MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 06, 2017, 04:15:41 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 06, 2017, 01:42:11 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 06, 2017, 01:19:28 PM
Quote from: miacsuperfan on March 04, 2017, 03:36:16 PM
Would enjoy hearing from anyone who was actually in attendance at either Toms or Royals games. So much is lost watching on a computer screen.  Viewing the end of the regulation time in River Falls, it was difficult to see a foul on the put back at the buzzer. 

I know I'm a couple days behind this but I thought the whistle was justified.

It happened so fast in real time that I couldn't tell online, but I went back and watched the replay and he (Magnusson) hammered the guy, indeed with time remaining, so it was very much the right call.

Also noticed in watching it back that Hall just missed being able to ice the game on the rebound...he went up after the ball when the missed initial shot went up, but it took an extra hop on the rim, so his jump was mis-timed.  He was right in position and for sure could have come down with it, or swatted it to the backcourt and allowed time to expire, but instead, was only able to tip it out, and it went directly to the UWRF player.   >:(

With all the talk of officiating, if there's one thing I've never seen an official do, it's call a touch foul at the buzzer.  It's usually got to be a borderline misdemeanor.

Yup - I think it caught Magnusson off guard how quickly the tip to the shot went down, so he wasn't in position to try and defend it cleanly, and fouling was the right call, given that he was otherwise going to tie it on a layup.  Making him hit two free throws was definitely the way to go.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I agree, Ryan... almost wish they called things more often, but you earn those fouls usually.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

faunch

Quote from: HSHOOP on March 04, 2017, 06:01:42 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 04, 2017, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:35:11 AM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:28:12 AM
If anyone can find video of the last minute of the Augustana / U$T video I would love to see it.  How the f-ck does a team blow an 8 point lead w/ under 40 seconds to play?

Found them:
https://twitter.com/UhlmannMatt/status/837837953858695168

https://twitter.com/MattRandazzo/status/837899223496556544

Easy on the schadenfreude Faunch.  Some Bethel fans might remind you of last Saturday.  Or SJU's loss to Oshkosh last fall, etc. ::) ;)

I'm not concerned...any day the Tom$ lose is a good day.

When you actually qualify and go to these games, faunch, its all about the MIAC.  You realize how little respect the MIAC gets vs the NESCAC, WIAC, and others getting 3, 4 or 5 teams in.  I remember last year when we
won the National Championship (you do remember we were National Champions last year, don't you?...or....as they say....."scoreboard!")  I remember thinking SJU should be here as well given the quality of teams at the NCAA and how good I remember the MIAC competition being last year.  Apparently the feeling isn't mutual and I suppose that has something to do with being the perennial bridesmaid;)  However, I guess its better to have been there and lost than not to have been there at all

(modified by GS for formatting)

30 reasons or should I say seasons I won't ever pull for U$T. 
http://www.miacathletics.com/about/honor_history/all_sports_competition/history/index

If the rest of the league isn't good enough or have the "championship mentality" then maybe it's time to go play someplace else.  You've got the league beat 30-25 in All-Sports Championships.  Forgive me if I gloat a little at the misfortune of the all-powerful U$T.  A team w/ a championship mentality doesn't give up 11 points in less than 30 seconds.

When it comes to Goliath I'll take David. 

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen."

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Smitty Oom

Well faunch, we will just have to agree to disagree here. I think that UST is good for our conference and they usually bring out the best in most teams competing against them. In a Hoopsville earlier this year Coach Novak (Bethel Coach) actually says this as well.

I agree that UST let Augie slip out of their reach this past weekend. Shaeffer needed to have the ball in his hands more down the stretch, but Augie did a good job forcing it out of his hands. However, no one expected this UST team to make as far of a run as they did last year.

Also, if you are calling SJU "David" in your analogy I think you have to rethink that, SJU has a very solid athletics program and is second in the super special MIAC championship list.

SUMMIT!!!!!

It sounds more like typical Faunch sour grapes.  Apparently, he hasn't noticed the glut of new, top-of-the-line facilities built, under construction or planned at SJU. Heck, they've spent more on a football PRACTICE facility than most schools spend on a new stadium! I'm not knocking the new facilities, I think they are awesome and a big plus to the MIAC as a whole. the baseball complex is 2nd in the league behind Hamline's (they are a partner in the Saints palace) and SJU could/should be hosting NCAA regionals there soon-- a definite feather in the conference's cap.  it seems Faunch would rather have the All-Sports award handed to them instead of going out and earning it.

