The Top 10 Eastern Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by pg04, June 30, 2007, 04:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: pumkinattack on December 19, 2012, 03:41:46 PM

Interestingly, w the St Thomas game - we lost Devin Worthington on the first defensive play (from our 4 on a bad snap on a punt) - either 1b or #2 most important guy on the team and the magnitude of the dropoff to the backup is massive ).  Depth matters when you get to that point, but there's a handful of guys that just can't be replaced mid season every year.  Usually a QB or RB, but sometimes it's defense.  We played better without Strang and our #3 WR last year vs. Wesley than we did w/o Worthington vs. St Thomas.

That might explain some of the defensive issues, but there were still problems with offense in that game both in the passing game (50% completion, 0 TD/3 INT) and running game (two carries generating 2/3 of the rushing total). Hobart's first nine drives—not counting the one just before the half—generated 137 total yards of offense. Seven generated less than 20 yards.
167 of the 294 yards Hobart finished with came on the final three drives, which began with them trailing 40-7.

The Statesmen were good, but they were not one player away from changing that game.

pumkinattack

No that's absoultely true.  The offense was always the weakness of the team (with the secondary being the second weakness).  I told a buddy alum a few times that while Strang had an excellent career, he wasn't as talented as 3 QB's since 2000 -Swanson, Mizro & Strom, and really on par with Rich Doyle who sat behind Mizro for three (playoff) years.  JR Woodard is on par with most of the best WR's of the last weekend, but there's been better #2 and #3's than Yosh K and whoever #3 was this year.  Even TE, we had a soph come on late in the season who'll be a weapon, but not much there either.  The rushing game was on par with any Hobart's had and the defense is the best I've ever seen in 15 odd years, but the passing game was spotty and could make the team one dimensional at times. 

As for Osh-Kosh Linfield.  That's true, but I don't see how amazingly competitive Osh Kosh was the following week vs. St Thomas.  Sure Hobart's game was a blowout, but the way I see it, Osh Kosh got down 28-7 and it was all over.  Even the Elmhurst game vs. St Thomas, Elmhurst was lucky to catch some breaks early and get out to 14-0, then basically got shut out for three quarters (24-3 in the final three quarters).  Games are won and lost typically by the better team and everyone knows it who watches it, but scores can be all over the map in games dictated and dominated by one side and all three when I look closely at them tell the same story in different ways. 

Ralph Turner

This board has been quiet for 5 years. It is the off-season. How about an update?

AUPepBand

Okay, I'll get it started by making a preposterous statement that everyone will disagree with and perhaps thereby provoke some posts but usually my posts result in nothing but crickets.

I'll say that ALFRED is among the Top Ten Eastern Region teams since 1999 (which Pep believes encompasses the D3football.com Era). Where the Saxons stand? Will need to take a look....later.

For now, Pep will suggest that Wesley, Del Valley, St. John Fisher, Hobart all ought to be in the Top Ten.

Are we discussing specific seasons of teams or overall predominant programs?

Discuss.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bombers798891

I think we'd talk about specific years.

The interesting thing about these lists, for me, is seeing how people go about their list. I told this story a few pages back in this thread, but I was talking with Mike Welch about the best IC team he ever had, and both of us agreed it was the 2004 team...which completely missed the NCAAs. Keep in mind, Mike's first ever team was a play away from going to the Stagg Bowl, and his '01 and '03 teams won two playoff games as well.

dlippiel

Quote from: AUPepBand on June 13, 2018, 10:33:08 AM
Okay, I'll get it started by making a preposterous statement that everyone will disagree with and perhaps thereby provoke some posts but usually my posts result in nothing but crickets.

I'll say that ALFRED is among the Top Ten Eastern Region teams since 1999 (which Pep believes encompasses the D3football.com Era). Where the Saxons stand? Will need to take a look....later.

For now, Pep will suggest that Wesley, Del Valley, St. John Fisher, Hobart all ought to be in the Top Ten.

Discuss.

dlip agrees with that. Just a couple of years ago they had an offense that UMU could barely contain...of course Alfred's defense couldn't contain UMU but that's par for the course.

dlip would also argue that Union's 2005 team should be in the discussion possibly as one of the top ten.

AUPepBand

Quote from: dlip on June 13, 2018, 11:46:31 AM

Discuss.

dlip agrees with that. Just a couple of years ago they had an offense that UMU could barely contain...of course Alfred's defense couldn't contain UMU but that's par for the course.

dlip would also argue that Union's 2005 team should be in the discussion possibly as one of the top ten.

