FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: (509)Rat on April 19, 2018, 09:45:48 PM
If UNC can commit blatant academic fraud and go essentially unpunished, I think UMHB is gonna be just fine. Hopefully they don't lose any scholarships... ::)

Dangerous road to go down... comparing cases face to face... especially in different divisions.

If you want to compare, stick to DIII... and it's still a dangerous road. DIII has different bylaws and rules in many ways - even when they seem similiar. Furthermore, the Committee on Infractions is run by DIII members as the DI version is run by DI members. There is no cross over.

Remember, this isn't "Indy" or "NCAA" ... it's DIII. DIII governs itself.

I realize you are putting some tongue into check especially with the final comment, but too many people actually think this way... making comparisons across divisions. I just want to make sure people understand ... this investigation is it's own thing. Leave it to be it's own thing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Doesn't matter. Nothing will happen other than UMHB will still be 3-0 to start the season.

D O.C.

QuoteI hope people don't crazy with this story like they did with our situation involving our QB Fulford. Let's give credit to the fact that this was self-reported.

Yes, and my old memory says Fulford did not self-report.
Collective Alliance held breath with the Florida decision expected to come down Friday, 4-20, aka Levell Day.

UMU going south to recruit is just in it's baby stages too.

Toby Taff

Quote from: MUC57 on April 19, 2018, 11:29:40 AM

Toby Taff

When UMHB plays HSU, who do your kids root for? I'm just avoiding the other discussion.
Thank you for your attention to this issue. I AM old and get mixed up and forget things!
Good luck to the Cru.

I have one that's a student at UMHB and one that will be a UMHB freshman in the fall. Neither of them like sports.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

MUC57

D O. C.

Not sure I understand your point in your last post. I was merely stressing the need for restraint in making wild accusations about the UMHB situation. You're right, Fulford did not self report. So?
The wild conjecture seems to be present in both cases.
But, maybe I just missed your point. Help me out, please! Thanks.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

MonroviaCat

Quote from: MUC57 on April 20, 2018, 07:03:18 AM

D O. C.

Not sure I understand your point in your last post. I was merely stressing the need for restraint in making wild accusations about the UMHB situation. You're right, Fulford did not self report. So?
The wild conjecture seems to be present in both cases.
But, maybe I just missed your point. Help me out, please! Thanks.
ha!  nobody every understands DOC's posts and they don't always have a point :)   ::)
Go Cats!

MUC57

MonroviaCat

Thanks, I needed that. And I do have  a Linfield sweatshirt and window scraper. Do get funny looks when I wear the shirt on the Mount campus. I have texted lots to Coco and Mrs. Coco.
In closing I will say - Go Cats. (And a big Go Raiders also). Good luck on the season!

George Thompson

Ralph or Pat,

Do you know how many NCAA infractions occur in DIII football?

I have only been involved since 1997 when Linfield and the Northwest Conference joined.     But, since then, I can't recall many at all.

UMB has always had my greatest respect.   

George
GO CATS! GO!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: D O.C. on April 20, 2018, 12:55:09 AM
QuoteI hope people don't crazy with this story like they did with our situation involving our QB Fulford. Let's give credit to the fact that this was self-reported.

Yes, and my old memory says Fulford did not self-report.
Collective Alliance held breath with the Florida decision expected to come down Friday, 4-20, aka Levell Day.

UMU going south to recruit is just in it's baby stages too.

Sheesh, Dennis. You act like Levell Coppage was on the team when your prohibition-style mores were so wounded. Give. It. A. Rest.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D O.C.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 23, 2018, 04:06:28 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on April 23, 2018, 03:28:56 PM
Yes Sir.
I can do that.

Perhaps you can. But will you, this time?

He achieved his goal already. He's dragged UWW's success into question along with Mt and UMHB. 
I admit to not always knowing the rule of when a post qualifies as "trolling", but these little DOC bombs surely seem to have incendiary intentions.

MUC57

Desertraider

Quote from: George Thompson on April 22, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Ralph or Pat,

I have only been involved since 1997 when Linfield and the Northwest Conference joined.     But, since then, I can't recall many at all.

George

I think UW Lax got caught up in giving improper benefits to athletes a ways back (2010 range). Thought it was regarding financial aid and was heavy towards football but not entirely limited to football and occurred over a number of years. If I am wrong in that I am sure someone will point it out. Aside from that one I can't recall many.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

wally_wabash

Quote from: George Thompson on April 22, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Ralph or Pat,

George

This is searchable, but for Division III football only since 1997, there aren't a lot of cases involving major infractions. 
Ohio Northern, 2005
Wesley, 2009
Hobart, 2011
Illinois College, 2012
Occidental, 2013
Maine Maritime, 2013
UW-River Falls, 2014
Emory and Henry, 2015
Rose-Hulman, 2015
Kalamazoo, 2016
Susquehanna, 2016
Elmhurst, 2017

My sense from reading the summaries of these cases is that nearly all of them result from misunderstanding from aid departments on whether or not they can consider participation in high school athletics the same way they consider other extracurriculars when awarding aid packages (the quick answer: No.  No they cannot.).  I don't think most of these schools were trying to cheat and gain advantage as much as they were awarding participation in high school athletics the same way they would award participation in glee club or student government or a quiz bowl team.   
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire