MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WPI89

Big bounce back for WPI tonight. Solid win. What an interesting , hard to predict upcoming conference schedule. Looking forward to it.

seamusoflannigan1934

What a crazy day for the NEWMAC! Proud of Emerson for picking up yet another big win over MIT. The big 3 of Grey, Waterhouse, and O'Connor may be the best collection of talent I've ever seen at this level. Border line impossible to stop when they have it going like they did tonight! Congrats to WPI for bouncing back impressively against Wheaton. Babson also picked up a great road win over coast guard, I watched the whole game. Think they would be better off if they played through Ulrickson in the post more often, the kid is dominant on the block and needs more touches in my opinion! Matchup nightmare!

WPI89

First karma point Seamus!  Welcome officially to NEWMAC board. Great analysis. Emerson looks like the real deal.

BaboNation

First off, belated welcome to Seamus!

OK, raise your hands if you could imagine a day before this season started where you would see Clark beat Springfield (last year Final 4) and Emerson beat MIT (last year Elite 8, with everyone returning).  Crazy.

I expected a big drop off for MIT with the injuries they are now facing, but I underestimated Emerson.  While it's no surprise what Gray can do (2018 NEWMAC 1st team), O'Connor has taken 2 steps forward, and Houston and Waterhouse may be battling it out for NEWMAC ROY.  The next 5 league games will tell a lot about whether Emerson is capable of being first-division in the NEWMAC (road vs. Springfield, WPI, Wheaton; home vs. Babson; road vs. MIT).  If they can go 3-2 over that stretch they will be a force.

Babson had a really nice win @ Coast Guard and are now 32-2 in their last NEWMAC road games.  Coolahan, who was inserted into the starting lineup while Jaworski recovered, established another career best 28 points.  He may remain a starter since his outside shooting provides so much spacing for Oftring and Johnson to operate inside.  They are still getting hurt by quick guards (Baldez is the latest example), and the frosh have taken a step back since the start of NEWMAC play.  Bradanese left the game with an injury.  If he can't return to give Oftring some rest the interior defense will suffer.

WPI bounced back from a rough stretch and took Wheaton behind the woodshed.  The Engineers have too much talent and coaching to stay down for long.

BaboNation

I'm not the only one who underestimated Emerson.  They have advanced higher in the Massey ratings than any other team in D3.  At #120 (out of 428) they are just outside the top quartile.

WPI89

Good win for WPI. Didn't get to see video. But wow the teams shot 22-23 combined from charity stripe. Play by play seems like a tough win and move on NEWMAC game!

BaboNation

Took in the 1st half of Springfield @ MIT.   

Hamilton Forsythe returns for MIT for his first game since the season opener!  If MIT can get Jurko back at some point they could still make a deep postseason run.  (Getting Korb back wouldn't hurt either).

MIT is getting just about whatever they want in this game, and Jomard and Roberts are putting on a 2-man clinic.  Springfield is barely in this game at the half (down 20), behind Ross' 15 points.

What a glaring difference in the two offenses.  The Pride already has 13 turnovers and is struggling to find any rhythm.  MIT is moving the ball inside and out and they present matchup problems all over the floor.

BaboNation

Babson wins easily at home against Wheaton 77-65 after squandering a large portion of their 27 point lead.
Some payback for losing both games to the Lyons last year.
Jaworski is back in the starting lineup for the first time since before the break.
The big 3 of Johnson-Oftring-Jaworski all had good games.  Forgiving the lapse over the last 10 minutes with lots of subbing, Babson is playing at a high level right now.  They are sharing the ball on offense and playing outstanding team defense.
This sets up a great matchup this weekend @ MIT, with Babson 5-0 and MIT 4-1 in conference play.  I can't wait to see the Roberts-Oftring battle inside.  I heard the MIT play-by-play guy say that AJ Jurko may  even be back for the game.

WPI89

Very good win for WPI tonight.

Mr. Ypsi

A question for anyone who knows the answer.  The Coast Guard, of course, is going unpaid during the government shutdown.  I'm sure there is at least indirect fallout on the Academy (and many of its students), but is the Coast Guard Academy directly affected at all by the shutdown?

I can't help wondering if this huge distraction is at least partially to blame for them falling from 9-1 to 10-5 over the last few weeks (I realize the main culprit is a big rise in the quality of opponents).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Coast Guard is directly affected ... their SID, for example, is not allowed to be at work. That includes other administrators. Their AD (former yet?) told me the last time he was doing the laundry because no other admins were on site.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Faculty are working for free as well.

What a mess.

Let's build more of the wall that we have been building for a long time and find a solution for DACA.  It will largely be seen as a draw by the undecided voters.  Move on to the next fight.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: WUPHF on January 17, 2019, 10:38:58 PM
Faculty are working for free as well.

What a mess.

Let's build more of the wall that we have been building for a long time and find a solution for DACA.
  It will largely be seen as a draw by the undecided voters.  Move on to the next fight.

Illegal immigration is mostly from overstaying visas by people coming by plane.  Drugs are mainly by venues manned by TSA and the Coast Guard, both of whom are currently unpaid, or hidden into shipments thru legal ports of entry.  The Wall is a hugely expensive non-solution in search of a problem (since illegal immigration is at historic lows).  (There is already a fence in all places it makes any sense to put a fence; the rest is better defended by drones and sensors.)

Unfortunately Trump is now painted into a corner by his 'allies' - e.g., Coulter, Hannity, and Limbaugh.  If he caves, he is dead meat; if he doesn't the country is dead meat.

WUPHF

I am not a proponent of the wall, but Bush invested in the wall, Obama invested in the wall, this is not new...

The ask for the wall is not expensive by federal government standards and resolving the DACA issue would provide for a good trade-off.  Not to mention the shovel ready jobs.

As for the illegal immigration story from the Huffington Post and Vox that suggested that there are more illegal immigrants from Canada, well, US immigration law is complicated and if we were in the politics board, I would explain how problematic that story is.  I'll say though, laborers who illegally enter seeking work affect US workers in a way that the Canadian tourist who stays longer than they should never would.

I am to the left on immigration, but I understand that with immigration, there are winners and losers and good policy would moderate the impact on those negatively affected.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: WUPHF on January 17, 2019, 11:35:13 PM
I am not a proponent of the wall, but Bush invested in the wall, Obama invested in the wall, this is not new...

The ask for the wall is not expensive by federal government standards and resolving the DACA issue would provide for a good trade-off.  Not to mention the shovel ready jobs.

As for the illegal immigration story from the Huffington Post and Vox that suggested that there are more illegal immigrants from Canada, well, US immigration law is complicated and if we were in the politics board, I would explain how problematic that story is.  I'll say though, laborers who illegally enter seeking work affect US workers in a way that the Canadian tourist who stays longer than they should never would.

I am to the left on immigration, but I understand that with immigration, there are winners and losers and good policy would moderate the impact on those negatively affected.

Yes, previous presidents have built 'the wall', which is why we now have all the wall that is needed (or practicable).  Trump's wall would be an environmental nightmare and serve no purpose except to be his 'pyramid'.  Almost no one comes across the areas where he wants a wall (and drones, sensors, and BP agents would be vastly more effective and cheaper than a $50B wall).  And, yes, the $5.7B is barely a down payment on what would be a humongous waste of money.