MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantastic50

North Central, then at Hanover if they win, and potentially vs Wash. U. or Hope (likely in Whitewater) if they advance. That's a favorable draw, compared to other possibilities.

ScotsFan

Quote from: fantastic50 on February 27, 2017, 01:25:36 PM
North Central, then at Hanover if they win, and potentially vs Wash. U. or Hope (likely in Whitewater) if they advance. That's a favorable draw, compared to other possibilities.

I'll take that over going to 'Etta! 

BigRedFan

Can someone tell me how many at large bids that are?
I am having a real hard time trying to figure how Denison is not in....

They are ranked all season....last week at #14!!

And they take seven teams at 17-10!!!!

Are they ALL conference winners?????????

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: BigRedFan on February 27, 2017, 02:16:09 PM

Denison's strength of schedule was their undoing. It wasn't just bad, it was really bad.

Gregory Sager

There are 21 Pool C bids.

Quote from: BigRedFan on February 27, 2017, 02:16:09 PMI am having a real hard time trying to figure how Denison is not in....

Completely irrelevant. The d3hoops.com poll has no bearing whatsoever upon the NCAA's selection process.

Quote from: BigRedFan on February 27, 2017, 02:16:09 PMAnd they take seven teams at 17-10!!!!

No, but Fifth and Putnam's told you everything you need to know about why Denison wasn't selected for a Pool C berth.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

realist

Calvin is 17-10, and won the MIAA tournament, and the AQ.  That is why they play the games.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

BigRedFan

Thanks soooooooooo much for the reasons....

So why does Denison rank as high as 9th if we play nothing but
crap teams?  The ranking is only based on record alone?

So of those 21 at large bids they ALL played tougher schedules?

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: BigRedFan on February 27, 2017, 02:33:58 PM

The D3hoops poll is a collection of 25 voters (media, SID, ect.) from across the country. While it's a fun discussion starter, it does not have any bearing on selecting teams for the NCAA Tournament. Denison had a nice lofty ranking a few weeks back but there was a lot of discussion that when looking at their criteria numbers, they really needed to win the automatic bid because it's nearly impossible to get an at-large with a sub .500 SOS. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I tend to remember Denison being around .450 or .460..significantly lower than .500 and that showed up when they got buried in the regional rankings a bit despite their W-L record.

To your second question, yes all 21 at large bids had a better SOS than Denison.

WooClone15

Quote from: woolax on February 27, 2017, 01:02:15 PM
Wooster takes on North Central (IL) in a pod that includes Westminister and Hanover as host. Thoughts?
I don't know too much about Illinois Central, but all I know is I wish they had been the hosts. I'm in Madison, Wisconsin now, so I could have gone watch Wooster play if that was the case.

Yeah, the ranking probably is based a lot on record. It's a different division, but look at D-I. Do you really think that Gonzaga would be number 1 and only have one loss if they were playing in the big 10 or big 12?

And they might have all played tougher schedules, that's for the selection committee and the people who know a lot more then I do to decide, but in all the discussion on here, it looks like Denison has pretty much never been in play (or at least not recently). And considering how numbers-based the selection seems to be, I think all those teams probably had better numbers

smedindy

Also, remember what the NCAA calls SOS isn't really a "Strength of Schedule" - they have criteria that's based around OWP and OOWP.

What killed Denison was Washington & Jefferson, Case Western, Brooklyn, Mt. St. Vincent, and Otterbein all having horrible records. That's the breaks; had maybe 2-3 of those teams got to .500, then we may have a different story.

ScotsFan

Go read thru the 'Great Lakes Region' thread and you might get a better understanding as to why Denison was left out.

hotdawg

Tough time to be a team in the Great Lakes Region ... only 1 at large bid for the whole 60 team region.

goscots

Quote from: hotdawg on February 27, 2017, 03:29:04 PM
Tough time to be a team in the Great Lakes Region ... only 1 at large bid for the whole 60 team region.

....and had Hope won their tournament it might have been zero unless that next spot was going to go to OWU.

sac

Quote from: goscots on February 27, 2017, 04:13:32 PM

....and had Hope won their tournament it might have been zero unless that next spot was going to go to OWU.

We got 4 last year so time might be relative.

hotdawg

Quote from: sac on February 27, 2017, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: goscots on February 27, 2017, 04:13:32 PM

We got 4 last year so time might be relative.

Tough Time Year*