MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Gentlemen, when do the regional rankings start to come out?

'70

AndOne

Quote from: veterancciwfan on February 02, 2015, 08:58:10 PM
Regarding my attendance at Carthage post. Last year's IWU/Carthage game at Kenosha drew 2,025. Carthage won and the crowd was electric. IWU stat: Through 20 games, IWU has attempted 1,156 FGs of which 477, or 41.2% have been 3-point shots. The 3-point shot, introduced in the 86/87 season, has resulted, especially in D3, in many coaches recruiting shooters first and post players second. How many D3 teams start 3 guards now compared to the 86/87 season? Giovanine seemed to place the blame on the NPU loss on his perimeter players who couldn't shoot the 3. That's a familiar scenario, for good and bad D3 teams. We win if the 3s are falling and lose if they aren't is a common refrain.

1/25/14--No wonder the crowd was "electric." It was a momentous occasion. Bosko bobblehead night at Tarble Arena.  :D

augie_superfan

Re-ran my simulation with the updated numbers.  Large change for the #1 seed as expected and a little bit of hope for those looking to steal that 4th seed from NCC.

Chance of #1 Seed
Augustana  48.4%
IWU           42.6%
Elmhurst     7.3%

Chance of Conf. Tourney
Augustana   99.7%
Carthage     8.6%
Elmhurst     96.4%
IWU           99.5%
Millikin        10.3%
NCC           74.6%
NPU            10.0%
Wheaton      0.8%

Outright #1 seed chance: 69.7%
Avg. 1st place wins:  10.8
Avg. 4th place wins   7.1

GoPerry

It's pretty easy to imagine and in fact, likely, that a Moten-less or Moten-impaired NCC goes 0-2 this week with 2 roads game in Rock Island and Bloomington.  So if Carthage(vs EC, @Augie), Millikin(vs IWU, vs NP) or N Park (vs WC @ MU) can go 2-0 this week (MU/NP play each other), then it's all knotted up for 4th going into the final 2 weeks (3 games).  It's not out of the question to me that 6-8 might be good enough to tie.

I posted a few weeks ago that Wheaton lacks the depth of talent this year but are still dangerous enough to pull off a road upset or two this season, but it has yet to happen.  Admittedly, I was not thinking of the 2/4 @ NPU game at the time, and it is with some difficulty that I say it would be an upset.  Nevertheless, the Thunder could use some positivity right now and I hope they bring their best to Foster/Kedzie tomorrow.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on February 01, 2015, 09:37:45 PM
Nice win for your guys, Greg.

Thanks, BW!

Quote from: iwu70 on February 02, 2015, 02:09:17 AM
Greg got it totally right about the quality of the U of Chicago.  Of course, most students at UC don't even know the UC has athletics.

That's a slight exaggeration, as it's hard for U of C students to miss the fact that there's a football/soccer field (with track) and a baseball stadium that are easily visible from Garfield Ave., as well as the competition gym and the pool in the Ratner Center. But they certainly don't frequent those places to watch their Maroons teams, that's for sure. But, then again, it's not as though U of C students do anything that doesn't involve copious hours spent in Regenstein Library. There's a reason why the unofficial motto of the University of Chicago is, "Where fun goes to die."

Quote from: NCF on February 02, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 01, 2015, 07:38:27 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on February 01, 2015, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 01, 2015, 04:13:03 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on February 01, 2015, 01:58:21 PM
I don't mind the no announcer or play by play as long as the court side PA announcer on audio.  The play by play by the two guys sitting behind the scorers table at IWU gets a little weary. 

The two guys play-by-play (the guys from balcony in the muppets) was coming from the mic on the camera...up on the north railing.  Not down at the table.
Thanks Q.  I got to admit though -  We border between being irrated and laughing hysterically

Somebody with better Photoshop skills than me needs to put green sweaters on Statler and Waldorf.

Will this do?  ??? ::) :o ;D

http://services.myscrapnook.com/creations/56/03/3553065/3.jpg

LOL, NCF!

Quote from: iwu70 on February 02, 2015, 10:36:11 PM
Congratulations to Juwan Henry on CCIW Player of the Week honors.  A truly amazing week for him in CCIW play.  Fun to watch.

Yep. Congrats to Juwan. This was his second POW award this season, as he joins Charlie Rosenberg of NCC as a two-time winner in 2014-15.

Quote from: GoPerry on February 03, 2015, 05:59:29 PM
It's pretty easy to imagine and in fact, likely, that a Moten-less or Moten-impaired NCC goes 0-2 this week with 2 roads game in Rock Island and Bloomington.  So if Carthage(vs EC, @Augie), Millikin(vs IWU, vs NP) or N Park (vs WC @ MU) can go 2-0 this week (MU/NP play each other), then it's all knotted up for 4th going into the final 2 weeks (3 games).  It's not out of the question to me that 6-8 might be good enough to tie.

I posted a few weeks ago that Wheaton lacks the depth of talent this year but are still dangerous enough to pull off a road upset or two this season, but it has yet to happen.  Admittedly, I was not thinking of the 2/4 @ NPU game at the time, and it is with some difficulty that I say it would be an upset.

Maybe, maybe not. After all, Wheaton did beat NPU by six at King Arena last month. Massey's got NPU winning tomorrow night's game by a bare two points, for what it's worth.

I anticipate a tight game tomorrow night in the crackerbox.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Speaking of a tight game-------

Brayden Teuscher is one of the premier players in the conference, and always a threat. 
However, based on Saturday's performance, the player NPU might need to stop is Joel Smith.
I thought the bearded one played a tremendous game vs. NCC. He conducted a clinic on turnaround baseline jumpers. Overall, he was 8 of 11 from the field, including 3 of 5 from beyond the arc. One of his 3 balls looked for a while like it might be the clincher for the North DuPagers. When NCC tried to slow him down by sending him to the line, he was a perfect 5 for 5. To top things off he added 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block.

Although he is not there yet by any stretch of the imagination, Murad Dillard looks to have the potential to be a real player for the Wheaties in the future. He has good size and a fluidity to his game, coupled with a smooth stroke on his shot.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: veterancciwfan on February 02, 2015, 08:58:10 PMGiovanine seemed to place the blame on the NPU loss on his perimeter players who couldn't shoot the 3.

True, but I don't think that he was being entirely fair to his guards. Augie only attempted 13 treys, which was a relatively modest 22% of AC's total field-goal attempts. And that percentage was low even by Augustana standards; Augie's attempted 29% of its FG attempts from behind the arc in CCIW play, which is the second-lowest team percentage in the league (only Millikin has a smaller percentage of trey attempts per game). The reluctance of the Doggies to attempt treys on Saturday night should surprise no one, since the game plan for any CCIW coach who faces NPU is to pound the rock inside. Given his obvious pregame lack of emphasis upon shooting treys against the Park, it doesn't seem fair for Giovanine to throw his entire perimeter contingent under the bus by blaming them for the loss.

If there was a problem with Augie's perimeter players on Saturday night, it was with shot selection. The numbers indicate that Augie has had three pretty good three-point shooters thus far in CCIW play: Hunter Hill, Griffin Pils, and Dylan Sortillo. (Ben Ryan's put up ridiculous numbers all season long as a three-point shooter, but he attempts them so rarely that it's hardly worth mentioning.) In addition, while Mark Roth has slumped from the torrid 20-42 pace he set beyond the arc in the non-conference portion of the Augustana schedule, most people who follow this league are well aware of what a pure shooter he is.

So who shot those thirteen Augie trey attempts on Saturday night? Well, Hunter Hill didn't attempt any ... not even one. And he was in the game for 31 minutes before fouling out. Griffin Pils attempted two in his 19 minutes of action, and missed both. And Sortillo hoisted one in the mere three minutes of game time he was allotted, missing it. Roth got into the game for 12 minutes, had three attempts from long distance -- Augie was clearly running plays for him to get those shots during the first five minutes or so that he played, and then largely forgot about him down the stretch -- and made one. (He airballed his third and final attempt, as my broadcast partner Tyler Kurz astutely pointed out that Roth's a catch-and-shoot type rather than a shoot-on-the-move or screen shooter.)

In other words, more than half of Augie's 13 trey attempts came from players who shouldn't have been shooting them. Danielius Jurgutis, a fourth-year varsity player whose career trey average is somewhere in the ballpark of .315, shot two attempts -- and missed them both. Jawon Straughter, who seldom attempts treys and who doesn't look good taking them -- I did a little tap dance inside every time that he attempted one -- went 0-4 from downtown. And everybody in the Augie fan section looked shocked when Tayvian Johnson attempted one late in the game and made it; he was 4-17 on the season before that attempt.

The shot selection problem is on Grey Giovanine. I commented more than once on Saturday's broadcast that the Augie coach had put five men on the floor who didn't offer him much of an option in terms of three-point shooting. At numerous points in the game, the only real trey shooter he had on the floor was Hunter Hill -- and, as I said, Hill never even attempted one. I understand that he's a defense-first coach. But sometimes when you're behind it behooves you to put a weaker defender like Roth or Sortillo into the game and to try to hide him at the defensive end so that you can utilize what he does best at the offensive end. It's hard to score three-pointers when the coach isn't putting players on the floor who can shoot them well.

Both sets of Vikings missed eleven trey attempts on Saturday; the difference is that NPU made ten treys (10-21) while Augie made only two (2-13). If he wants to blame his guards for something, perhaps Giovanine should blame them for not closing out quickly enough on North Park's perimeter shooters.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on February 03, 2015, 08:20:25 PM
Brayden Teuscher is one of the premier players in the conference, and always a threat. 
However, based on Saturday's performance, the player NPU might need to stop is Joel Smith.
I thought the bearded one played a tremendous game vs. NCC. He conducted a clinic on turnaround baseline jumpers. Overall, he was 8 of 11 from the field, including 3 of 5 from beyond the arc. One of his 3 balls looked for a while like it might be the clincher for the North DuPagers. When NCC tried to slow him down by sending him to the line, he was a perfect 5 for 5. To top things off he added 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block.

Smith has really turned his game around. He was an absolute cipher on offense in his first two years at Wheaton, averaging 1.8 ppg as a freshman and 2.1 ppg last season, while playing the same heavy rotation minutes that he's currently playing. This year he's at 8.2 ppg. The problem is, he's NPU's hardest matchup from a physical standpoint at 6'6, 235.

Although he is not there yet by any stretch of the imagination, Murad Dillard looks to have the potential to be a real player for the Wheaties in the future. He has good size and a fluidity to his game, coupled with a smooth stroke on his shot.

I'm pretty sure that Jordan Robinson is going to get the call to guard Dillard.

Quote from: AndOne on February 03, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: veterancciwfan on February 02, 2015, 08:58:10 PM
Regarding my attendance at Carthage post. Last year's IWU/Carthage game at Kenosha drew 2,025. Carthage won and the crowd was electric. IWU stat: Through 20 games, IWU has attempted 1,156 FGs of which 477, or 41.2% have been 3-point shots. The 3-point shot, introduced in the 86/87 season, has resulted, especially in D3, in many coaches recruiting shooters first and post players second. How many D3 teams start 3 guards now compared to the 86/87 season? Giovanine seemed to place the blame on the NPU loss on his perimeter players who couldn't shoot the 3. That's a familiar scenario, for good and bad D3 teams. We win if the 3s are falling and lose if they aren't is a common refrain.

1/25/14--No wonder the crowd was "electric." It was a momentous occasion. Bosko bobblehead night at Tarble Arena.  :D

Now that would be worth a trip to Kenosha. :D

iwu70

YUP, most UC students would agree -- "Where fun goes to die."  A pretty serious, academically-driven place.  I bet at least 85% of UC students have no idea that UC has a pretty strong D3 program in a number of sports.  Their men's basketball team is battling for the UAA championship this year.  My son went to Swarthmore College in Philly, a similarly academically-driven place where kids don't really have much fun, studying almost all the time.  There the mantra and favorite T-shirt is "Anywhere else it would have been an A."  Indeed so.  Of course, very weak D3 athletics at Swarthmore. 

Looking forward to the games this week.  My Titans have to keep on grinding, get these important away wins and get ready for two key games at The Shirk with several top contenders -- the Doggies and NCC.  Lots of great games upcoming.

Go TITANS!  I'm sure those two old fart fans in the balcony will be cheering for the GREEN. 

IWU70

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (15-5, 7-2) @ Millikin (8-12, 3-6), 7:00pm...

(CCIW only stats)

Illinois Wesleyan (15-5, 7-2)
G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3/180 Sr. (12.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.8 apg)
G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1/170 Sr. (15.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.8 apg)
G - Pat Sodemann, 6-3/195 Sr. (9.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg)
F - Ryan Coyle, 6-6/208 Jr. (7.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg)
C - Trevor Seibring, 6-8/235 So. (7.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg)

C - Mike Marietti, 6-8/245 Jr. (8.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg)
G - Bryce Dolan, 6-0/165 Jr. (5.9 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 2.3 apg)
G - Joel Pennington, 6-0/175 Jr. (5.1 ppg)
F - Alec Bausch, 6-6/210 So. (4.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg)
G - Brady Rose, 6-2/170 Fr. (3.0 ppg)

Millikin (8-12, 3-6)
G - TJ Griffin, 6-0/168 Jr. (14.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.8 apg)
G - TJ Sims, 5-8/156 Fr. (21.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.1 apg)
F - Tommy Pilackas, 6-3/205 Jr. (3.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg)
F - Elijah Kenmon, 6-5/195 Jr. (4.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg)
F - Bryn Agnew, 6-8/220 So. (3.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg)

