MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrooks3

Centre got through the 1st round Thursday evening with a hard-fought 78-71 victory over an athletic bunch from LaGrange. Donavan Whiteside made several clutch plays in the closing minutes to propel the Colonels to this win. He led Centre with 24 points. Now the Colonels head to GA for a 2nd round matchup with Emory.  With a victory Centre would move on to the sweet 16 next weekend.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Another solid season for Centre basketball as the Colonels finish 24-5 having won the SAA tournament and advancing to the 2nd round of the NCAA Division 3 tournament before falling this evening to Emory 72-62.  Emory played stifling defense while holding Centre to 33.3% from the field in punching their ticket for the sweet sixteen next weekend.  Centre has lots to build on heading to next season.  Congratulations coaches and players.  Good luck to the seniors as you move on in your lives & careers.
🏀🏀🏀

hoopwatcher

Season about ready to start.  Centre the favorite again or is this the year balance of power changes.  Oglethorpe should be pretty good this year and Berry brought  in a lot of new players.  Anybody have any insight or want to talk about it?

scottiedoug

Centre at Maryville Nov. 15.  What can we expect from the Colonels?

awadelewis

Sewanee meets old foe in exhibition game at Vanderbilt:
http://www.sewaneetigers.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/20141110dmdvjh

First time since 1961.   Last Sewanee victory: 1944.

pbrooks3

Centre brings back a good nucleus of talent in Scinta, Wesley, Gump & company.  Can't report on the freshmen but Coach Mason looks to have his usual good crop of recruits.  Several players with some size are among the frosh.  Centre's Wesley is strong in the post and what Mason needs is a few more like Wesley.  4's and 5's who can rebound & bang down low while playing decent defense would help Centre in its quest to get deeper in the post-season.  Gotta believe Centre will be competitive at the very least and would be surprised if they're not near the top again.

Also know Rhodes has a long bench of players to start the season. Talent-wise among the new players I haven't a clue yet.  Hope to get a look when they play their home opener.

Can always count on Oglethorpe to field a decent team with Coach Ponder and the offensive/defensive schemes he employs.  Again I have no information on what Ponder has brought in.

Figure Birmingham Southern to have good players too.

Just getting into basketball mode myself but hope to post more consistently when the season kicks off this weekend.
🏀🏀🏀

scottiedoug

We will learn a little after Saturday, but first games are always hard to evaluate.  Maryville has some good players coming back and a couple of freshmen who are likely to play right away.

pbrooks3

Watched a few minutes of Oglethorpe's earlier exhibition game against their Alums.  Can't get much of a take-away from this viewing. 
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre opening the season took care of business at Maryville this afternoon 73-62 behind Josh Karsner's 6 3-pointers and 23 points.  Blake Scinta scored 22 on perfect shooting - 8-8 FG and 6-6 FT.  The Colonels take on Transylvania in their next game at home Wednesday. 
🏀🏀🏀

scottiedoug

As usual, Centre was well prepared and worked hard.  Karsner and Scinta were really good.  Scots were not so good, especially in the first half.  I hope Scots see y'all again at the end of the season.

pbrooks3

After an 8-0 start and a top 15 ranking, Centre took its 1st loss in Lexington VA today at the hands of Johns Hopkins 66-51.  Centre couldn't match the shooting proficiency of its opponent particularly in the 2nd half. Expect Centre to drop down in the rankings as they prepare to play a 3rd place tomorrow.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre bounced back from its John Hopkins loss with a relatively easy win over Elmira 86-60 today. Colonels shot "lights out" from deep knocking down 17-32. Centre will enter conference play next weekend at Sewanee with a 9-1 record. Johns Hopkins defeated host W & L to win the 4-team tournament.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre finally hits the SAA hardwood this Sunday @ Sewanee after going 9-1 out of conference in 2014. Actually think the loss @ W&L to Johns Hopkins should serve as motivation to the Centre team to play to their strengths.  Road games are where the champions are determined & the Colonels need to start it off right today against an improving Sewanee program.
🏀🏀🏀

scottiedoug

I am not surprised by this.  I saw both teams at Maryville and thought Sewanee was better than they have been in recent years.  And that is not an easy place to play.