Stephen Strasburg

Started by Mr. Ypsi, June 08, 2010, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 10, 2010, 01:02:21 AM
Looks like the correction worked.

To all those who didn't correct me, either thank you for not humiliating me, or shame on you for not noticing! :o ;D ;)

Ypsi, No Worries, honest mistake, plus, we are not on the "Politics" thread ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Strasburg made his second start today - another very impressive outing, but he IS human!  After 5.1 innings, he had yielded just one hit (albeit a solo HR); he then gave up a single and two walks (bringing his BB total to 5, vs. 8 Ks), and was pulled.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 13, 2010, 03:18:31 PM
Strasburg made his second start today - another very impressive outing, but he IS human!  After 5.1 innings, he had yielded just one hit (albeit a solo HR); he then gave up a single and two walks (bringing his BB total to 5, vs. 8 Ks), and was pulled.

Only 1 human I know throws fastball above 100 MPH consistently and a change up at 90 MPH......Some though Superman was human too..... ;D
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on June 13, 2010, 06:15:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 13, 2010, 03:18:31 PM

Only 1 human I know throws fastball above 100 MPH consistently and a change up at 90 MPH......Some though Superman was human too..... ;D

Not sure of the speed on their other pitches, but both Zumaya and Verlander of the Tigers consistently throw 100.

Mr. Ypsi

{I'll put this here, rather than resurrect an old thread.)

If pitching is your thing, check out the battle for Chicago!  The Sox's Floyd and the Cubs' Lilly have a double no-hitter going after 5!! :o

Mr. Ypsi

The double no hitter lasted thru 6.5 innings.  The Cubs broke thru w/ 2 hits and a run in the bottom of the 7th.  The Sox were no-hit until the 9th.  (Lilly must have exceeded his pitch-count, because with a no-hitter thru 8, he was immediately pulled after a lead-off single in the 9th.)

Final: Cubs, 1 run, 3 hits; Sox, 0 runs, 1 hit.

Soccer haters would have hated this game! ;D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 13, 2010, 10:45:19 PM
The double no hitter lasted thru 6.5 innings.  The Cubs broke thru w/ 2 hits and a run in the bottom of the 7th.  The Sox were no-hit until the 9th.  (Lilly must have exceeded his pitch-count, because with a no-hitter thru 8, he was immediately pulled after a lead-off single in the 9th.)

Final: Cubs, 1 run, 3 hits; Sox, 0 runs, 1 hit.

Soccer haters would have hated this game! ;D
Length of game -- 2:20

That was fast.  You just get into your seat.  You see great pitching and defense.  The thrill of a no-hitter...  You didn't have time to get bored!

After watching a bunch of Yankees Red Sox games, you're still 40 minutes away from the 7th inning stretch when the Cubs/White Sox game is over!   :D

Mr. Ypsi

First time in 30 years that a game went no-no thru 6.5.

Perhaps to show how fluky these things are, the two pitchers were 1-5 and 2-6 entering the game! ;)  [And 1-5 beat 2-6. :P]

Anyone who thinks they know baseball doesn't know baseball! ;D

frank uible

By the time Bob Feller was Strasburg's current age he had 82 big league wins and had led the American League three years in strikeouts and two years in complete games.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: frank uible on June 14, 2010, 04:54:19 AM
By the time Bob Feller was Strasburg's current age he had 82 big league wins and had led the American League three years in strikeouts and two years in complete games.
Feller, born Nov 3, 1918, then enlists in the Navy on Dec 8, 1941 and spends the 1942-45 seasons on active duty.

frank uible

And classily has never uttered a word of regret about how WWII carved the heart out of his baseball career when he was in his prime.

Just Bill

I was probably about 6 years old when I met Bob Feller and he signed my glove at a minor league game. I readily admit I didn't really know who he was.  But I clearly remember by dad, who grew up an Indians fan, being almost speechless and trying to convey his admiration in the 15 seconds of face time he had with Feller.

That might have been the only time in my life I've seen my dad, a natural born sales/marketing wizard, at a loss for words.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: frank uible on June 14, 2010, 04:54:19 AM

Feller on Strasburg article

Click on link
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100610&content_id=11040890&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

My father grew up in Ohio. Was a big Feller and Indians fan and saw him pitch several times.. My brother-in-law has a picture with him as a young child sitting on Feller's lap with his grandparents and aunt in the picture. My wife's aunt lived near where the Indians held spring training in Tucson and entertained many of the Indians during those days. She may have been the Annie Savoy like in Bull Durham in those days.....
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

ECSUalum

Strasburg still Rockin and Rolling in MLB for the Nats. Striking out a boat load of hitters to date.  Looks to be the real deal to me!!!

badgerwarhawk

He definitely looks to be a keeper.  The only rap so far is that he's faced weaker teams so it will be interesting to see how he does when he faces some of the stronger ones.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."