WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldini

A pair of what should be easy wins coming RHIT's way this week in St. Mary-of-the-Woods and Defiance at home. This time next week the team mood should be much different for the young team.

Baldini

Quote from: Baldini on December 01, 2019, 06:32:59 PM
A pair of what should be easy wins coming RHIT's way this week in St. Mary-of-the-Woods and Defiance at home. This time next week the team mood should be much different for the young team.

Help educate an old man here folks. What is it about this comment that leads to receiving negative Karma? It was meant to a positive for RHIT, how does anyone view this as a negative? 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Baldini on December 01, 2019, 07:13:06 PM

Help educate an old man here folks. What is it about this comment that leads to receiving negative Karma? It was meant to a positive for RHIT, how does anyone view this as a negative?

It wasn't necessarily for that post.  The problem with karma is there is no way to know what the applauder or smiter was reacting to - it could just as well be someone reading a two-day old post somewhere who took exception to it.

Jester1390

I can tell you the girls are not thinking that way. I had 4 of them with me on thanksgiving and they said   They know they can't take any game for granted. They are very humble girls    At the same time they want and expect to win.  After today's game a parent said it's coming and my daughter and other girls said we have had enough of moral wins we want wins. So that is a good sign. They understand whers they are at and are not accepting that is where they are going to stay.  St Mary's game looks like its run and fun. That is something we have not tried yet

You can tell when they have spurts where they are just tired from the short roster 3 of the girls are averaging over 30 minutes. I told my daughter you may be in shape but after this weekend you will be in basketball shape.  The girls are strong the senior guard is embracing them and leading them.  I believe the past 4 games will have helped them  I can't imagine all the conference games will be as fast and have the defensive intensity that they got from playing 3 top 25 teams and a good berea team. Only time will tell. I know this the last 2 out of 3 games they have been right there if not for one bad quarter. If they can get rid of that they will be pretty good. When they were down 4 at half I told other parents that Washington would come out trying to get more pace and we would see if the girls believed yet.  Unfortunately they turned it over.    They out rebounded Washington for the game that is becoming the normal so they are strong on the boards but they gave 21 pts up off of turnovers this the score

RogK

Jester1390, check these stats for St Mary of the Woods :
https://smwcpomeroys.com/sports/wbkb/2019-20/teams/saintmaryofthewoodscollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=sh
They are a "System" team. If you already know about that style of play, disregard the following. If you're not familiar with that style, first check the minutes per game for the players. Most likely, they sub 4 or 5 at nearly every stoppage of play. Then note the quantity of 3FGs the team shoots per game. Note the per-game rebounds for them and opponents.
Also see the turnovers by them and opponents. True "System" teams trap full-court for the entire game, or at least the first 36-ish minutes. The opponent typically gets many layup opportunities when getting through the press.
RHIT is looking at a fast-paced game, many possessions, possibly/probably season highs in a number of statistical categories.
That said, RHIT Coach Prevo dealt with a (then) "System" team very successfully a few years ago, holding North Central (CCIW) to 49 points :
https://rosehulman.prestosports.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/boxscores/20161126_x4hq.xml?view=boxscore
In their other 24 games that season, North Central averaged 91.3. It does not appear that this year's St Mary's team is as good as North Central was, but nor is this year's RHIT team compared to that RHIT team. At any rate, it should be an unusual game, maybe a wild one. Coach Prevo might be a little nervous having only 8 players.

Mr. Ypsi

Hadn't thought of that.  Hard to imagine taking on a 'System' team with a roster of eight.  Yikes - they're gonna be sore by the end! :o ;)

Darryl Nester

If I had to guess: There might be some Defiance fans lurking on this page who took this as a slight to their team.

Baldini

Quote from: Darryl Nester on December 02, 2019, 07:57:16 AM

If I had to guess: There might be some Defiance fans lurking on this page who took this as a slight to their team.

If , IF that is the reason it is a petty and cowardly act. This is a forum and allows all a chance to voice their opinion on a subject to agree or disagree. Off the top of my head I was thinking of the Defiance men's team that has won 3 conference games in the last two season, but the women's team was a respectable 8-10 in conference last season. And even though they are 0-4 this season in review they have played some good opponents competitively. So I correct myself and they will probably not be an easy win for RHIT in all likelihood. That was easy and anyone could of done just that to point out what they felt was an incorrect statement. It is a forum and things are open for debate, if something is wrong in your opinion state your case. Just don't be a coward.

Pat Coleman

Has to be someone with 200 posts, though. You can't affect another person's karma until you have some longevity on the board.

Baldini also posts about football, so it might well be over there.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Baldini

HCAC schedule this week.

12/2
Earlham @ Wilmington (Ohio)

12/3
Anderson @ Defiance (first conference game)

12/4
Defiance @ Ohio Wesleyan
Hanover @ Franklin
Bluffton @ Mt. St. Joseph
St. Mary-Woods @ Rose-Hulman

12/7
Earlham @ Mt. St. Joseph
Transylvania @ Anderson
Defiance @ Rose-Hulman
Bluffton @ Franklin
Manchester @ Hanover

Darryl Nester

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 02, 2019, 10:57:35 AM

Has to be someone with 200 posts, though. You can't affect another person's karma until you have some longevity on the board.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. A lurker would likely not qualify to hurt someone's karma.

I suppose at some point, you stop paying attention to those numbers. For my part, I still remember exactly what I did to "earn" my three smites.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Darryl Nester on December 02, 2019, 01:36:00 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 02, 2019, 10:57:35 AM

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. A lurker would likely not qualify to hurt someone's karma.

I suppose at some point, you stop paying attention to those numbers. For my part, I still remember exactly what I did to "earn" my three smites.
It'd be nice if we could see which post gets the smite.
Every time I get close to getting back to a 10:1 ratio I seem to pick up a couple random smites within a couple weeks of each other. Always a bit annoying when it happens but I still have a pretty solid score so that the occasional smite doesn't bother me.

And I believe I remember when those smites were Darryl... TGHIJGSTO! ;D
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Darryl Nester

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 02, 2019, 02:23:35 PM
And I believe I remember when those smites were Darryl... TGHIJGSTO! ;D

Actually, I did not get smited as part of that epic tale. Anyone who does not get that reference should read Gregory Sager's summary HERE, which includes this reference:
Even Darryl "Perfect Karma" Nester, the politest man on the boards this side of Ralph Turner, got in on the fun:).

All three of my smites came from (what I thought was) some gentle pushback to an enthusiastic supporter of Marietta in December 2016: First, for this comment:
Quote from: Darryl Nester on December 08, 2016, 07:39:43 AM
Quote from: Darryl Nester on December 07, 2016, 10:41:53 PM
How They Fared (So Far)

As a public service, I've highlighted a result that deserves extra attention, in case anyone had not yet heard the news.

I have finally answered the question, "What can I do that would make someone smite me?"

and then two more smites a couple of weeks later for this:
Quote from: Darryl Nester on December 23, 2016, 10:43:52 AM

Let Spencer have his say. It is Festivus, after all.

P.S. Sorry to interject this tangential history recap into the other conversation here. Please don't smite me. :-\

Pat Coleman

Welp, that's Spence for you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FCGrizzliesGrad

TGHIJGSTO 2... Spence's return. If I remember correctly it ended up being the same person.
Those are tales that will be passed down from generation to generation. It's always fun to look back at that even if it was a bit irksome at the time. The boards have been around a long time and have a lot of good stories, in-jokes, and quotes. We should have a page to collect them all to help the newbies get up to speed. 8-)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer