MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidelines

Yan.....I wish the heck I would have known that before my kid went to BV...because if they give the equivalent of full rides...we got screwed.  HAHA   We still had a substantial family contribution, just as we did at Simpson previous to that, and the student loans that have to be paid back are similar also.  Actually, the financial aid packages that BV and Simpson offered at that time were very similar.  I agree that BV gives the kids with the not as high ACT scores a chance to prove themselves, and I can't remember an academic casualty at BV in the time I have been a follower of the basketball program.

snakepit

Yan-  
 I wish Wartburg would have treated there football captains and volleyball captains like they supposedly do the basketball players. I'm paying off 40k in student loans that really could have used a scholarship.

sidelines

Yan....I agree that BV and Wartburg offer more than other IIAC schools, but it has nothing to do with money...I know that for a fact.  It has to do with hiring quality coaches and treating them well so they will stay.  Everyone can have an "excuse" why they aren't on the same level as BV and Wartburg, but it comes down to people.  I know the players at BV would have gone to war with VH any day and he would have done the same for them.  That  means everything in building a consistent  and solid program.  I'm sure the Wartburg people would say the same about Peth.  He's a quality person.  How many other IIAC programs could make the same claim?

Keith Parris

Sidelines,

That is very true, your last post. Since I played at UD, we have had 5 coaches since 1996....no way to build a programm..Hopefully McDermott stays, as he has started a foundation there. In terms of academics, UD had its share of academic failures, but I think the higher tier schools place more emphasis on getting kids eligible, and staying eligible. I know for a fact that some of the kids at UIU (when they won the IIAC) werent the best students (I was in the same juco conference as 3 of them), but they were given the needed help...nothing dirty, just helped more than others. The money thing bothers me, and part of it is because you never know who is really telling the truth ( in terms of what they received). Being from out-of-state, I got a ton of money from UD, but still left there with $20k in loans (up to $70 now with MBA!!) and I know UD wasn't the most expensive schools in the IIAC..and I got a choir scholarship!!! lol, not really

The Crowdpleaser

I love the talk and how everyone believes that BV and Wartburg are just throwing free money around at kids and "paying" them.  Do any of you understand how financial aid works at the D-3 level?  Comparing them to a NAIA school is apples and oranges.  Does anyone know what NAIA stands for?  D-3 schools are angels compared to those guys.

sidelines

I have to agree that BV has the edge over the other IIAC teams because of location.  BV has basically two programs to recruit against in western Iowa...Northwestern and Dordt...and now perhaps Morningside.  If you look at the players BV has had the past few years of their run, most are from western Iowa.  Smith, Stribe, Jones, Peterson, Weber, Wiebers, Pelzer, Bissen, Campbell, Kies, Wittry and many others.  The trend is not going to change either with this year's recruits.  Like navy and gold said, BV is also expanding into Omaha and Kansas City to get some top players.  It's not about money..it's about location and quality programs..and this is my last post on this subject.

navy&gold

I would add Briar Cliff to that list also with the new head coach Todd Barry.

navy&gold

BV has also lost some key recruits in the past to Iowa Central because of money.

sidelines

BV's recruiting class is announced and analyzed on IowaPreps.com.   I'll post the comments of each of the players here.  The analysis is from the article:

Brian Fogelman - Manning - 6-foot-6
College Position: Power Forward
After helping his team to two consecutive final four finishes in Class 1A, Fogelman decided to turn down opportunities to play major college football to continue his basketball career in Storm Lake. This senior is a load to stop both inside and outside and continues to get better. Fogelman had recruiting narrowed down to the Beavers, Briar Cliff, and Dana.

Teddy Hawley - Ar-We-Va - 5-foot-11
College Position: Point Guard
Over the past few years, Hawley has proven to be one of the most effective scorers in the State. He put up some major numbers this year as he helped his team to an undefeated regular season. Hawley was a major recruiter and may have helped Buena Vista land Fogelman in this recruiting class.

Jonathan Millea - Davenport Assumption - 6-foot-7
College Position: Wing Forward
How far is Davenport from Storm Lake? After going to Mapquest, I realized the drive is 301 miles. The Buena Vista coaches saw Millea standout during the summer and liked his size and skills on the perimeter. They continued recruiting him until he decided to extend his basketball career at the college level in Storm Lake. He had it narrowed down to Wartburg and Buena Vista before making his decision.  

Casey Morgan - Storm Lake - 6-foot-7
College Position: Center
Rarely does the Iowa Conference produce talented centers but Morgan has a chance to be one of the best in recent memory. At the high school level, this senior was a man among boys and just physically dominated opponents. Morgan still has some things to work on but will be a load to stop in the IIAC.

Ryan Sones - Laurens-Marathon - 6-foot-10
College Position: Center
Although Sones is the only player on this list that I have not seen play, I have heard a lot of impressive reviews. This third team All Stater is 6-foot-10 and a thick 260 pounds. Sones finishes well around the hoop and is considered not your average Division III player at that size.

The Show

And I thought last year's recruiting class was good...

Looks like VH has found another way to reload after losing a great class to graduation.

navy&gold

You can add these to BV's class..

Travis Person, Tipton, 6'6" 220lbs
  Spent last season as a redshirt at D2 Augustana, will probably play the 3 or 4. I believe was narrowed down to Wartburg and BV until Auggie offered, still has all 4 years left

Andre Waugner, Omaha, 5'8"
  Will obviously play the point, was narrowed down to Wartburg and BV

Matt Cleveland, Sioux City, 6'7"
  Will play the 4 or 5, sounds like he could be a suprise guy

sportsknight

Mark your calendars now!  Wartburg will play an exhibition game at Iowa on November 9.  Knights become fifth IIAC team in 4 seasons to play a D1 opponent and it will be Wartburg's second game vs. a D1 since 2001.
"Graduating from college in four years is like leaving a party at 10:30." - Chuck Klosterman

Peter Duggan McGee

First, VH told a former teammate of mine once that the conference championship wasn't won with freshman, so with that said, I guess first year recruits don't have an impact according to the Beavers. (barring the possibility of a wiebers or weber which they don't have)

Second, Contrary to popular belief, BV got none of Wartburg's top recruits either.  That is so far from the truth that it is ridiculous.  

Third, BV will still be a good team cause they are always coached well, but who they get for recruits doesn't matter the first year but rather in 2 or three years.  

Lastly, As far as Wartburg goes, their experience and chemistry will be second to none and i think the only team who will challenge them will be BV, but they will only challenge them.  Wartburg will be too much.

Lance Harbor

Storm Lake, Ar-We-Va, Carrol, Kuemper, Harlan, Sioux City, Manning, Laurens-Marathon.

BV is like a "who's-who" of Western Iowa basketball.  I've always been impressed with the names they've brought in.