WBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by purple puff, February 22, 2005, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dball

I had the same question about Capital. I guess we'll see this weekend when everyone starts their sreson

jdean

Quote from: yellstoomuch on November 12, 2005, 08:18:36 AM
Can someone tell me why Capitol is on both D3Hoops and the coaches poll ranked very high. 

In fairness to Cap, they have been very competitive in one of the best conferences in D3. But Wilmington and BW have kept them off the front page the last few years. I saw them when they played a helpless MUC last year and they had one very good frosh. If she is back they might get back to the top of the OAC. Some schools, like Cap and Wittenberg, have a pedigree and will get votes until they prove they no longer deserve them. Forget the polls--they're just opinions.

srubweiser

Yellstoomuch,

I agree with you that # 7 may be a little high for Cap but I must disagree with your reasons.  Looking back at last year, I believe Capital lost 6 games...1 to BW (finished 1st in the league) 2 to wilmington (1 regular season/1 tournament--1st in the league) 2 to otterbein (2nd in the league) and 1 to John Carroll (4th in the league).  Outside of John Carroll I wouldn't consider any of those teams "weak".  Also they peaked at # 2 in the country and return all 5 starters so I am sure that factored into the votes.

jdean

I probably won't have this opportunity very many times so I'm taking advantage of it. Mount WON. They beat Westminster 60-40 after losing their opener. Based on the box scores of the first two games it looks like they're finally learning a lesson they didn't learn last year. They can't shoot 3's, so they only took a handful in their victory. I'm hoping they have one or two more cupcakes on the schedule before the OAC schedule begins.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: dball on November 15, 2005, 12:07:54 PM
I had the same question about Capital. I guess we'll see this weekend when everyone starts their sreson

I think other people hit on the reasons. You mentioned on the other topic that the OAC coaches ranked them second in the league, as if that were a reason Capital couldn't be in the Top 10. I think most people realize the top of the OAC IS that good and the top teams merit high rankings until they prove otherwise.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jdean

Another first in some time--Mount is ABOVE .500. With a 69-48 win over mighty Grove City, Mount improves to 2-1. I feel a top 150 vote coming up. It would be nice to see this carry over into the OAC schedule. The women are home Saturday night so I hope to thaw out from the football game and watch them take on A'gheny.

jdean

What a great day. Oh, forget the football victory and think b-ball for a minute. The lady Raiders beat A'gheny 77-71 in 1OT. Not only was it a great game, it was a great day for Suzy Venet to win # 1 at home. She is everything I thought she would be as a coach and more.
She is obviously a good teacher--to have brought that rag tag group from last year to the players I saw tonight is nothing short of a miracle. They passed fairly well, good aggressive defense, much better shot selection than last year--they played Venet ball, and that ain't bad. Suzy looks to be a good bench coach--yells, prods,motivates, called good TO's. She has some athletic women on the team. They may not be able to pull off the play she diagrams but they look like a group that will die trying--you can't ask for more.
Good luck lady raiders--enjoyed just about every minute.

Toph

John Carroll's all sports broadcast schedule available: 
http://www.jcu.edu/studentl/Athletics/varsity/news/internet_broadcast.htm

One note, WJCU will broadcast the women's game at Wilmington on the 3rd as well.

jdean

The lady Raiders continue to play like a good team. The center, Williams, is an absolute beast under the offensive bucket. Hogan is all over the floor on both ends and Geiger has the ball handling skills of the coach. I have no idea what the records are for the teams they've beaten but MUC is gaining confidence with every V.

jdean

Had other things to do tonight but I see on MUC.edu that the Raiders won by 24 over the Muskies. They visit Cap on Saturday so this will be a good test of this teams strength. A loss by ten in Cap-land would be a good game in my book.

seventiesraider

Congrats to the Lady Raiders on beating their win total for the entire last season. Looking for great things from Suzy and the reborn Lady Raiders.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

dball

Capital has been playing to the level of competition this year. Cap need to make a statement this weekend and put Mount Union away early.

dball

Now the for the real test! Capital 8-0 host Baldwin-Wallace 7-0 on Saturday. The D-3 hoops #5 team against the #10 team. This game will set the tone in the OAC for the rest of the year. Who will have a bullseye on their back after this game?

jdean

Good news, great news and bad news. The bad--Mount took an eleven point lead into the locker room at half against Ott. They came back and hit 25% of their shots and lost by 9. I wasn't there to see it because I was watching Mount's football team win another Nat'l championship (the great news). The good news? BW BURIED Cap in there big game yesterday. Now before you get too upset dball, I would say Cap got "buried" if they lost by 1 in 10 overtimes because I HATE Cap women's basketball. Sorry, I guess BW gets the back bullseye.

dball

WOW HATE! I seem to notice that a lot around the OAC. BW played a very good game not letting down at anytime. Capital lost their concentration in the first half and could not come back.