"he who builds pricey new practice bubble shouldn't be throwing stones"

I stay off the football board because of discussions like this --I like the hoops board because (1) we talk about hoops and (2) for the most part, we all get along and support one another. I was nearly as sad about BU losing to UWRF as I was about UST's loss (as a UST alum I think its OK to their loss to be my #1 pain).... I am excited and happy to see that programs that struggled in the recent past  are stepping up and improving, greatly enhancing the quality of competition all across the league. I would love to see the day when 3 or even 4 (I know, blasphemy) MIAC teams make the NCAA field and my ultimate perfect Final 4 would be an all-MIAC foursome.  I have a ton of respect for all the coaches in the MIAC, particularly the hoops coaches. I enjoy my visits to each arena in the league, as every one of them has its own charm, its own mystique and its own stories/legends/memories. The recent SJu/BU championship game was easily one of the most electric atmospheres i've been experienced in a long time--- I wish that game had gone 6 OTs it was so much fun & I didn't even have a dog in the fight.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

SUMMIT!!!!!

I've been taking in some HS ball lately. REALLY impressed with the job UST grad Bryan Schnettler is doing at Wayzata. He;s got some solid players, depth and could make a run at the state championship. Also, I really like the play of several guys at Edina- Anders Nelson is only a Jr, but I can see him running the show for a MIAC school. McGrory is a beast ! Reminds me of Luke Linz in some ways. And I noticed GAC grad Seth Anderson has a good squad down in Waseca-- sounds like he inherited a potential mess but they ran off a long winning streak- hoping they make State so I can take in a game or 2.

Are there any other HS head coaches who are MIAC grands besides Schnettler, Anderson and Paul Henrichs -his team won their Section last week- over in WI?

Italian proverb

mac77

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 07, 2017, 11:42:20 AM
I've been taking in some HS ball lately. REALLY impressed with the job UST grad Bryan Schnettler is doing at Wayzata. He;s got some solid players, depth and could make a run at the state championship. Also, I really like the play of several guys at Edina- Anders Nelson is only a Jr, but I can see him running the show for a MIAC school. McGrory is a beast ! Reminds me of Luke Linz in some ways. And I noticed GAC grad Seth Anderson has a good squad down in Waseca-- sounds like he inherited a potential mess but they ran off a long winning streak- hoping they make State so I can take in a game or 2.

Are there any other HS head coaches who are MIAC grands besides Schnettler, Anderson and Paul Henrichs -his team won their Section last week- over in WI?
Ryan Dusha (SJU-01) has his Melrose Dutchmen at 26-0 in Sec.6AA.  Nate Guetter (SJU-99) is head coach at Rocori.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: mac77 on March 07, 2017, 02:56:49 PM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 07, 2017, 11:42:20 AM

Ryan Dusha (SJU-01) has his Melrose Dutchmen at 26-0 in Sec.6AA.  Nate Guetter (SJU-99) is head coach at Rocori.

Aaron Lindahl (CORD '13) is the Varsity coach for Redwood Valley. That is all I know of off the top of my head.

Smitty Oom

This should be the Concordia Cobbers new alternate uniforms... They are the uniforms for the Sioux Falls Skyforce, the Miami Heat affiliate.

These would be the coolest uniforms of all DIII without a doubt!!  ;D ;)

SUMMIT!!!!!

Kudos to the three MIAC men who earned All-West Region honors from d3hoops:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2016-17/west-men

all three are most deserving!

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

NABC D3 ALL STAR ROSTERS

Congrats to Grant Shaeffer for being selected to the All-Star game that takes place prior to the National Championship game!

ALSO: Note that former SJU coach, legendary Jim Smith will be the coach for the West team and Shaeffer.

Should be fun to watch, as this will be the fourth straight year the MIAC will have a representative in the game!

SUMMIT!!!!!

Its awesome that the MiAC is well represented at the All Star Game...and very cool that Jim Smith finally gets to go to Salem. he is a truly class guy and as Oom noted a legend. That word (and superstar) gets way overused  but in Jim's case, it is appropriate. When he took over, SJU was considered "two easy wins" on the schedule.I don't think anyone views them as such anymore, nor has for 50 years.  (If the West team wins, I wonder is SJU SID will count the win as part of Jim's career total  haha)

Italian proverb

Gregory Sager

When the Johnnies came down to Chicago to play North Park a couple of years ago, I had a conversation with Jim Smith for about a half-hour right after the SJU bus had arrived at NPU. It was an unexpected privilege and pleasure for me. He's not only a walking encyclopedia of basketball coaching, he also has a great perspective on d3 athletics and history. And it goes without saying that he was very gracious and friendly.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

SUMMIT!!!!!

Italian proverb

tomt4525

Bloomington Jefferson Guard, Joe Hird, will continue his football and basketball career at St Thomas.  If you look online, there are some highlight videos.