FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husker Four four

So if Adams and Saxton switched teams what Ur saying is that Saxton would still perform better?

Bob.Gregg

Circumstances are impactful. I said for years that Tom Brady behind a lousy O-Line wouldn't be the Tom Brady we all know and hate.

If Drew Saxton had to play with this year's W&J O-Line, his numbers wouldn't be as good as they are now, but they'd be as good or better than Adams' numbers are this year.
If Drew Saxton had to play with this staff's hurry-up and throw the ball mentality, his numbers might not be as good as they are now, but they'd be as good or better than Adams' numbers are this year.

What I'm saying is that, in my opinion, Drew Saxton is a better overall quarterback than Jacob Adams.

It's not an indictment of the W&J player.  It's a hard fact of life.  Sometimes, the other guy's better than you.
If someone came on here and said that Jim Nance is a better football broadcaster than Bob Gregg, I wouldn't take that personally.  Now, if they said Joe Buck was better than me in baseball, then we'd probably have an issue.....LOL.

I didn't think what I was saying was that hard to understand but I hope I've cleared up any confusion.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Husker Four four

Crystal clear ;)I take it Ur not a fan of the current offensive philosophy?

Bob.Gregg

The current offensive philosophy, without variation, doesn't fit the personnel available.

Hurry up is fine,if that's what the game calls for and you have the personnel to make it work.
But slow down is fine, too, if that better serves the circumstances.

I've laid this particular incident out as an example several times:

Several years ago, W&J played at Mount Union in the NCAA Playoffs.
Mount had the #1 offense AND the #1 defense in Division III.
At the end of one quarter, Mount Union led 7-0.
And W&J took the ball in the second quarter and sprinted back to the line every play.
The Presidents FOUR full, complete to punt possessions in the quarter, lasted a TOTAL of about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in between, Mount Union was scoring four touchdowns.

My brain says this (over and over):  "we're within ONE play of Mount Union.  Let's huddle, let's use some of the clock, let's shorten the game, let's take our time, let's make sure we're ready to snap it when we're ready to snap it.  Let's give our defense, playing an incredible game so far, some time to look/talk things over, catch their breath, be really ready to go if we have to give the ball up."

A similar scenario played out at Case Western several years ago, regular season game.  Tight game in the third. CWRU goes on a long scoring drive, chunk after chunk after chunk, to pull to within one score.  W&J takes the kickoff, sprints through three plays and punts the ball back, taking all of 47 seconds off the clock, sending the defense right back out on the field.  CWRU takes advantage, drives the field, takes the lead and wins the game.

"That's who we are, that's what we do" is the explanation I've gotten every single time I've asked Coach Mike about this "philosophy"....
And I STILL don't get it.  YOU'RE in control of who you are and what you do.  Sometimes, you ought to change one, or both.

mikefln

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on October 27, 2019, 03:52:18 PM
This conference's national "standing" should be plummeting fast....

Westminster gives away a game two weeks ago against Grove City.
CMU lost to BETHANY a week ago.
CWRU has to hold on to beat Geneva yesterday, after struggling to get by St. Vincent a week ago.
W&J puts up 500+ yards, and defense plays good enough, but Presidents lose, again.

Nothing happening in this league right now that the National Committee's going to elevate the SPARTANS very high in regional rankings.
They better hope they can finish the unbeaten run through the regular season.

As a occasional observer, I think the league is getting stronger.  Minus the RJ Bower/Grove City years, this has been W&J and Thomas Moore's League.  Occasionally Waynesburg, CMU, and Case made noise, but by an large, it was the Big 2 then a bunch of average/bad teams.  In other words it was very top heavy.  So when TM left the conference, I (and I assume many others)thought it was going to be W&J running away every year. 

But look at it now.  Case is standing at top, but there is not a huge drop to the next tier of teams.  There are 5 solid teams now in CWR, CMU, GCC, W&J, and Westminster.  That was not the case a few seasons ago.  These teams can provide a nice core for the conference to build off of.  Hopefully Geneva can return to their former glory, and Bethany, St Vincent, Thiel, and Waynesburg can find ways to improve also.  But the fact that there are 5 solid teams is an improvement in my eyes.

E.115

^I'm more in the mind set and agreement with Mike.

I also wonder if it's a symptom of this conference becoming stronger and more balanced for what we're seeing in this "Any Given Saturday" type of league.  I feel many of the boats are rising with the tide with legit chances to win a league championship...or at least earn more respect.  Too bad the PAC can't have more OOC games to confirm these suspicions...but Carnegie Mellon handling MIT and W & J over Wittenberg are certainly notable that this conference is above average in strength. 

EDIT: For what it's worth, I see Case Western Reserve still does not have an OOC game for 2020-2023. https://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/future

SaintsFAN

Quote from: E.115 on October 30, 2019, 03:51:07 PM
^I'm more in the mind set and agreement with Mike.

I also wonder if it's a symptom of this conference becoming stronger and more balanced for what we're seeing in this "Any Given Saturday" type of league.  I feel many of the boats are rising with the tide with legit chances to win a league championship...or at least earn more respect.  Too bad the PAC can't have more OOC games to confirm these suspicions...but Carnegie Mellon handling MIT and W & J over Wittenberg are certainly notable that this conference is above average in strength. 

EDIT: For what it's worth, I see Case Western Reserve still does not have an OOC game for 2020-2023. https://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/future

Just one comment... definitely feel the PAC is better this year than in years previous... CWRU has been on my ballot since the pre-season, as was W&J.  Lets drop Witt victory from the strength of schedule argument.  They are most definitely down this year.  Its no doubt a nice win over a name-recognition school, but its comparable to beating a top 25 squad in 2019.   Neither W&J or Witt are having the types of year they've grown to expect.  It happens. 

But I do listen to what Bob Gregg says with particular interest.  Curious what will or won't happen with that program. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Bob.Gregg

The conference is more balanced, there's no question about that, though my evaluation must be taken with a grain of salt since I've "never worn the helmet or been in the arena."

For many years, after CMU left the conference, there was W&J and nobody else.
For a couple years, there was W&J and a once-a-decade or so challenger (Grove with Bowers, Thiel 2005, etc).
For a number of years, there was W&J, Thomas More and a very rare uprising from the rest.

Now, the current iteration of the PAC:
CWRU will be one of the AQ challengers EVERY year.
CMU is recommitting to getting back to that status.
W&J will be one of the AQ challengers just about every year.
Westminster has certainly recommitted to their excellent tradition but has to show the consistent ability to not implode against a middle-of-the-PAC team.
Grove City has come into a more modern, diverse approach on both sides of the ball and will be a challenger more often than not.
Bethany has been (and still is) very inconsistent, and regularly below the mid-point of the league.
Geneva has not been able to transition into DIII success yet, even after all these years.
St. Vincent is re-building from the ground up and will be a lower-tier team for the forseeeable future.
Waynesburg has to more-clearly identify where it wants to go and figure out how to get there.
Thiel has not been able to replicate 2005, or get anywhere close to that.

So, I will concur that the league is more competitive overall than it was, but is also only a decision or two from being back to a very top-heavy league.
If the well-endowed university (affiliate in football) members decide to do so, they could put significant distance on the rest of the field and turn it back into TWO-and-everybody-else league.
If one or more of the league's young up-and-coming successful coaches is lured away, those programs will struggle to replace them quickly and the League's competitiveness will take a step back.
WHEN one or more of the league's established, long-term coaches steps away, those programs will be challenged to replace coaches who have been, most years, good for 7-10 wins.

I'm still evaluating, in my un-helmeted mind, whether the league is really getting better (top-to-bottom) or if there is "some" mid-flight improvement combining with some top-tier regression....

ADL70

Can anyone in D3 top this state line by CWRU's Travis Johnston?

On D 7 tackles, a pass breakup, and a fumble recovery.
On O, two rushing TDs
ST 3 punts for 37 yd ave, blocked punt, and two KORs

Talk about your Swiss Army Knife.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bob.Gregg

There's more and more of that happening nowadays....

Joey Koroly:
rushing  18-72, 1 td
receiving  8-55

defense  15 solo, 2 assist, 1.5 TFL, 3 INT, 10 breakups, 1 forced fumble

punt returns  7 for 12.4 ave, 1 TD
KO returns 18 for 25.9 ave, 1 TD

ADL70

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 03, 2019, 09:22:05 AM
There's more and more of that happening nowadays....

Joey Koroly:
rushing  18-72, 1 td
receiving  8-55

defense  15 solo, 2 assist, 1.5 TFL, 3 INT, 10 breakups, 1 forced fumble

punt returns  7 for 12.4 ave, 1 TD
KO returns 18 for 25.9 ave, 1 TD

Pretty versatile as well, but no punting and no game with more than 4 tackles. His rushes all came in the GCC game.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bob.Gregg

WashJeff68

W&J clinches their 36th consecutive winning season today with the win vs St Vincents.
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

E.115

Don't get me wrong I'm super happy and appreciate that CWRU clinched the PAC...this is by no means an easy thing to do, especially with how balanced this league has become this year...but I don't understand why they take their foot off the gas once leading by a few scores...both offensively and defensively, they seem to switch into this "coasting" mode.

Leading 35-7 ... wins 35-19 (W & J)
Leading 30-9 ... wins 30-23 (Geneva)
Leading 27-10...wins 27-24 (Waynesburg)

I really hope this doesn't hurt them against CMU or in the Playoffs.  (and hopefully doesn't hurt regional rankings if experts are scoreboard watching).