FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertraider

Quote from: Ohsaa13 on October 16, 2017, 08:07:42 PM
I know the stats for Fuhlford look great on paper however, have any of you been watching replays of the game or film at all?  He continually throws into double coverage with receivers wide open underneath.  Perfect example was this past weekend when he forced a long ball to Hill (3rd time this year). The play ended up being PI but there was a receiver wide open down the seam underneath.  Any other team this was an interception. Against Heidelberg someone made the comment "did you see that throw to Hill in the corner of the end zone?"  Did you I ask? Both defenders literally stood there and watched Hill catch the ball.  All they had to do was stretch out their arms and either one would have knocked it down. They move their feet it's an interception.  The kid has incredible talent to throw the ball and run.  Please do not make the mistake he can read a defense. He is throwing where he is told to and when he needs to find another option he finds an open receiver as they are these receivers are always open.  You can say you worry about the RBs, the line, the secondary...this QB worries me once we play a team with a real secondary.

Yes. yes I did. If you look at the pass and Hill - ignore the DBs they are irrelevant. Why? Because Hill is on the sideline, the ball is front side - th DBs are behind him. Could it have been knocked away by a better D - yep. Could it have been picked - NOPE. He threw to the only spot where his guy is the only guy that is getting it. Same for the long ball. It was over top the coverage - it wasn't getting picked. Could he have had a completion to an under route probably. Does it mean he isn't a good QB cause he missed him? Hell to the no. Cleveland pays a QB a few million to miss guys all the time. That play had 5 options to throw. Hill was not first option. He checked Ruth and Friss and went long - Hill had a step. He is 20 and went for the homerun...seems logical to me.

I would be more concerend if he was throwing across the middle late, into double/triple coverage to the wrong side of the WR/ going long into coverage and missing short. Your assumption that he can't read a defense is spoken like a true never was. Watch his pre-snap adjustments. Is it the play call - sure. Its college and he aint drawing it up in the dirt. But watch him point out pressure pre-snap, or move the sidecar opposite side - not all of that is the play call. He has to see the pressure and adjust to their adjustment.

Oh and be careful with the "any other team". So far it has been 6 other teams and he has no picks against what 27 TDs? He will throw one before its done - but they all do eventually.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

merlecanlas

Fulford has forced a throw this year?  He's throw into double coverage?  get coach Kappas on the phone, we need to switch QB's immediately!!!

Desertraider

Quote from: merlecanlas on October 17, 2017, 12:09:16 PM
Fulford has forced a throw this year?  He's throw into double coverage?  get coach Kappas on the phone, we need to switch QB's immediately!!!

I heard an interview with Tom Brady from a few years back and he had a really good point on this. 'When you get picked off - it was double coverage, when you complete the pass - it was put into a tight window'....or something to that effect. Regardless - I'll take it. Fulford has thrown the ball in some tight windows.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

HScoach

I'm 100% fine with Fulford.   Yes, he throws into tight windows, but does so VERY accurately.   I'll take that over the randomness of a Zac Bruney any day and twice on Saturdays.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: HScoach on October 17, 2017, 06:32:47 PM
I'm 100% fine with Fulford.   Yes, he throws into tight windows, but does so VERY accurately.   I'll take that over the randomness of a Zac Bruney any day and twice on Saturdays.

Yep, as far as things to criticize this team for I'd put qb play near the bottom of the list.

Dr. Acula

I boil down Fulford so far like this:  Every QB and especially every D3 QB makes bad reads and/or bad throws regularly.  He's no different.  But he's a sophomore who has started 7 games in his career and he has 23 TD and 0 INT this year.  He's completing over 70% of his passes despite the fact that his yds per completion is huge.  He's at 256.6 passer efficiency.  The #2 guy in the nation is at 190.  I don't care who you're playing against that's a guy who is very accurate throwing the football the vast majority of the time.  I watched the Cap replay last night and I really liked the touch he showed on a couple deep balls again.  He's improving.  He's getting more comfortable, more confident.  That should scare the crap out of the rest of D3 if he continues developing over the next 2.5 yrs.   

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

I'm thinking Ohsaa13 may have a personal interest in who plays QB at Mount Union to be nitpicking Fulford's play this year.

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

pradierguy

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on October 18, 2017, 09:46:48 AM
I'm thinking Ohsaa13 may have a personal interest in who plays QB at Mount Union to be nitpicking Fulford's play this year.

Yup.

gizzmo13

Fulford has exceeded my expectations already..Good qb.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on October 18, 2017, 09:46:48 AM

ding ding ding, winner winner, dom davis dinner

where's the trash tal...oh it's Wilmington week......who else has George Fox beating Linfield this week?

WRMUalum13

Speaking of QBs was anyone else confused when Robert Powell randomly came in for a series in the 2nd quarter last week. Was Fulford having equipment issues or something?

merlecanlas

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on October 18, 2017, 04:26:58 PM
Speaking of QBs was anyone else confused when Robert Powell randomly came in for a series in the 2nd quarter last week. Was Fulford having equipment issues or something?

Powell isn't the backup QB.  He's the wildcat QB.  He's come in a few times during the first half of games.  Powell comes in and its time to run the football

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Speaking of 13, recent posts on the OAC Board from:

WRMUalum13
gizzmo13
Ohsaa13

Last Friday was Oct 13...

WRMUalum13

Quote from: merlecanlas on October 18, 2017, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on October 18, 2017, 04:26:58 PM

Powell isn't the backup QB.  He's the wildcat QB.  He's come in a few times during the first half of games.  Powell comes in and its time to run the football

That's interesting thanks for the info Merle. It seems a bit redundant to have a wildcat package in a zone read offense with an already mobile qb though doesn't it? I know Powell is faster but switching from a mobile qb to a slightly more mobile qb doesn't seem like it should affect the defensive scheme a whole lot