Okay, so if we're going for the best team by season, Pep will go out on a limb and say that Brockport 2017, St. John Fisher 2006 and Alfred 2016 teams are three that belong on this list of Top Ten since 1999.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

dlippiel

Quote from: AUPepBand on June 13, 2018, 03:21:26 PM

Discuss.

Okay, so if we're going for the best team by season, Pep will go out on a limb and say that Brockport 2017, St. John Fisher 2006 and Alfred 2016 teams are three that belong on this list of Top Ten since 1999.

Dlip likes both, program and team by season. For some reason team by season intrigues him a bit more.

Dlip may honestly place BP 2017 behind SJF 06 and Alfred 16...maybe. On top of that the Springfield Pride team of 2006, which SJF 16 defeated in the NCAA's should be under consideration as well IDHO. They were ****ing nasty...anyone recall dlip' man crush on Chris Sharpe?

dlippiel

Discuss.

dlip also thinks that if he were to include the Dutchmen team of 2005 (maybe) then would then have to consider the 10-0, 12-1 Del Val team of 2006 and definitely the 11-2, 5-1 Rowan 2006 team which defeated both of previous teams mentioned and only lost to UMU in Alliance 19-7. However, when looking back dlip almost ****ing **** himself in disbelief seeing as the Prof's lone conference loss that year was to Willy P???

Bartman

OK, all good input. As a homer selection, I would love to relive the Hobart teams of 2012, 2013 and 2014, all undefeated in the regular season and 34-3 overall. Perhaps the best consecutive years in the last 20. I think the 2012 team was one of the best of the East in last 20 years(final Eight), just had a bad game at St. Thomas when Nick Strang had an off day and Devin Worthington,OLB, went down on the first play. Not sure that the Alfred team of 2016 would have beaten the Hobart team of 2012(heck the H2016 was tied with MUC in the 4th and lost by fewer points than Alfred did and I wish Hobart and Alfred played each other instead of MUC in 2016) If H2012 played Brockport 2017 that would have been brutal but I do think Brockport 2017 would win 2 out of 3. Tyre Coleman chasing and catching Germinerio or Tyler Johnson would have been special ....although we'll never know.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Ok, here are some stats from last 15 years(D3football goes back to 2003), Includes Wesley All years, Ranked by times in Top 25(End of Season)

Team                  Top 25          Top10          Top 5
   1.Wesley              13                11               4
   2.Hobart                8                  2               -
   3.SJ Fisher             7                  3               1
   4.Del Val                7                  2               2
   5.Rowan                6                   3               1
   6.Ithaca                 6                  1                -
   7.Cortland             5                   1
   8.Salisbury            5                   1               -
   9.Frosty                 2                   1
  10.Brockport           2                   1
  HM.Albright             2
       Alfred                 2
      Union                  2
      RPI (03 Team)      1                  1               1

If anyone checks these numbers and finds an error, congratulations you are more of a Nerd than I am ;)
I must REALLY need the season to start......
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MUC57

Bartman

We ALL need the season to start!
I find your stats very interesting. Have never seen them presented in this format before. I assume these are rankings at any time during the season. Right? As opposed to preseason only or end of season only?
I really like them. To me, they tell a story of success (or not so much).
Go Hobart! Go Mount Union! You guessed it, Go Everybody! ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

dlippiel

Quote from: Bartman on June 15, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
Ok, here are some stats from last 15 years(D3football goes back to 2003), Includes Wesley All years, Ranked by times in Top 25

Team                  Top 25          Top10          Top 5
   1.Wesley              13                11               4
   2.Hobart                8                  2               -
   3.SJ Fisher             7                  3               1
   4.Del Val                7                  2               2
   5.Rowan                6                   3               1
   6.Ithaca                 6                  1                -
   7.Cortland             5                   1
   8.Salisbury            5                   1               -
   9.Frosty                 2                   1
  10.Brockport           2                   1
  HM.Albright             2
       Alfred                 2
      Union                  2
      RPI (03 Team)      1                  1               1

If anyone checks these numbers and finds an error, congratulations you are more of a Nerd than I am ;)
I must REALLY need the season to start......

Good stuff Bartman +k and yes those Hobart teams were quite nasty and certainly worthy of consideration. Wesley is a ****ing beast!

MUC57

Hey Bartman

If dlip can give you a +k, I can too. You got it! ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

UfanBill

Quote from: MUC57 on June 15, 2018, 03:22:31 PM

Hey Bartman

If dlip can give you a +k, I can too. You got it! ☠🏈

Hey MUC57, THAT'S worth a +k to get you back to even!
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