MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2012, 01:02:40 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 19, 2012, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 19, 2012, 12:15:41 AM
Buh, bye, Yankees.  Sorry 'bout the broom marks! 8-)
;D  Mischievious political question on a baseball board for my friend Mr Ypsi.

Mr Applegate approaches you beneath the streetlamp. He lights the cigarette with snap of his fingers and then  offers you your choice.

An Obama victory in the election OR

A World Series Championship for your Tigers.  (Kind of a once in a generation thing.)

;)

Unless the opponents make a deal with the devil, we don't need Mr. Applegate for BOTH to happen! 8-)
:)  Smooth answer, Mr Ypsi!  Big cackles of laughter!

Mr. Ypsi

Didn't turn on the StL @ SF game until the 9th (was watching the Lions lay a total egg in Chicago on MNF); weirdest finish I've ever seen.  Cards down 9-0, but the rain was coming down in torrents!  (Apparently MLB now has a rule that a postseason game, or at least a series-ending game, cannot be rain-shortened, so a suspension would have postponed the World Series, especially since rain is predicted to last all day tomorrow.)  I have NEVER seen baseball played in such conditions!  Puddles on the field, the whole infield was reflecting the stadium lights, and sometimes it was hard to even see the ball.

I'm hoping the first game of the WS doesn't get started then suspended, costing Justin Verlander again like last year's ALCS! :P

NCF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 22, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
Didn't turn on the StL @ SF game until the 9th (was watching the Lions lay a total egg in Chicago on MNF); weirdest finish I've ever seen.  Cards down 9-0, but the rain was coming down in torrents!  (Apparently MLB now has a rule that a postseason game, or at least a series-ending game, cannot be rain-shortened, so a suspension would have postponed the World Series, especially since rain is predicted to last all day tomorrow.)  I have NEVER seen baseball played in such conditions!  Puddles on the field, the whole infield was reflecting the stadium lights, and sometimes it was hard to even see the ball.

I'm hoping the first game of the WS doesn't get started then suspended, costing Justin Verlander again like last year's ALCS! :P
Although I am a National League fan (unless the Yankees are in), I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers win so all those White (choke, choke) Sox (choke, choke) fans can only dream of what might have been!! LOL ;D ;D ;D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

BBFan62

Quote from: newcardfan on October 24, 2012, 09:08:38 AM

Although I am a National League fan (unless the Yankees are in), I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers win so all those White (choke, choke) Sox (choke, choke) fans can only dream of what might have been!! LOL ;D ;D ;D

Wait 'til next year! Oh, wait......that's the Cubbie in me coming out. Well then, should I change it to "next century"?

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: BBFan62 on October 24, 2012, 11:10:46 AM

Wait 'til next year! Oh, wait......that's the Cubbie in me coming out. Well then, should I change it to "next century"?
With the Cubbies that may even be too soon. Just stick with Wait till next "?"  ;D

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on October 24, 2012, 11:35:58 AM
Quote from: BBFan62 on October 24, 2012, 11:10:46 AM

With the Cubbies that may even be too soon. Just stick with Wait till next "?"  ;D

The Cubs will never win  ;D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 20, 2012, 11:24:58 AM

Mr Applegate approaches you beneath the streetlamp. He lights the cigarette with snap of his fingers and then  offers you your choice.

A World Series Championship for your Tigers.  (Kind of a once in a generation thing.)

;)

Unless the opponents make a deal with the devil, we don't need Mr. Applegate for BOTH to happen! 8-)

Still too early to say on an Obama win, but have you got Mr. Applegate's number handy in terms of the World Series? ;)  Sheesh - did ANYONE foresee a Giants' sweep?  Can't blame the Tigers' pitchers (except for Verlander losing the mojo at the worst possible time, and Valverde suddenly being DONE; one year after going 49 for 49 in save situations, I doubt he will ever pitch in Detroit again).  Some combination of Giants' pitchers getting crazy-hot, and Tigers' batters getting crazy-cold.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 29, 2012, 02:10:50 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 20, 2012, 11:24:58 AM

;)

Still too early to say on an Obama win, but have you got Mr. Applegate's number handy in terms of the World Series? ;)  Sheesh - did ANYONE foresee a Giants' sweep?  Can't blame the Tigers' pitchers (except for Verlander losing the mojo at the worst possible time, and Valverde suddenly being DONE; one year after going 49 for 49 in save situations, I doubt he will ever pitch in Detroit again).  Some combination of Giants' pitchers getting crazy-hot, and Tigers' batters getting crazy-cold.
:)  More cackles of laughter!

Hey, my Texas Strangers looked liked the 1951 Dodgers or the 1962 Dodgers or a bunch of other teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1353871-the-top-15-most-memorable-pennant-race-collapses-in-baseball-history

OshDude

Despite a deep list of quality candidates, no players were elected to the Hall of Fame this year. Did the voters get it right, were they sanctimonious with their ballots or something else? Thoughts?

Bishopleftiesdad

Maybe they all feel as John Faye, the Reds Beat writer:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/12/31/exercising-my-right-not-to-vote/

Cincinnati Reds

I simply can't do it. I put off mailing in my 2013 Hall of Fame ballot until today's deadline.

It will not be sent.

I'd rather abstain than play judge and jury this year. The two most deserving players statistically of the 37 on the ballot are Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Bonds was the best hitter I've seen. Clemens was the most dominant pitcher.

augie77

Ode to the steroid era.  sad.

augie77

Is there still an Oldtimers Committee for otherwise passed over players? 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: augie77 on January 09, 2013, 04:52:57 PM
Is there still an Oldtimers Committee for otherwise passed over players?
Yes, there were three selections from that committee.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-01-09/baseball-hall-of-fame-vote-results-bonds-clemens-peds-biggio-morris

QuoteThere still will be a Hall of Fame induction ceremony this summer—at 1:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 28 at the Clark Sports Center in Cooperstown, N.Y. The 2013 class is composed former umpire Hank O'Day, one-time New York Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert and 19th century player Deacon White, all of whom were elected by the Pre-Integration Committee.

OshDude

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 09, 2013, 04:27:23 PM

Cincinnati Reds

I simply can't do it. I put off mailing in my 2013 Hall of Fame ballot until today's deadline.

It will not be sent.

I'd rather abstain than play judge and jury this year. The two most deserving players statistically of the 37 on the ballot are Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Bonds was the best hitter I've seen. Clemens was the most dominant pitcher.
Abstaining doesn't affect the outcome as much as mailing a blank ballot like some were reported to have done.

In case anyone missed it, Aaron Sele received one vote for Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame. Take a minute and let that sink in.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on January 09, 2013, 09:43:43 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 09, 2013, 04:27:23 PM

Cincinnati Reds

It will not be sent.

Abstaining doesn't affect the outcome as much as mailing a blank ballot like some were reported to have done.

In case anyone missed it, Aaron Sele received one vote for Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame. Take a minute and let that sink in.
A debt repaid?