Puget Sound   4   6   6   4   2
George Fox          2   2   1   3   3
Pacific (Ore.)   8   4   5   6   3
Whitworth          5   7   7   6   5
Pacific Lutheran   1   3   1   2   5
Willamette           5   5   4   4   7
Whitman          9   9   9   9   8
Lewis & Clark   5   7   8   8   9

Hope the formatting holds up... The above table attempts to show final standings for each year for the last five years. Seems like the prior year is a pretty good predictor of the coming year. Basically if Linfield, George Fox and PLU don't end up as 2 of the top 3, it is a major upset. And if LC or Whitman don't end up in the basement, equally a upset.
Chapman has game with Linfield, George Fox, Pac Lu, and Whitman in 2012.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

idalogger

I was surprised that UPS did not get more respect from the coaches; that 3-6 record against the Lutes, Bruins, and Wildcats weighed heavily, I'm sure. However, the Loggers bring back two top starting pitchers, an excellent closer, and eight defensive starters. We shall see. I think Pacific will be a huge factor again, especially if they can get some bats this year. Their pitching is excellent.

UPS starts off in Pasco next weekend. Their non-conference record was not good last year, so I'll be interested as to how they start out. March features a southern California trip and games against Cal Lu and Pomona.

wildcat11

Quote from: idalogger on February 04, 2012, 11:32:19 AM
the Loggers bring back two top starting pitchers

There is going to be a lot of great game one match-ups this season.  Just hope we can get some good early season weather.

idalogger

Me too, 11. I came to the Linfield football game this year and tried to find you guys, but never did. Wandered around with my UPS gear, then hid when you guys hung 70 on us. My son was #53, and he actually played well against the Cats, but it was hard to tell.

He's a senior now, so I am hoping for a good season. Glad we have the Cats at home and hoping for a mild spring.

The Loggers start this weekend and it's supposed to be 55 in Pasco and sunny.

wildcat11

Sorry I missed you...and sorry that you had to hide!   ;D 

I don't think I'll be able to make the UPS/Linfield series but I'm sure Gig Harbor Cat will drive over the bridge and take in a game.  I remember seeing your son during the game...he's a good ball player. 

He had some quotes about the upcoming baseball season in the student paper (towards the bottom):

http://trail.pugetsound.edu/2012/02/spring-sports-outlook-a-look-at-the-sunny-side-of-logger-athletics/

"I think I can speak for the whole team when I say that this year 2nd place won't be enough for us," senior Casey Coberly (Boise, Idaho)  said.

"We don't want to psyche ourselves out, but we know we can be a pretty darn good team this year. If we get nationally ranked at some point this year that will be gravy on top, but that is not what we are focusing on, our goal is to win conference and we are putting all of our efforts into that goal." Coberly said.

Last year, the team went 17-17 overall and 15-9 in conference, finishing second overall.

"We are a very good hitting team and are looking to improve on the numbers from last year (which I think we will have no problem doing). We are very deep this year and have great pitching coming back as well," Coberly said.

The baseball roster this year consists of 34 players, 8 being seniors. "Obviously the 8 seniors are looking forward to this season, it being our last, and the camaraderie on the team is as high as ever," Coberly said. "I think that the experience and youth provide a perfect mix for the team this year and will help us a lot come crunch time. I am extremely excited and truly blessed to play with such a great and talented group of guys for my final year of collegiate athletics." The first home game will be Feb. 17 against Concordia.

wildcat11

Wow...very sad news out of PLU today.

PLU Ace and Draft Prospect Beatty Sidelined by Cancer

http://www.golutes.com/sports/bsb/2011-12/releases/201202069dc4pf

Piobark

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Beatty and his family as well as to the entire PLU team and community. May he have a full recovery.

idalogger

Oh my gosh. That is awful. Our family will be praying for him as well.

wildcat11

'Cats open up today down in Arizona vs. McMurry and then go Claremont, Sul Ross, and wrap up with Cal Lutheran.  Looking forward to seeing how Larson opens up the season and how much impact Zach Boskovich makes in his return to the team.  Go 'Cats!

Here is the Linfield Season Preview: http://www.linfield.edu/sports/outlook.php?sport=bb

wildcat11

Good start for the 'Cats.  Larson with 7 solid innings and nice to see Boskovich come back and make an immediate impact.

http://www.linfield.edu/sports/release.php?id=4323

wildcat11

After 1 week of NWC play:

Linfield (3-0, 6-1)  - Swept up L&C but not before the Pios made the 'Cats earn it in last game of the weekend

Whitworth (0-0, 6-3-1) - After a terrible 1st game, the Rats are playing pretty good baseball to start the year.

Pacific Lutheran (0-0, 5-3) - Have a chance to start NWC off great with Whitman and Willamette to start NWC play.

George Fox    (0-0, 4-8) - Start the year 0-7 against strong competition and have now won 4 out of 5. Going to be in the thick of the NWC race.

Pacific (Ore.) (0-0, 3-7) - Got beat up by the Hawaii DII's.  HUGE weekend coming up as they host Linfield

Puget Sound (0-0, 2-7-1) - Has to be a very disappointing start for UPS in dropping games to Whitworth and Pacific.

Willamette (0-0, 2-7) - Team ERA is 9.22.  There you go.

Whitman (0-0, 0-12) - Whitman has played some very good teams (ECS, Concordia, CLU).  Hasn't translated into wins but props from not shying away from competition.

Lewis & Clark (0-3, 0-11) - The Pios are going to take their lumps but can/should sneak up and grabs some wins this season in NWC play.

Whatagame

Yes, Whitman has played a bear of a schedule, and have really battled with some high quality squads, but haven't got over the hump with anyone yet.  They have some talent, including some Frosh that are creating impact.  Biggest needs to develop are:

1) Bullpen depth and experience.  Need more zeroes put up by the pen
2) Better situational hitting.  They are getting guys on base, particularly in some late game tight situations, but have not executed consistently and done the little things quite enough to cash in more runs
3) Team leadership.  They are young, and need a few team leaders to emerge to help learn how to win and finish games off when they have a late lead - and how to rally when behind.

idalogger

Well, the Missionaries will get their chance this weekend at home against UPS. I am shocked by how poorly the Loggers have played coming out of the gate. Batting average under .240, poor starting and relief pitching. In just about every phase of the game, they have been struggled. I guess they have walked a lot. :-) This is a team for which we had high expectations. There is still time, but things will have to change quickly.

The conference really appears to be down; maybe it's the competition, but the non-conference record thus far is 25-58. Ouch.

wildcat11

Thought you guys (well the only couple of guys who post here) would get a kick out of this.  My father is a long time assistant baseball coach for a large high school in Washington.  This past week has been the program's tryouts and the head coach decides he wants to work with some of the Freshmen infielders on double plays. 

My Dad said he could just see the pucker factor jump up a few points as the "head coach" of the high school program is going to work with these freshmen who are just a day or so into their tryout and are just a bundle of nerves.  The HC turns over to the 1st basemen and says "Get on the bag and I want you to bounce off on contact"  So the first kid is up and the coach hits a can-of-corn two hopper at the kid, he fields it clean, and then sprints over to 1st base, bends down, and BOUNCES the ball off of 1st base!  The HC throws his hands in the air and screams "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"  He calls the kid over and ask what happened...."Well coach, you told me to bounce off the bag." 

CLASSIC!!!!

idalogger

Well, that was one wild weekend. Whitman and Lewis and Clark get their first wins, Pacific takes two of three from Linfield, and Fox and PLU both lose once against teams they should beat. Looks like the conference race is up in the air.

Most interesting weekend coming up - hope the weather holds off just a bit.

Willamette at Linfield - The Cats should recover from their weekend in Forest Grove
Pacific at George Fox  - An important series - Pacific's starting pitching is tough.
Whitman at PLU - perhaps the Missionaries can keep winning? They played very well last weekend.
Whitworth at UPS - Will the Loggers' hitting, pitching ever recover?

Anecdotally, the Whitman student section was awful on Saturday in Walla Walla, shouting player names and making crude remarks from next to the Whitman bench. On Sunday the Missionaries' coach blew a gasket and got himself tossed when the umpires requested that Whitman's bench tone it down. Embarrassing for the college and the team.