3) CONCORDIA-TEXAS
4) TEXAS-TYLER
5) LINFIELD
6) LA VERNE
7) POMONA-PITZER
8) OCCIDENTAL
9) PACIFIC LUTHERAN
10) CAL LUTHERAN
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Piobark

For the NWC, I'd watch out for Whitworth.

Off to a 6-3-1 start on a pretty soft schedule. Wins over Oxy and UPS

They've got more pitching than in years past - with a freshman to watch in Spencer Ansett.

BigPoppa

I'd still find a way to place Chapman in the West's top ten. They will be there in the end and we all know it:)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 21, 2012, 12:36:54 PM
I'd still find a way to place Chapman in the West's top ten. They will be there in the end and we all know it:)
I reserve my judgement until after the Trinity series. In the past they always seem to turn things around.

They have outstanding 1,2,3 guys in the pitching staff which we keep them in all games. They are struggling defensively. 2 of 3 losses are related to defense and poor middle to late relief pitching. These are very fixable things for Chapman I fully expect them at the end of the season to get that Pool C bid.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

108 Stitches

It is still early and games the next two weeks will make things a lot clearer. I am not sure if UofDallas has played enough tough teams to rank them number 1. I saw the Concordia/Trinity game and it was a good one 3-2 with good arms on both sides. The weather (wind) made it a little closer than maybe it should have been as some pretty hard hit balls by TU were held up. TU is playing well but I am not sure about the number 1-2 ranking just yet either. They did take 2 of 3 from probably the best batting line up IMO in Div 3* (*moving down from D1...still)

That said I am still not sure where TU fits at the moment, they are clearly top 10 but how close to number 1 spot I am not sure.

dahlby

I have been under the impression that ratings are based upon now, not past performance(s) or future expectations, but where a team is now. Not that all voters have followed that practice all the time. Are there any printed guidelines as to what criteria the voters are to follow? If so, I would appreciate a link so I can read. Thanks.

BigPoppa

Quote from: dahlby on February 21, 2012, 01:36:42 PM
I have been under the impression that ratings are based upon now, not past performance(s) or future expectations, but where a team is now. Not that all voters have followed that practice all the time. Are there any printed guidelines as to what criteria the voters are to follow? If so, I would appreciate a link so I can read. Thanks.

To my knowledge, there is no set guideline for voters to follow. My preseason rankings have always been based on what I feel teams have coming back (though often what is coming back can be highlighted in the previous year's post-season while fewer teams are playing). I often feel that by late-March or Early-April (week 3 or 4 of the polls) the true identitites of teams have arrived. there are always a few biases in the ranking but I try to avoid them when possible. For example, I generally rate Carthage a bit lower than I feel they should be in order to avoid being called a "homer." Others rate their faves much higher than the rest of the pollsters. Just a difference in methods.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

TOP TEAMS IN THE WEST 2-20-2012

SCAC
Trinity-Texas 9-1
University of Dallas 8-0

ASC
Concordia-Texas 8-2
Texas-Tyler 6-1

NWC
Pacific Lutheran 4-2
Linfield 3-1

SCIAC
Occidental 8-3
La Verne 7-3
Pomona-Pitzer 6-1-1
Cal Lutheran 6-3
Chapman 4-3 :'(

MY TOP 10
1) UNIVERSITY OF DALLAS
2) TRINITY-TEXAS
3) CONCORDIA-TEXAS
4) TEXAS-TYLER
5) LINFIELD
6) LA VERNE
7) POMONA-PITZER
8) OCCIDENTAL
9) PACIFIC LUTHERAN
10) CAL LUTHERAN

I have no votes for the top 25 but this is my opinion only. Teams have to prove to me they belong in the top  by winning and NOT losing to teams they should beat.

108 Stitches

I agree with you Crash, but you have to factor in SOS. It is commonly used in all D1 polls and rankings, and I think should be taken into account for other divisions. Not sure there is enough data in this regard for DIII. The only data I have is from last year and Chapman has a number 3/359 SOS and Occidental is a 139/359. Chapman is considered to have a number 1 for this year, so I would not be throwing them under the bus too soon. Same with Occidental, not sure they are a top 10 team and I am certain that UofDallas is not the number one team. (at least not yet)  As BigPoppa pointed out we will have a much better idea in another 4-5 weeks. In the mean time it makes for interesting conversation.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 21, 2012, 06:11:19 PM
I agree with you Crash, but you have to factor in SOS. It is commonly used in all D1 polls and rankings, and I think should be taken into account for other divisions. Not sure there is enough data in this regard for DIII. The only data I have is from last year and Chapman has a number 3/359 SOS and Occidental is a 139/359. Chapman is considered to have a number 1 for this year, so I would not be throwing them under the bus too soon. Same with Occidental, not sure they are a top 10 team and I am certain that UofDallas is not the number one team. (at least not yet)  As BigPoppa pointed out we will have a much better idea in another 4-5 weeks. In the mean time it makes for interesting conversation.
Agreed !  ;D

Chapman has not yet begun their games against top teams yet and that is my concern. In the past the outstanding coaching staff at CU makes the adjustments necessary and rights the ship in the past and no doubt they could do it again. TOP 25 polls are great for fans, and supporters but to players and coaches the only thing that matters is 1st get into the playoffs, 2nd Win your Regional and 3rd Win the National Championship and I am sure those are CU goals every year and it dont matter how they get their even if the road is bumpy and sometimes ugly along the way.

Ralph Turner

I would expect UDallas to win all 9 games.  ETBU has not been above mid-pack in the ASC East in several years. SRSU usually does well to go 7-14 in the ASC-West. Austin College is only fair.

UDallas has a 33 game schedule this season. I am expecting them to be 25-8 and 23-6 in-region at the least.

(Texas Wesleyan is NAIA. Texas-Arlington is D-1 Southland Conference, a good baseball conference.)

dp643

I havent seen them play yet, but judging by their stats and who they have played, I am worried about UT Tylers pitching staff. I think this may be a dropoff year for them. Time will tell if I am right.

I watched the Trinity/UMHB game last night on the internet. Trinity looks very fundamentally sound. It was essentially a neck and neck game with UMHB leading going into the 7th. Trinity took the lead and won by executing first and third situations. I love the First and Third bunt play that Trinity always seems to execute. They have been doing that for years. One hit out of the infield, and 2 runs in the inning proved to be the difference. Nick Pappas also hit a ball that I still dont think has landed yet.

108 Stitches

I too watched the game DP. I would say Trinity looked a little sluggish at the start. 1st and 3rd in the first inning with no outs and not getting a run was not a good way to start the game. The UMHB pitcher was doing a great job for the first 4-5 innings, but this is how Trinity has been winning close games they keep chipping away at the starter until he gets pulled and then they jump on everyone else who comes in. Their pitching and bullpen keeps them in all games so even when they get behind, they have this swagger that they know they are going to come back. They will not win all close games but they're going to win their fare share. I loved the UMHB announcer, their music was really really really bad (how a college could even think about playing that stuff floors me!)  as well as the video quality was equally as bad.

dp643

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 22, 2012, 11:04:12 AM
I too watched the game DP. I would say Trinity looked a little sluggish at the start. 1st and 3rd in the first inning with no outs and not getting a run was not a good way to start the game. The UMHB pitcher was doing a great job for the first 4-5 innings, but this is how Trinity has been winning close games they keep chipping away at the starter until he gets pulled and then they jump on everyone else who comes in. Their pitching and bullpen keeps them in all games so even when they get behind, they have this swagger that they know they are going to come back. They will not win all close games but they're going to win their fare share. I loved the UMHB announcer, their music was really really really bad (how a college could even think about playing that stuff floors me!)  as well as the video quality was equally as bad.

The announcer is a friend and old teammate of mine. That was only his second or third game announcing, and its not too easy of a task. The music situation will get resolved...this is the first year providing live video feeds so they are just getting started. The video is what it is, but I wont complain since I am a tax guy and I cant make it to too many games in person, so I will take what I can get! Good luck to Trinity the rest of the way (except for the next UMHB game later in the season).

108 Stitches

I certainly don't want to complain, as it is nice to get a video feed....of any kind. The announcer was really good and it was clear he knew the game better than most TV network broadcasters. Seriously, I enjoyed listening to him, even when he took the volume down when he messed up the order and we heard a little shxx as the sound was going down, he recovered very nicely. Well done. If you see him tell him there were number or us who enjoyed him. A little polishing and there might be a future for him in New York!!!