BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babe Truth

UWL has to be feeling very good after the season-opening split against a #2 team that already had played six games in the strange Dome environs.
Tim Verthein was strong allowing just 1 ER in the loss, and it was very nearly cut down at the plate.  The Tommies' Dylan Thomas might be the best pitcher the Eagles face this year.
Game 2 starter Joel Effertz looked to be the real deal in his UWL debut with more than just a good fastball, striking out Thomas all 3 times with off speed stuff.  Adam Cordova's bat is already smoking and the top of the order should produce a lot of runs. The defense looks improved though it was on the carpet after all. Transfer Josh Rowles looked good at 3rd, had 2 hits in game 2, missed extra bases down the line by inches and was robbed of a triple or inside the park jog when the centerfielder made a spectacular diving catch running toward the left-centerfield fence.
All in all there was a lot to like before heading to Arizona.

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS went 2-1 in Saint Louis over the weekend.  On Friday they beat Fontbonne 15-2 on a two hitter and 5-1 on a three hitter.  Tom Kerndt went five innings to get the win in game one.  Steve Bartlien had three hits including a pair of home runs.  Michael Gonzalas also homered.  Both Bartlien and Marty Herum had three RBI.  Gonzalas, Sam Keller and Mike Mierow all had a pair.  Matt Roberts struck out eight in five innings to pick up the win in game two.  Herum and Dylan Friend each had a pair of hits.  Gonzalas got another pair of RBI as did Mikole Pierce.  The 4-0 loss came Saturday at the hands of  Illnois Wesleyan.  IWU score all four runs in the fourth inning on 5 singles, a WARHAWKS error and a pair of wild pitches.  Justin Lambert took the loss surrendering 7 hits in 6 innings.  Mierow had a pair of hits.   

The WARHAWKS play in Arburndale and Winter Haven FL. March 21-28.  Opponents include Western New England, Grinnell, Benedictine, MIT and Southern Maine.  Additionally 7 reserve games are scheduled.     
"Just think twice is my only advice."

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS opened their spring trip with a 7-5 win over Western New England.  WNE led with a pair of runs in the top of the first.  The WARHAWKS tied it in the bottom of the inning on RBI singles from Sam Keller and Steve Bartlien.  WNE scored a run in the second and held the lead until the WARHAWKS plated three in the fourth on RBI's from Michael Gonzalez and David Cladis.  The  WARHAWKS added a run in the seventh on a wild pitch and another on Marty Herum's sac fly.  WNE got a pair in the ninth.

Justin Lambert (2-1) went 7.1 innings for the win.  No WARHAWKS had multiple hits but of the eight team hits three were doubles (Gonzalez, Dylan Friend, Mike Mierow) and one was a triple (JT Schneider).

thrunt01

Record wise Oshkosh if off to a great start down in Florida but I will be the first to admit I have no idea how good the teams that they are playing are. Regardless wins are always better than losses.

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS defeated Grinnell 8-5 yesterday.  Dylan Friend's RBI double got the WARHAWKS on the board and Marty Herum's RBI triple gave them a 2-0 lead.  Grinnell scored one in the fourth but the WARHAWKS answered with two runs in the fifth on Sam Keller's RBI single and a fielders choice.  Michael Gonzalez and Jared Fon both had RBI singles in the sixth to make the score 6-1.  A pair of WARHAWKS errors and a wild pitch gave Grinnell a pair of unearned runs in the seventh.  Fon added another RBI with a sac fly in the eighth and Mike Mierow singled in a run in the ninth.  Grinnell answered with an earned and an unearned run in the ninth.

Tom Kerndt (2-1) went 8 innings giving up 6 hits and 3 runs (1 earned) with 3 Ks and 1 BB.  Fon went 3x3 with 2 RBI.  Gonzalez was 4x5 and scored 3 times.   Mikole Pierce tripled.   As a team the WARHAWKS had 6 extra base hits including 4 doubles and a pair of triples.     

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS improved their spring trip record to 3-0 with a 9-4 win over Benedictine.  The WARHAWKS jumped on top 2-0 when Jared Fon hit an RBI double and then scored on a throwing error.  However Benedictine scored single runs in the top of the second, third and fifth innings to go up 3-2.  The WARHAWKS tied the game with an unearned run in the bottom of the fifth and added three more in the seventh when Marty Herum singled and errors by Benedictine resulted in a pair of unearned runs.  The WARHAWKS final three runs came in the bottom of the eighth when Michael Gonzalez doubled home a run, Herum had another RBI single and Mikol Pierce tripled.  Benedictine ended the scoring with a unearned run in the ninth.

Matt Roberts (2-0) picked up the win pitching 8.1 innings surrendering 8 hits, 4 runs (2 earned) with 8 K and 3 BB.  David Cladis was 4x4 and scored twice.  Fon went 3x4.  Gonzalez and Herum each had a pair of hits. 

ShineTime

Point split with st Thomas today lost game 1 9 to 7 and took game 2 3 to 2
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

tomt4525

Quote from: ShineTime on March 23, 2013, 10:42:00 PM
Point split with st Thomas today lost game 1 9 to 7 and took game 2 3 to 2

Looks like St Thomas already has more losses than you predicted for them all season.

cubs

Quote from: thrunt01 on March 23, 2013, 11:00:45 AM
Record wise Oshkosh if off to a great start down in Florida but I will be the first to admit I have no idea how good the teams that they are playing are. Regardless wins are always better than losses.
The best team they played (Johns Hopkins) they lost to 6-5....  Although if not for a infiled pop up that landed between a pair of IF's was caught, they MAY have won and went 12-0 on the trip.

All in all, UWO has to be happy with how they played.  Their offense appears to be better than last season, even with Kamps missing a handful of games.  I think the results of their first week of WIAC games (two at Stevens Point and four vs La Crosse) will tell us more about where this UWO team is (and what kind of depth they have) however. 
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

ShineTime

Anyone have details of point and st Thomas split.  Curious as to who pitched for both teams.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

Brad Storik got the win with 3 innings of relief.
Max Frederick took the loss giving up 5 runs (3 earned) in 2.1 innings.
Coady had a good day going 5x6 with a pair of RBI.

D. Thomas got the win and T Danczek took the loss for St Thomas

The box scores are on Point's website if you want more information.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 11
MIT: 4

The WARHAWKS opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the third when Mikol Pierce singled in a run and Sam Keller doubled in a pair.  MIT got a run back in the fourth but the WARHAWKS answered with two more in the bottom of the inning on doubles from  Michael Gonzalez and Dylan Friend.  MIT got those two back in the top of the sixth however Gonzalez singled in a run and Pierce singled in a pair in the bottom of the inning for the WARHAWKS.  MIT got another run in the top of the seventh.  The WARHAWKS rounded out the scoring with a two run home run from Gonzalez in the seventh and a RBI double from Steve Bartlien in the eighth.

Justin Lambert (3-1) pitched 6 innings giving up 3 runs (earned) on 8 hits while striking out 6 and walking a pair.  Gonzalez and Pierce finished the game with 3 hits apiece with 4 and 3 RBI respectively.  Friend and Jared Fon each had 2 hits and Keller finished with 2 RBI. 

The loss was MIT's first of the season.  The WARHAWKS will conclude their Florida trip with a game against Southern Maine tomorrow before returning home for a doublehitter (weather permitting) against Ripon Saturday.   

thrunt01

Quote from: cubs on March 24, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
The best team they played (Johns Hopkins) they lost to 6-5....  Although if not for a infiled pop up that landed between a pair of IF's was caught, they MAY have won and went 12-0 on the trip.

All in all, UWO has to be happy with how they played.  Their offense appears to be better than last season, even with Kamps missing a handful of games. I think the results of their first week of WIAC games (two at Stevens Point and four vs La Crosse) will tell us more about where this UWO team is (and what kind of depth they have) however.

Unfortunately who knows if/when the heck those games will be played with the snow and all that.  ??? :P

badgerwarhawk

Southern Maine: 7
WARHAWKS: 1

Southern Maine jumped out to a 4-0 lead after two innings and never looked back.  The WARHAWKS got their run in the fourth when Steve Bartlien singled in Jared Fon who had singled to lead off the inning.  After stroking double figure hits with multiple extra base hits in the past few games the WARHAWKS were held to just six hits, all singles, and no one had more than one.  Tom Kerndt (2-1) took the loss going 7 innings giving up 9 hits and all 7 runs (3 earned) with a pair of strikeouts and a single base on balls. 

Already the statistically worst fielding team in the league the WARHAWKSl had 7 errors in this game. 

cubs

Quote from: thrunt01 on March 27, 2013, 08:20:34 PM
Quote from: cubs on March 24, 2013, 06:21:36 PM

All in all, UWO has to be happy with how they played.  Their offense appears to be better than last season, even with Kamps missing a handful of games. I think the results of their first week of WIAC games (two at Stevens Point and four vs La Crosse) will tell us more about where this UWO team is (and what kind of depth they have) however.

Unfortunately who knows if/when the heck those games will be played with the snow and all that.  ??? :P
I'd be willing to bet the the UWO/LAX series is played as scheduled....  Pretty good chance the UWO players are out working on the field shoveling, etc this week before/after practice...
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion