Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: fantastic50 on March 19, 2019, 09:18:39 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 18, 2019, 09:22:45 AM
Quote from: fantastic50 on March 18, 2019, 08:57:30 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2019, 01:21:49 PM
Quote from: AO on March 17, 2019, 12:40:18 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 16, 2019, 09:15:03 PM
As an outsider, IMHO, the WIAC/CCIW axis is just heads-and-shoulders better the rest of the country.

That top right bracket, all the way down to Marietta in the lower left was a whole 'nother tournament.

Congrats to UW-O.
This is the 4th time in 8 appearances that my Northwestern Eagles have played the eventual champs in the 1st or 2nd round.  If you get past the last WIAC or CCIW team remaining, you've got to feel good about your chances to win it all.

Well, the axis will get split up with the expected expansion to ten regions in two years.  From everything I've heard, the WIAC will be lumped in with the MIAC, UMAC, and ARC, while the CCIW will get the HCAC, MWC, and maybe SLIAC?

I know there's proposed regions out there somewhere, but I have yet to track down an actual list.  All of this is just #gleaned from conversations.

I'm not sure that having the WIAC a region in with St. Thomas, St. John's, Nebraska Wesleyan, and Loras will be any more balanced, especially when only 6-7 teams will be ranked.

Looks like the CCIW has to fight it out with Greenville, Grinnell and Hanover.  ::)

Such a region could lead to every halfway-decent CCIW team getting regionally-ranked; the league could have easily taken the top five positions this year.  That happened with the NJAC, which routinely had the top four slots in the Atlantic regional rankings, and sometimes a 5th team (TCNJ) also ranked.  I think that weak region impacted Ramapo's at-large selection. 

(The OAC frequently had five ranked, but that was a deeper league, with #5 seed Baldwin-Wallace winning the OAC tourney and nearly advancing out of the Oswego pod in the NCAAs.)
+1!  Definitely.

But that is something that the selection committees will have to figure out.

If the committees are only selecting ~15% of the eligible members in each sport, we are only talking about ranking 6-7 teams.

sac

Chicago and WashU will probably be in that region.  But yes we're going to see a few regions heavily lopsided towards one conference or another.

In the above example, it would have been hard to find a team from the NACC, SLIAC or HCAC to rank.  I think the ranking ratio would lead to 6 ranking spots.  It would not have been far fetched to see this ranking.   

1.  Augustana
2.  North Central
3.  Wheaton
4.  Illinois Wesleyan
5.  Elmhurst
6.  Chicago

I assume the new "Great Lakes" would be MIAA, OAC, NCAC, PAC, this year (and many others) it would be all Ohio schools in the 6 ranking slots.

It also means the Pool C process will have 10 teams at the table instead of just 8.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on March 18, 2019, 12:54:30 AM
I'm back from the former site of the men's Final 4(Salem Civic Center,VA) and Roanoke College's Cregger Center and the women's Final 4. Went into Roanoke's older gym(Bast Center) to see the home of former Mason-Dixon League games(pre-D3) when Catholic U and Mt. St. Mary(with NBA player Fred Carter) were conference opponents. Was expecting it to be the former home but find out looking at Roanoke's team page that they are still using it instead of the Cregger Center. What gives with that? And why is Roanoke College in Salem instead of Roanoke?

Which team page are you talking about? The men's team absolutely uses the Cregger Center. I've seen two of their games at that facility in the last two years.

And it is Roanoke College because they are in the Roanoke Valley. The entire region is known for the Roanoke name, not just the city.

Though, interestingly the school was founded near Staunton, Virginia back in 1842 - read something about a boys preparatory school at first. It moved to it's currently location five years later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on March 19, 2019, 01:14:06 PM
Chicago and WashU will probably be in that region.  But yes we're going to see a few regions heavily lopsided towards one conference or another.

In the above example, it would have been hard to find a team from the NACC, SLIAC or HCAC to rank.  I think the ranking ratio would lead to 6 ranking spots.  It would not have been far fetched to see this ranking.   

1.  Augustana
2.  North Central
3.  Wheaton
4.  Illinois Wesleyan
5.  Elmhurst
6.  Chicago

I assume the new "Great Lakes" would be MIAA, OAC, NCAC, PAC, this year (and many others) it would be all Ohio schools in the 6 ranking slots.

It also means the Pool C process will have 10 teams at the table instead of just 8.

I know Ryan indicated there are alignments located some place ... I am not aware things have progressed that far as of yet. Mainly it is speculation on everyone's part. I suspect the national committee will take that up along with next year's tournament schedule in the offseason.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 19, 2019, 01:15:01 PM
Quote from: ronk on March 18, 2019, 12:54:30 AM
I'm back from the former site of the men's Final 4(Salem Civic Center,VA) and Roanoke College's Cregger Center and the women's Final 4. Went into Roanoke's older gym(Bast Center) to see the home of former Mason-Dixon League games(pre-D3) when Catholic U and Mt. St. Mary(with NBA player Fred Carter) were conference opponents. Was expecting it to be the former home but find out looking at Roanoke's team page that they are still using it instead of the Cregger Center. What gives with that? And why is Roanoke College in Salem instead of Roanoke?

Which team page are you talking about? The men's team absolutely uses the Cregger Center. I've seen two of their games at that facility in the last two years.

And it is Roanoke College because they are in the Roanoke Valley. The entire region is known for the Roanoke name, not just the city.

Though, interestingly the school was founded near Staunton, Virginia back in 1842 - read something about a boys preparatory school at first. It moved to it's currently location five years later.

Good to hear; the description I read of the Bast Center is that they house basketball and volleyball; thought I had seen it also on the D3hoops page for Roanoke basketball but I see now that the Cregger Center is listed.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Some D3 connections coaching in the D1 tournament if you need someone to root for after your bracket is busted. This is from ESPN ranking all 68 coaches on their playing days

58. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs -- Few led Creswell (Oregon) High to the state's AAA semifinals as a senior point guard. Shoulder problems prevented him from playing at Linfield College, where he intended to play basketball and baseball.
56. Steve Prohm, Iowa State Cyclones -- Prohm was a three-year letterman at Northwest Whitfield High in Tunnel Hill, Georgia -- his claim to fame was hitting a half-court shot to win a game as a senior -- and played briefly at the Division III level at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. Prohm subsequently transferred to Alabama, where he became a manager and student assistant.
53. Bill Coen, Northeastern Huskies -- Coen played four seasons for Division III Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, winning three ECAC championships under longtime coach Tom Murphy (now Northeastern's coordinator of basketball advancement). Murphy once quipped to the Boston Herald that his instructions to Coen as a player were: "Shoot it before you turn it over."
52. Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's Gaels -- Bennett started his career playing under his father, Tom, at Mesa Community College in Arizona (1980-82), then played two seasons as a point guard at Division III UC San Diego (1983-85). Bennett led the Tritons in assists for both of his seasons with the team.
50. Mike Young, Wofford Terriers -- Young was a four-year letterman and point guard for Division III Emory & Henry from 1982-86, serving as the Wasps' team captain his junior and senior seasons.
44. James Jones, Yale Bulldogs -- Jones played at then-Division III Albany from 1982-86 and captained the freshman team during his first year on campus.
43. Nate Oats, Buffalo Bulls -- Oats played at D-III Maranatha Baptist University in Watertown, Wisconsin, from 1993-97, serving as a captain and earning all-conference honors.
33. Russell Turner, UC Irvine Anteaters -- Turner was a two-time All-American at Division III Hampden-Sydney, establishing a school record with 2,272 points and leading the school to the first two NCAA tournament appearances in its history. Turner was inducted into the Hampden-Sydney Hall of Fame in 2002.
32. Chris Jans, New Mexico State Aggies -- Jans was a three-year starter and prolific scorer at Division III Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa, between 1987 and 1991, averaging 28.3 points per game and making a school-record 133 3-pointers during his senior season. During Jans' college career, the Duhawks broke 16 scoring records and two D-III records for 3-point shooting.
31. Mike Rhoades, VCU Rams -- Rhoades didn't just play Division III basketball, he was the best player in Division III, winning national player of the year honors in 1995 and two All America citations at Lebanon Valley (Pennsylvania) College. The shooting guard -- who also led the team to a national title in 1994 -- holds school records for points, assists, steals and free-throw percentage, and his jersey was retired by the school.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Smitty Oom

Awesome  article there by ESPN, thanks for sharing Grizz!

I will also note that Freddie Gillespie (JR), the starting center for the Baylor Bears, started his career at Carleton College (MIAC) playing his first two seasons of eligibility there. After he red-shirted last year, he worked his way to a starting spot midway through the season (an injury also opened up a window of opportunity for him).

He averages 5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.1blocks per game while shooting 64.3% from the field.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Becker at Vermont graduated from Catholic and while he didn't play, he did learn a lot under Lonergan while there. He followed Lonergan and took over Vermont after Lonergan left.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 19, 2019, 01:15:50 PM
Quote from: sac on March 19, 2019, 01:14:06 PM

1.  Augustana
2.  North Central
3.  Wheaton
4.  Illinois Wesleyan
5.  Elmhurst
6.  Chicago

I know Ryan indicated there are alignments located some place ... I am not aware things have progressed that far as of yet. Mainly it is speculation on everyone's part. I suspect the national committee will take that up along with next year's tournament schedule in the offseason.

A number of coaches I talked to last weekend definitely represented that they'd seen the proposed lists.  The New England split seemed less solidified than some of the others; I'm sure it's still a work in progress.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Do we know the regions? We can then offer our guidance of how the conferences should be allocated.  ::)

Greek Tragedy

I wonder if they'd actually split up the WIAC, moving Eau Claire, River Falls, Stout and maybe even La Crosse and Platteville to the West and keep Point, Oshkosh and Whitewater in the Central. There are several leagues that are inter-regional already.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

No, there aren't. Each of the previously-split leagues except for the UAA (for obvious reasons) were solidified within single regions several years ago. The entire AMCC is now within the Great Lakes Region, the entire Skyline is now within the Atlantic Region, etc.

I haven't heard anything about an expansion of the number of regions countermanding that don't-split-the-leagues edict.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They will not split conferences into different regions. We have seen how that has not worked very well. UAA is the exception (and the ACAA, but that's another topic for another day).

Greek Tragedy

I'm not real familiar with that. How has they not worked?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 20, 2019, 01:14:36 PM
I'm not real familiar with that. How has they not worked?

One great example - two teams from the same conference sitting at the table for an at-large bid at the same time. That happened a few times in women's basketball (CAC in the Mid-Atlantic and Atlantic Regions before the changes a number of years ago).