purpose..... :D

Captj...which game was better...NCW or CMU????

cnu85

I don't think I've ever heard CJ as ticked as he just was on the post game! I'd hate to be at practice thursday!!

GCman82

Big win for Pride guys and girls tonight.  Big run to open second half stretched it out for the pride.  Ferrum got it down to about nine or so but never really got close.  Haynes is the toughest place to play in conf.

captj

NCW – 93
CNU – 80

Captains had way too many turnovers and not nearly enough rebounds and made free throws to counter two very hot players (Hall with 36, Arrington with 27).  Did no one defend those guys? 

NCW – 47 rebounds
CNU – 35 rebounds

CNU – 19/35 FT (54%)
Hall (NCW) - 19/22 FT (matches THE ENTIRE CNU TEAM for made FT)

Barton 24 pts
Romeo 14 pts on 4/13 (31% fg), 1/8 (13% 3fg)

I'm pretty disappointed, to say the least.

captj

Quote from: GCman82 on January 17, 2006, 09:48:15 PM
Haynes is the toughest place to play in conf.

Pretty bold statement!

narch

Quote from: captj on January 17, 2006, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: GCman82 on January 17, 2006, 09:48:15 PM
Haynes is the toughest place to play in conf.

Pretty bold statement!

and the monarchs have already won there...good to know they've won in the toughest place to play in the conf.

i love how the gc fans get so pumped over a home win against ferrum...not exactly anything to write home about

for me, still no details on the au/mc barn-burner...maybe it's better that i don't know - i hope that i don't find out the monarchs had a 20+ point lead that they blew (as they did against both gc and ferrum before pulling out the w) - gotta finish, and gotta win at home - right now i'd say au is looking like they are in the best shape because of record (obviously) and getting a win on the road against a contender

narch

ok, i've at least got a box score - looking at the play by play it looks like the monarchs were up 12 about 1/2 way through the second half, then averett took a lead and mc needed 2 seth thomas ft's with about :20 left to force ot - looks like au was pretty dominant in ot - thomas had another really nice night with 18/11, but still only took 11 shots...i think he needs to get 14-16 shots, within the system, on a nightly basis - he did have 5 turnovers, which is uncharacteristic of him - lee had an abysmal night shooting the ball (1-10/0-4) to continue a trend of poor shooting at home that was the case last year...not sure what's going on there - monarchs won the rebound battle, but didn't shoot well enough and had too many to's - gotta get better boys!

GO MONARCHS!

PrideFan1986

GC's win vs. Ferrum may not seem very big, but consider. James Newman, arguably the team's most talented player (many of you had him on pre-season all-conf. teams) did not play due to innjury.

Berg had a huge game (27 pts) and can really shoot. Expect some other big games by #12. FC hasn't won but they have talent and you've got to play well to beat them.

And the comment bout the toughest place to play is true. I have been on the road alot with our teams and been to the conference sites and I have not found anywhere louder than Haynes Gym. The only place that could come close to touching the toughest place is to play is Averett with the Blue Crew.

narch

game story from monarchs online

game story from the fayetteville observer

captj

It seems to me that if a team successfully defends its home court year after year, it is a "tough place to play".  Since CNU has only lost 6 conference games at home in the past 10 YEARS, it must be a "tough place to play".  Ferrum beat us last year (yeah, I was shocked also), Greensboro beat us in 03-04, Methodist beat us in 03-04 and 96-97, NCW beat us in 03-04 and 01-02.  The rest of you guys haven't won at CNU for at least a decade.  Show me a team that has defended its home court better than that.

captj

In the last decade, CNU has won the following away games in hostile territory –

Averett – 10 years in a row!
Ferrum – 9 times
Greensboro – 7 times
NCW – 6 times
Methodist – 6 times
Shenandoah – 4 times

So, unless CNU is the ONLY team to beat the Hornets in Winchester the last decade, then CNU's 6 total losses at home to all of the USASAC teams COMBINED, certainly has defended its home court the best.

AND, if you want to use CNU's ability to get wins in hostile territory as a litmus test for the rest of the conference, then Shenandoah is the SECOND toughest place to play, followed by Methodist and NCW, with Greensboro the FIFTH toughest place to play.