FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

Quote from: WW on June 06, 2018, 02:58:24 PM
Interesting background for Bills. QBd for Gary Andersen.

Here's a fun fact of the day and a point of reference for earlier discussion. North Central welcomes 60 incoming freshmen to their football team. Guessing the coach is pretty popular with admissions dept.
Agreed. For a school of 3,000, adding 60 students athletes is significant even if few of them are exactly paying retail prices for their education.

WarhawkDad

Quote from: WW on June 06, 2018, 02:58:24 PM
Interesting background for Bills. QBd for Gary Andersen.

Here's a fun fact of the day and a point of reference for earlier discussion. North Central welcomes 60 incoming freshmen to their football team. Guessing the coach is pretty popular with admissions dept.
Remember North Central is a private DIII school and they have something called a "merit scholarship" which basically makes their cost similar to a public school.   It is a very strong recruiting tool in the middle of a large population center.   Having been through their recruiting process (son ultimately chose UWW) I witnessed it firsthand.

I am not saying anything is wrong, just saying it is very alluring to student-athletes and parents alike.

WHD
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

WW

Pre-season Hansen Ratings

3. UWO
8. UWW
12. UWL
13. UWP
34. Stout
42. UWRF
44. UWSP
123. UWEC

I don't think it ends like that but sounds like a fair starting point.

bleedpurple

Quote from: WW on June 15, 2018, 10:54:02 AM

3. UWO
8. UWW
12. UWL
13. UWP
34. Stout
42. UWRF
44. UWSP
123. UWEC

Looks like the Blugolds have some catching up to do! 

WW, I'm intrigued by your optimism regarding UW-L. I know you mentioned the return of Shramski. I think Ben is a good player, but is he really going to be better than the combination of Yaeggi and David? Plus they have lost a great receiver. their OC, and 26 seniors, including 14 starters.  Do you believe Schmidt already has them in reload mode?  I'm not saying they won't be good, but from the outside looking in, they look more like one great big question mark to me.

MUC57

Happy Father's Day to all my friends from the WIAC - and fathers everywhere. God bless! 🇺🇸😀
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

WW

Quote from: bleedpurple on June 16, 2018, 01:02:25 PM

3. UWO
8. UWW
12. UWL
13. UWP
34. Stout
42. UWRF
44. UWSP
123. UWEC

WW, I'm intrigued by your optimism regarding UW-L. I know you mentioned the return of Shramski. I think Ben is a good player, but is he really going to be better than the combination of Yaeggi and David? Plus they have lost a great receiver. their OC, and 26 seniors, including 14 starters.  Do you believe Schmidt already has them in reload mode?  I'm not saying they won't be good, but from the outside looking in, they look more like one great big question mark to me.

My optimism re UW-L hinges significantly on the return of David for his senior season... if he's NOT playing, my optimism will be adjusted accordingly. But I like their returning skill players, especially the depth at WR. Honestly don't know much about the D. But in a general sense, they're trending up, much like Oshkosh was a few years ago. I was witness to their recruiting efforts this year and they do a nice job. They make kids want to be there. Those kids won't make an impact this season, but their success bringing a nice, deep class in suggests there's some justifiable buzz about the UWL program. It's on the rise.

WW

Quote from: WW on June 18, 2018, 10:28:55 AM

3. UWO
8. UWW
12. UWL
13. UWP
34. Stout
42. UWRF
44. UWSP
123. UWEC

My optimism re UW-L hinges significantly on the return of David for his senior season... if he's NOT playing, my optimism will be adjusted accordingly. But I like their returning skill players, especially the depth at WR. Honestly don't know much about the D. But in a general sense, they're trending up, much like Oshkosh was a few years ago. I was witness to their recruiting efforts this year and they do a nice job. They make kids want to be there. Those kids won't make an impact this season, but their success bringing a nice, deep class in suggests there's some justifiable buzz about the UWL program. It's on the rise.

OK, my bad, just saw an article that quotes Schmidt saying the job is "Shramski's to lose." David is not in the mix, and referenced only in past tense, as if he's graduated. What happened to him? He was listed as a junior last year.

bleedpurple

Quote from: WW on June 18, 2018, 10:41:20 AM
Quote from: WW on June 18, 2018, 10:28:55 AM

3. UWO
8. UWW
12. UWL
13. UWP
34. Stout
42. UWRF
44. UWSP
123. UWEC

OK, my bad, just saw an article that quotes Schmidt saying the job is "Shramski's to lose." David is not in the mix, and referenced only in past tense, as if he's graduated. What happened to him? He was listed as a junior last year.

Interesting analysis. Thanks.  I wonder if they will be able to hang on to Coach Schmidt.  IMO, the problems that cracked the foundation of their football program went well beyond the program itself and even beyond the athletic department.  If they are given the foundational support they need, they could be on the way back to WIAC/national prominence. From the outside looking in, it doesn't appear UW-O is going anywhere anytime soon, either.  If UW-W regains form, UW-O keeps form, and UW-L keeps advancing, the WIAC will be stronger than it has been for a long, long time.  Throw in Platteville, who is always dangerous, an upward trending River Falls, and a  Stout program making strides.  There could be some pretty fun days ahead for WIAC fans.

gbpuckfan

Sorry if this isn't new... but, wow, UWO has just three home games.

three non-con games on the road, and then the WIAC split is 3 home/4 away
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

WW

Quote from: gbpuckfan on June 20, 2018, 08:48:39 AM

Yeah... they'll make that up in the postseason. And next year will be 7/3 if the NCs are home and home. I think the Titans are just happy to be playing 10 legit teams this year.

What's your take on the Green Knights, gb? They gotta replace a QB too but Ima put a nickel on them getting off the millennial Schneid vs WIAC when they take on UWEC in NC play. My dark horse in MWC is Chicago -- they're up and comin. (feel free to respond on MWC thread)

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: gbpuckfan on June 20, 2018, 08:48:39 AM

Wait till the have to pay schools to play an away game.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

I wonder if UWP will break through any time soon? 7 consecutive years with no more than 3 losses.
Are they too reliant on the passing game?

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on June 20, 2018, 02:23:54 PM
I wonder if UWP will break through any time soon? 7 consecutive years with no more than 3 losses.
I think so. I think it especially hurts them in goal line situations when the defense doesn't have to concern itself with covering deep. Also, poor weather games tend to hurt teams reliant on the pass. And we are in Wisconsin, soooo...

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on June 21, 2018, 01:37:11 AM
Quote from: emma17 on June 20, 2018, 02:23:54 PM
I think so. I think it especially hurts them in goal line situations when the defense doesn't have to concern itself with covering deep. Also, poor weather games tend to hurt teams reliant on the pass. And we are in Wisconsin, soooo...

Wouldn't the slant work well in that situation?   ;D
"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

UWP is certainly a contender, and I might have to reconsider them in the highly regarded (by no one but me) WW WIAC preseason poll. In this era of football, I don't think there's such a thing anymore as being "too reliant" on passing, IMO. They got a good passer back in Earl (presuming he's back). I never saw UWP play last year but a pal of mine did -- says the only game they got beat in was Oshkosh. Outplayed both UWL and UWW, but not on the scoreboard.

I also don't think poor weather has nearly the effect on passing games it gets the credit for. I know there were some rainy regular-season Saturdays but the worst "poor weather" game I saw was Mount Union and Oshkosh -- 20 mph winds, gusts 25-30, 20 degrees, snow showers. They still managed to combine for more than 600 yards passing.