University Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Returning starters, Jr CB Marting and Sr LB Oluokun were first team UAA and So DE Novak was second team.  But I believe they are the only returning starters playing this season.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

jaybird44

Two defensive starters are injured. Graduation of Nelson Nwumeh has been very tough to overcome, along with the graduation of Tate Byers, Andrew Skalman, Seth Wight, and Peter Lowery.  The losses span the DL, LB, and DB corps.

Ohio Northern had 10 offensive starters back, and its switch to an option approach gave the Bears fits.  Last week at Rhodes, Murphy's Law reigned with self-inflicted mishaps in all phases of the game.  Hopefully WashU regains traction tomorrow.

DagarmanSpartan

Very disappointing performance.  St. Vincent was on something like a 22 game losing streak.  We'd better bounce back, or this could be a rough season.

casefldad

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on September 20, 2014, 03:54:15 PM
Very disappointing performance.  St. Vincent was on something like a 22 game losing streak.  We'd better bounce back, or this could be a rough season.

I believe that they had lost 23 in a row.  I saw parts of the game, connection was terrible but Case was not consistent and allowed their passer to considerably improve his game over their first two games.
We do need to 'bounce back'.  Hopefully none of the kids were injured...  Need to stay positive, BUT extremely disappointing, especially after the 1st week's solid victory.....

ADL70

Props to SVC

Spartans dealing with some adversity.

On O:  Sicre DNP (although Bianco averaged just under 4 ypc)  Left side of line reconfigured with freshman getting first start at LT.  Lapcevic wasn't seen after early in the 2nd Qtr.

On D:  Dishong DNP  Sandidge was in only 1 series in 2nd half  I don't think J Williams was in at all in second half  Sandidge's replacement wasn't even on the two-deep
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

BearFan

Quote from: ADL70 on September 19, 2014, 12:03:34 PM
Returning starters, Jr CB Marting and Sr LB Oluokun were first team UAA and So DE Novak was second team.  But I believe they are the only returning starters playing this season.

That is pretty accurate.  Bednar is apparently out for the season and the other returning starter Cody Deterding missed the last two games with an injury - not sure on his expected return.  Several freshman and sophomores seeing significant playing time.  Have to hope those players mature as the season goes on.  Played better this past weekend against North Park, but I don't think North Park was the same caliber of offensive team as ONU and Rhodes.  Centre will be a big challenge this weekend.

SpartanMom_2016

Quote from: ADL70 on September 20, 2014, 07:03:44 PM
Props to SVC

On O:  Sicre DNP (although Bianco averaged just under 4 ypc)  Left side of line reconfigured with freshman getting first start at LT.  Lapcevic wasn't seen after early in the 2nd Qtr.

On D:  Dishong DNP  Sandidge was in only 1 series in 2nd half  I don't think J Williams was in at all in second half  Sandidge's replacement wasn't even on the two-deep

Dishong and Sandidge will be back.  Williams is out for the season. 

ExTartanPlayer

Have not really had time to read/post until now,

Very disappointing loss for CWRU.  Not much to add above what's already been said.

CMU, after getting soundly beaten by CWRU in Week 1, had a somewhat encouraging performance in Week 2 against W & J.  They never really threatened to win the game but the offense found more traction with Hearon at QB.  Nice to get a little momentum with a slate of winnable games ahead.  CMU really drew the soft underbelly of the PAC in Year 1 (with no Thomas More and no Waynesburg, they're not playing two of the three best teams in the league).

WashU got on the board with a win against North Park.  NPU is a hard team to figure; they showed a lot of progress at the end of last season but the early-season loss to MIAA cellar-dweller Alma makes that progress seem a bit questionable...the best thing for WashU about that game is that they have a win on the board.

Chicago is 3-0 and has looked pretty good defensively.  Yes, I know they were 3-0 against the same schedule last year at this time...but still, they're the UAA's great hope right now, given everyone else's early struggles.  The Maroons could be a Pool B sleeper if they can win a couple more games leading into that Bethel matchup, with the rest of the UAA flagging a little bit.  Will they be a year early on the "Chicago-wins-the-league-every-five-years" schedule?  They won in 2000, 2005, 2010.

I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ADL70

Quote from: SpartanMom_2016 on September 23, 2014, 09:21:37 AM
Quote from: ADL70 on September 20, 2014, 07:03:44 PM
Props to SVC

Dishong and Sandidge will be back.  Williams is out for the season.

FWIW Dishong wasn't on the two-deep updated yesterday.  But status could change by Saturday.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

Dis is gonna be KEWL!!!!

http://cwru-daily.com/news/wyant-athletic-and-wellness-center-to-be-dedicated-oct-9/

QUOTE: As part of the North Campus Residential Village and Athletic Complex, the three-level facility will include a 4,200-square-foot cardio workout facility; a 2,500-square-foot Varsity Club with a balcony overlooking the football field and track; and the 4,500-square-foot Belichick Weight Room, which was gifted by New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick in honor of his father, Steve, a 1941 graduate of Western Reserve University.[/i]

DagarmanSpartan

I'm glad to see us bounce back against Thiel, not that they're a world-beater by any means.

Our defense carried us with timely interceptions.  We did get a couple of big plays on offense, and we had a nice final drive, but we often killed promising possessions with costly penalties.

ohiofan1954

the Bethany-Case game has to be one of the ugliest games I have ever seen. Thank goodness CWRU is one of the nicest places to watch a game there is.

ExTartanPlayer

Well, it's been a very up-and-down start for the UAA.  Let's power rank the teams as of today:

1. Chicago (4-0): the Maroons are undefeated and getting top 25 votes!  That win over a 4-0 Rhodes team that went 8-2 last year is the biggest for the Maroons in several seasons, and was crucially needed to keep them alive for potential playoff contention with a game vs. Bethel still looming.  The Maroons had better not get carried away, but there's potential here to take advantage of a down season around the league...if the Maroons were to qualify for the playoffs, that would mean all 4 UAA teams would have made it in a nine-year span (CMU 2006, CWRU 2007, 2008, 2009, WashU 2013).  Keep winning, dudes.

After that...toss'em in a hat. 

Case Western is 2-2 and beat CMU 30-0 in the opener so I guess they've got to be #2, but losses to St. Vincent and Bethany usually would not exactly portend a conference contender.

WashU is 1-4, and while the tough-schedule excuse might have flown for the first month of the season (losses to ONU, Rhodes, and Centre, all "pretty good" type teams), this week they became the victim in the first win in Berry history.  Ugh.

Carnegie Mellon is 2-2 with the big loss to Case and two squeaker-wins in the last two weeks against mediocre opposition.  The Tartans do have a lot to be excited about in pulling out those two wins, but make no mistake, this is a very average team.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

DagarmanSpartan

ADL70,

By chance are you going to homecoming?  The reason I ask is because I am trying to get leave approved for that weekend, and if I can, then I'll be heading up to Cleveland to see my first CWRU football game in person in 22 years.

It'll also be fun to see the new athletic facility/weight room, the new Tinkham Veale Center, and the new performing arts center.

Let me know if you'll be there so that we can hang out and together cheer on the Spartans at DiSanto!

A-HOO!!!  A-HOO!!!  A-HOO!!!

DagarmanSpartan

Gang,

Over on the NCAC board, there was a very interesting conversation comparing/rating the football venues in the conference.

I can't claim to have seen any of the venues in the UAA other than CWRU's.  Can someone who has seen them all rank them from best to worse, and provide a short description of each venue's quirks?  Thanks!