F - Nathan Biggs, 6-6/230 Fr. (8.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg)
F - Jacob Kueker, 6-5/175 Jr. (5.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg)
F - Zach Long, 6-5/185 Fr. (4.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg)
G - Parker Day, 6-0/185 Jr. (2.1)
F - Brody Bence, 6-8/200 So. (1.6 ppg)

Pantagraph - http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/titans-roses-familiar-with-millikin-s-sims/article_6f58da7d-58f9-5157-aac2-c3c5cc402333.html

Live video - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/millikin/

Live stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/millikin/mbball/

WJBC Radio - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/wjbc/

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 03, 2015, 08:36:51 PM

Smith has really turned his game around. He was an absolute cipher on offense in his first two years at Wheaton, averaging 1.8 ppg as a freshman and 2.1 ppg last season, while playing the same heavy rotation minutes that he's currently playing. This year he's at 8.2 ppg. The problem is, he's NPU's hardest matchup from a physical standpoint at 6'6, 235.

I agree that J Smith has been the biggest surprise for Wheaton this year as he and Michael Berg have answered the call to supply some inside presence offensively.  He did have his best career game so far on Saturday @ NCC.   But it was preceded by one of his worst of the year last Wed @ IWU (1/6, 2 pts, 1 rebound, 4 fouls).  So despite his obvious progress and a player who bears watching, his inconsistency would not suggest he's yet a player to fear.  And his susceptibility to perennial foul trouble makes him somewhat of a defensive liability.  (And I still don't like him taking so many 3 pointers)

I also like the look of Dillard and agree he's showing real potential.  Due to team injuries, he's been getting added minutes of late which will also help him going forward.

Teuscher needs to stay out of foul trouble which has been limiting his minutes the last few games.  They will need a complete game from everyone up/down the roster. 

veterancciwfan

Wheaton has 3 very good players in Braydon Teuscher, Joel Smith and Michael Berg. But they play so many minutes that they seldom are as effective in the last 5 minutes as they have been in the first 35. I realize Wheaton has had significant injury issues this season, but Ron Rose recruits a minimum of 5 talented freshmen every year. Last year IWU graduated 6 above average seniors and still has a lot of talent this year. I think Schauer, for whatever reason, didn't recruit enough quantity and quality freshmen for the current team and that is going to be very hard for Wheaton to overcome. But getting players from all over the country may result in Wheaton having great freshmen recruits next year. Smith and Berg as senior leaders and two great freshmen will result in a much better Wheaton team for 15/16. It's quite a story for Wheaton, a school that has made 8 consecutive CCIW Conf. Tournaments, to be in last place with 5 left.

GoPerry

Quote from: veterancciwfan on February 04, 2015, 01:13:54 AM
Wheaton has 3 very good players in Braydon Teuscher, Joel Smith and Michael Berg. But they play so many minutes that they seldom are as effective in the last 5 minutes as they have been in the first 35. I realize Wheaton has had significant injury issues this season, but Ron Rose recruits a minimum of 5 talented freshmen every year. Last year IWU graduated 6 above average seniors and still has a lot of talent this year. I think Schauer, for whatever reason, didn't recruit enough quantity and quality freshmen for the current team and that is going to be very hard for Wheaton to overcome. But getting players from all over the country may result in Wheaton having great freshmen recruits next year. Smith and Berg as senior leaders and two great freshmen will result in a much better Wheaton team for 15/16. It's quite a story for Wheaton, a school that has made 8 consecutive CCIW Conf. Tournaments, to be in last place with 5 left.

Actually, M Schauer had a bumper crop of freshman commits in the spring, 2 of which are getting some quality minutes now( and a good one committing but not enrolling) and I would think that most coaches would love to get just one freshman per class that can play immediately on a competitive squad.  So I'm not sure of your point- except perhaps that you believe Ron Rose is a superior recruiter?  I think it's established that Wheaton has somewhat more to overcome in recruiting than the rest of the league- significantly more in some cases. 

Even without the injuries, Wheaton would not have threatened the top of the CCIW this year.  Lose another 40mins of playing time to season ending injury and it's not a stretch where they currently are.  Doesn't mean they have to finish there however so I hope the Orange and Blue find another gear and look forward to tonight and the next 4.  I think they've played better than their record but that and a bag of chips gets you nothing from 7 other teams( and twice that many d3board posters). 

WUPHF

Quote from: GoPerry on February 04, 2015, 10:36:17 AMI think it's established that Wheaton has somewhat more to overcome in recruiting than the rest of the league- significantly more in some cases. 

I always assumed that being one of the best evangelical Christian institutions in the nation was more blessing than curse when it came to recruiting, but maybe not.