2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on October 17, 2017, 08:49:45 AMAnd I will try one last time with this emphasis...if Rowan thinks and says and taunts that they are the best team in the country then why were they scared to schedule a little more competition than 4 games (6 total not counting 2 NJAC games) where they won by 5+ goals? Do you honestly think those 4 games will help them more than playing a team like Etown or Eastern or York or Virginia Wesleyan? Anybody with about a .500 record or better that is half decent. Those 4 teams of winning by 5+goals is a joke. Maybe you have 1 or 2 of those games a year but 6??? And you want to say they challenged themselves enough? LOL. They boast the most goals scored in D3 but that's because they played a bunch of cupcakes and almost half of the 64 goals they have came verse only 4 teams!

Since the Rowan team and fans are not taunting or saying anything on this message board, it might help the rest of us to understand why you have gone out of your way to single out Rowan for this critique if you referenced where Rowan is saying and taunting that they are the best team in the country.

Having Albright and Brooklyn on their schedule is ridiculous (Messiah had Mount St. Vincent last year and again this year until MSV cancelled, and most teams, even title-contenders have game like that on the non-conference schedule). But you're going to have a go at Rowan for scheduling Frostburg State and Hood? Based on recent seasons, both those teams met your criteria of about a .500 record or better and half decent. Rowan couldn't know that Frostburg State would have their worst season by far since 2010.  Frostburg hadn't conceded more than 3 goals in a game since 2013 and didn't concede more than 2 goals in a game in 2014 and 2015. And Hood was a team on the rise over the past few seasons, and if they had maintained what they accomplished last year or had continued their rise, that would have been a fine opponent to fill out the schedule.

Frostburg State in recent years:
2016: 9-10-1  |  CAC 5th Place  |  worst defeat L 0-3 (one time)
2015: 11-5-2  |  CAC 4th Place  |  worst defeat L 1-2 or L 0-1
2014: 10-6-3  |  CAC 3rd place  |  worst defeat L 0-1
2013: 13-7-0  |  CAC 3rd Place
2012: 12-3-4  |  CAC 3rd Place
2011: 11-3-5  |  CAC 4th Place

Based on that, who could have predicted they would be 4-9-2 this season and capable of conceding 7 goals in a game?

Hood in recent years:
2016: 11-5-2  |  Commonwealth 4th Place  |  worst defeat L 0-2 or L 2-3
2015: 12-9-0
2014: 8-9-1
2013: 5-11-1

A bit less to be sure they would be a decent side in 2017, but not unreasonable to expect them to be over .500 (they are 7-7-1) and able to keep most all games reasonably close (besides the Rowan game they only have one other loss by more than a single goal).

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on October 17, 2017, 11:57:40 AM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 17, 2017, 11:49:56 AM
Quote from: Go2Goal on October 16, 2017, 10:55:25 PM
Shooter. Your clearly a Messiah homer.

Shooter, a Messiah homer?!?!? You apparently haven't been paying attention.

Case and point. Thank you FW  ;D

Will you be at the Messiah/Lyco match today? Keep us posted if so! I will be watching from a computer screen.

Nope. At work.  Not sure I'll even be able to follow the game much.  I wish this game could be a weekend game.  When E-town was the main rival in the conference, that game was always on the weekend near the end of the season. 

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 17, 2017, 12:01:00 PM

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on October 17, 2017, 08:49:45 AMAnd I will try one last time with this emphasis...if Rowan thinks and says and taunts that they are the best team in the country then why were they scared to schedule a little more competition than 4 games (6 total not counting 2 NJAC games) where they won by 5+ goals? Do you honestly think those 4 games will help them more than playing a team like Etown or Eastern or York or Virginia Wesleyan? Anybody with about a .500 record or better that is half decent. Those 4 teams of winning by 5+goals is a joke. Maybe you have 1 or 2 of those games a year but 6??? And you want to say they challenged themselves enough? LOL. They boast the most goals scored in D3 but that's because they played a bunch of cupcakes and almost half of the 64 goals they have came verse only 4 teams!

Since the Rowan team and fans are not taunting or saying anything on this message board, it might help the rest of us to understand why you have gone out of your way to single out Rowan for this critique if you referenced where Rowan is saying and taunting that they are the best team in the country.

Having Albright and Brooklyn on their schedule is ridiculous (Messiah had Mount St. Vincent last year and again this year until MSV cancelled, and most teams, even title-contenders have game like that on the non-conference schedule). But you're going to have a go at Rowan for scheduling Frostburg State and Hood? Based on recent seasons, both those teams met your criteria of about a .500 record or better and half decent. Rowan couldn't know that Frostburg State would have their worst season by far since 2010.  Frostburg hadn't conceded more than 3 goals in a game since 2013 and didn't concede more than 2 goals in a game in 2014 and 2015. And Hood was a team on the rise over the past few seasons, and if they had maintained what they accomplished last year or had continued their rise, that would have been a fine opponent to fill out the schedule.

Frostburg State in recent years:
2016: 9-10-1  |  CAC 5th Place  |  worst defeat L 0-3 (one time)
2015: 11-5-2  |  CAC 4th Place  |  worst defeat L 1-2 or L 0-1
2014: 10-6-3  |  CAC 3rd place  |  worst defeat L 0-1
2013: 13-7-0  |  CAC 3rd Place
2012: 12-3-4  |  CAC 3rd Place
2011: 11-3-5  |  CAC 4th Place

Based on that, who could have predicted they would be 4-9-2 this season and capable of conceding 7 goals in a game?

Hood in recent years:
2016: 11-5-2  |  Commonwealth 4th Place  |  worst defeat L 0-2 or L 2-3
2015: 12-9-0
2014: 8-9-1
2013: 5-11-1

A bit less to be sure they would be a decent side in 2017, but not unreasonable to expect them to be over .500 (they are 7-7-1) and able to keep most all games reasonable close (besides the Rowan game they only have one other loss by more than a single goal).

Great perspective FW and you are right that one can't predict but only hope when it comes to schedules. The same can be said for teams that scheduled Misericordia like Messiah. 12-5-3 last year and 1-12-1 so far this year. That makes sense so that is a valid point on your end.

As for the taunting and saying this and that I referenced the Rowan team and supporters. Check out the team's social media pages, player quotes, etc. It is one thing to be confident and have goals and it is another to be arrogant. Messiah I am sure has the same goals and aspirations but display it in a professional manner. I can't say the same for Rowan. Once again I am not trying to take away from the team's success I just personally don't think they are going to survive in NCAA's and get to the Final 4 for the multiple reasons I have stated already. That's all. Great team. Top 10 or 15 caliber. Just wish they would have challenged themselves more this year but scheduling is difficult as you pointed out. 

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 17, 2017, 12:05:20 PM
Quote from: Shooter McGavin on October 17, 2017, 11:57:40 AM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 17, 2017, 11:49:56 AM
Quote from: Go2Goal on October 16, 2017, 10:55:25 PM
Shooter. Your clearly a Messiah homer.

Shooter, a Messiah homer?!?!? You apparently haven't been paying attention.

Case and point. Thank you FW  ;D

Will you be at the Messiah/Lyco match today? Keep us posted if so! I will be watching from a computer screen.

Nope. At work.  Not sure I'll even be able to follow the game much.  I wish this game could be a weekend game.  When E-town was the main rival in the conference, that game was always on the weekend near the end of the season.

I agree and the same for me. Will be streaming this one on the smartphone!!  :)

Mr.Right

After watching Rowan for the 1st time this year play RUN I must say they are a legit team. Best in the country? No Can beat anyone on a given day? Yes Can be beaten in early NCAA rounds by anyone on a given day? Yes...I agree with firstplacecloser that Rowan plays very well on their home carpet and in front of their own fans like most teams do. I would be interested to see them play on grass. Last year I watched RUN a couple times on their home carpet and they looked fantastic but then in the NCAA's on Amherst grass field against Brandeis they looked a shell of what I saw earlier in the year. Now that has to do with the quality of opponent also but NJAC teams just do not play a ton of grass games. It would behoove Rowan to win the double in the NJAC and get to host all the way to the Final 4.  Yes they had this advantage last year and were beaten but this is a new year and they will want that chance again.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2017, 02:02:11 PM
After watching Rowan for the 1st time this year play RUN I must say they are a legit team. Best in the country? No Can beat anyone on a given day? Yes Can be beaten in early NCAA rounds by anyone on a given day? Yes...I agree with firstplacecloser that Rowan plays very well on their home carpet and in front of their own fans like most teams do. I would be interested to see them play on grass. Last year I watched RUN a couple times on their home carpet and they looked fantastic but then in the NCAA's on Amherst grass field against Brandeis they looked a shell of what I saw earlier in the year. Now that has to do with the quality of opponent also but NJAC teams just do not play a ton of grass games. It would behoove Rowan to win the double in the NJAC and get to host all the way to the Final 4.  Yes they had this advantage last year and were beaten but this is a new year and they will want that chance again.

yea the only way Rowan goes to F4 is hosting. we hosted 2013 and honestly only beat montclair for that sole reason. plus i just want those games to be 20 minutes away from me haha. but i also agree with whoever said rowan's loses were solely on the goalie bc o was there for both of those games and can tell you it's true. they may very well have to beat RUN again. and also the last time Rowan was NJAC champs was like 2002. RUN i don't think they ever won a conference title. in recent years the NJAC playoffs are insane and almost impossible to predict correctly.

Hopkins92

Quote from: blooter442 on October 16, 2017, 12:19:06 AM
Quote from: PaulNewman on October 15, 2017, 10:16:00 PM
What I take from the last few posts is that D3 isn't supposed to be just about ultra-elite New England private colleges, BUT, it also isn't supposed to be a breeding ground for transfer havens and soccer factories.

Agreed. As an aside, in looking at the list of award-winning schools, there are a number of impressive average team GPAs -- ones that stood out to me included Case Western (3.50), Colorado College (3.52), Haverford (3.51), Vassar (3.57), WashU (3.53), W&L (3.66), and MIT (3.59!). All very good schools in their own rights, so to have athletes maintaining those GPAs (major difficulty nonwithstanding) while playing soccer is really impressive.

Both of Hopkins' teams received this distinction this year with the men pulling a 3.50 and the women a 3.6

/proud alum

blooter442

Quote from: Hopkins92 on October 18, 2017, 04:23:49 PM

Both of Hopkins' teams received this distinction this year with the men pulling a 3.50 and the women a 3.6

/proud alum

Ah, how did I miss that? Hopkins certainly belongs in that group -- impressive indeed.

Falconer

Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 18, 2017, 04:57:39 PM
Men's Regional Rankings are out:

http://www.d3soccer.com/rankings/2017/Men/regional-rankings-1

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d3

How Calvin ranks fourth in the Central region is beyond my comprehension. I know, I know, SOS is everything, but sometimes the numbers just don't tell the full truth, do they? No way any of those teams beats Calvin on a neutral, dry grass pitch. Chicago would give them a good game, perhaps, but this it nuts.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Falconer on October 18, 2017, 05:40:36 PM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 18, 2017, 04:57:39 PM
Men's Regional Rankings are out:

http://www.d3soccer.com/rankings/2017/Men/regional-rankings-1

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d3

How Calvin ranks fourth in the Central region is beyond my comprehension.

Strength of Schedule.  Strength of Schedule.  Strength of Schedule.

The committee likes Strength of Schedule.

Mr.Right

I forget are they doing RvR for just that weeks teams or is it where once ranked always ranked

Mr.Right

One other question....Will the second week bring around a ton of movement because RvR was not included this week? In New England you have an undefeated Springfield only ranked #6 but they have beaten 3 ranked teams in Stevens, Gordon and UMASS Boston.

Christan Shirk

Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Mr.Right

Hmmm..That is a first...So we do not have an answer yet