MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 27, 2018, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 02:20:31 PM
Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 27, 2018, 02:15:25 PM
Wooster-Illinois Wesleyan at 5:30 p.m
John Carroll-Thomas More at 7:30 p.m. (or 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game).

Interestingly enough, John Carroll will not have advanced ticket sales but the other three schools will have advanced ticket sales.  From the JCUsports.com website: "John Carroll will sell tickets the day of the game beginning at 4:00 p.m." So, Wooster will fill the gym for the first game and JCU fans will struggle to find seats for the second game - great home court advantage!! ::)

Championship is Saturday at 7:00 p.m.

Not quite... each school is allotted a certain amount of tickets. Wooster will get X amount, JCU will actually probably get close to twice that amount since they are the home team. Wooster won't be able to take tickets JCU has allotted and thus keep JCU fans from getting into the game.

The only restriction is that JCU won't be able to sell all of the tickets for just their fans.. but Wooster or any other team won't be able to sell out the building.

Also - each school's fans will have a specific section to sit in as well. They can't just sit anywhere usually.

So, let me make sure I am clear . . . each of the other three schools gets about 17% of the tickets and JCU gets 50% of the tickets.  Then they take that 17% of the tickets and have an assigned area for each school.  So, if JCU chooses, they can keep the first game attendance to just 1/3 of the gym's capacity and not sell any more tickets?  How will they know where someone is from?  I would think the logistics of keeping Wooster people from buying tickets would be nearly impossible.

To some degree you have it. I am not sure if the percentages are right. I honestly don't know the specifics on percentages, though I have been under the impression the home team gets a few more seats. But it could be 40-20-20-20 for what I know.

As for Wooster buying more tickets... basically as I understand it, Wooster fans buy from their school. THe only way they can buy more is from general sale tickets (i.e. the tickets each school didn't purchase and returned) at walk-up time. That still won't allow them from purchasing JCU's tickets unless JCU decides to release their unsold tickets for general sale.

As for sitting... there are signs posted as to where fans are to sit. I have been to many an event at many a location (including JCU on several occasions) where fans who clearly weren't in that group were asked to move ... or chose to since they were surrounded by another fan group.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ScotsFan

I would think the logistics of keeping Wooster people from buying tickets would be nearly impossible.

Unless JCU sells out their allotment, is there is nothing to keep Wooster fans from showing up and purchasing tickets at the gate on game-day? 

Wooster fans travel very well and I would expect a large contingent of Wooster fans there on Friday considering many COW alums are already in the Cleveland area and it's also an easy trek from Wooster.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ScotsFan on February 27, 2018, 03:01:05 PM
I would think the logistics of keeping Wooster people from buying tickets would be nearly impossible.

Unless JCU sells out their allotment, is there is nothing to keep Wooster fans from showing up and purchasing tickets at the gate on game-day? 

Wooster fans travel very well and I would expect a large contingent of Wooster fans there on Friday considering many COW alums are already in the Cleveland area and it's also an easy trek from Wooster.

If there are tickets available. If each school sells it allotment out... there wouldn't be any tickets available. Have the rules coming in another post.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ticket Distribution (Preliminary-Round Sites Only).
In addition, the committee recommends that hosts refrain from selling tickets until after the mandatory conference call for hosts the Monday prior to the start of each round of competition.

Four-Team Sites.
   a. During first round, the host will receive 50% of the facility seating capacity and the remaing 50% shall be divided equally amongst the other three teams. During second round, the home team will receive two-thirds (2/3) of the facility seating capacity. The visiting institution is guaranteed a minimum of one-third (1/3) of the facility seating capacity.
   b. Each section should have its own clearly identifiable tickets (separate color than home supporter or walk-up tickets) in suitable locations. Seating locations for the competing teams should be equally distributed by number and location.
   c. The visiting institution must notify the host institution in writing (via e-mail) of any of its ticket allotment it has not sold by the following dates/times:
      • First/Second-round Friday contests: Thursday, noon local time of the host;
      • First/Second-round Saturday contests: Friday, noon local time of the host;
      • Sectional-round Friday contests: Thursday, noon local time of the host;
      • Sectional-round Saturday contests: Friday, noon local time of the host.

NOTE: If the host is not notified by the visiting team by the prescribed times, the visiting team shall be financially accountable for its total ticket allotment. Experience has proven that it is best not to allow students of the host team immediately behind an opponent's bench. Hosts shall provide a buffer zone between such students and the opponent, either with adults or fans of the visiting team.

The host institution shall make available to each winning teams their ticket allotment after the completion of each institution's contest. Winning teams may distribute their tickets or allow the host institution to distribute the tickets. If the host is to distribute the tickets, they may set the distribution schedule.

All Session, Single Session Sales.
Tickets shall be for all sessions for a single day, unless the men's basketball committee approves a plan for split session tickets.

Seating. A special seating section shall be reserved for members of the competing teams when they are not playing. The location of all team tickets and seating for bands and cheerleaders must be approved by the committee representative. Seating for media representatives must be designated and away from the scorer's table.

In order to avoid potential conflicts, the men's basketball committee recommends that hosts designate distinct seating sections within the playing facility for the following groups: a) home supporters; b) visiting supporters and c) walk-up general admission.

Home Supporters Section.
• Shall not be behind the visiting team bench.
• Should be available to advance ticket customers.
• Should have a distinct ticket (different from visitor supporters and walk-up sections) for admittance.
• Can be reserved seating or general admission seating within the section.

Visiting Supporters Section(s).
• Should be directly behind the visiting team bench(es).
• Should have a distinct ticket (different from that for home supporters and walk-up sections) for admittance.
• Can be reserved seating or general admission seating within the section.

Walk-up General Admission Section.
• Should have a distinct ticket (different from home/visitor supporters sections).
• Should be available to supporters from all institutions.
• Should have visible security personnel in the area.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 02:20:31 PM
Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 27, 2018, 02:15:25 PM
Wooster-Illinois Wesleyan at 5:30 p.m
John Carroll-Thomas More at 7:30 p.m. (or 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game).

Interestingly enough, John Carroll will not have advanced ticket sales but the other three schools will have advanced ticket sales.  From the JCUsports.com website: "John Carroll will sell tickets the day of the game beginning at 4:00 p.m." So, Wooster will fill the gym for the first game and JCU fans will struggle to find seats for the second game - great home court advantage!! ::)

Championship is Saturday at 7:00 p.m.

Not quite... each school is allotted a certain amount of tickets. Wooster will get X amount, JCU will actually probably get close to twice that amount since they are the home team. Wooster won't be able to take tickets JCU has allotted and thus keep JCU fans from getting into the game.

The only restriction is that JCU won't be able to sell all of the tickets for just their fans.. but Wooster or any other team won't be able to sell out the building.

Also - each school's fans will have a specific section to sit in as well. They can't just sit anywhere usually.

So, let me make sure I am clear . . . each of the other three schools gets about 17% of the tickets and JCU gets 50% of the tickets.  Then they take that 17% of the tickets and have an assigned area for each school.  So, if JCU chooses, they can keep the first game attendance to just 1/3 of the gym's capacity and not sell any more tickets?  How will they know where someone is from?  I would think the logistics of keeping Wooster people from buying tickets would be nearly impossible.

To some degree you have it. I am not sure if the percentages are right. I honestly don't know the specifics on percentages, though I have been under the impression the home team gets a few more seats. But it could be 40-20-20-20 for what I know.

As for Wooster buying more tickets... basically as I understand it, Wooster fans buy from their school. THe only way they can buy more is from general sale tickets (i.e. the tickets each school didn't purchase and returned) at walk-up time. That still won't allow them from purchasing JCU's tickets unless JCU decides to release their unsold tickets for general sale.

As for sitting... there are signs posted as to where fans are to sit. I have been to many an event at many a location (including JCU on several occasions) where fans who clearly weren't in that group were asked to move ... or chose to since they were surrounded by another fan group.

Thanks, Dave.  Unfortunately, on its website, JCU is indicating that they are not selling pre-sale tickets to their people.  Everything will be on sale at 4:00 on the day of the game.  In short, John Carroll's entire allotment will be part of the "general sales tickets." Maybe they are taking care of parents and season ticketholders ahead of time but no pre-sale for the public.  I do not think, with that plan in place, they can control who buys the tickets.

The only upside I can think of is that they plan to release a number of tickets after the first game when some of the fans of Woo and IWU clear out.  So instead of selling 1600 seats ahead of time, they will sell 1800-2000 seats to account for the additional capacity once the (I assume many) Wooster fans and handful of IWU fans clear out.  Just speculation on my part - I have no idea.  I just do not understand not selling pre-sale tickets but they must have a good reason/rationale.

Should be a fun atmosphere, regardless.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I suspect JCU has a plan in place. Lot of times you need a student ID or proof of JCU ties... but you are welcome to ask them, honestly.

I don't know how Spring Break plays a roll (did the two times I've been at JCU), but that could have been a reason for their decisions as well.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: ScotsFan on February 27, 2018, 03:01:05 PM

JCU will not sell out their allotment because it appears they are not selling tickets at all. Wooster should be able to pack the place unless JCU starts discriminating against Wayne County residents and people wearing black and gold.  :D

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 03:22:33 PM
I suspect JCU has a plan in place. Lot of times you need a student ID or proof of JCU ties... but you are welcome to ask them, honestly.

I don't know how Spring Break plays a roll (did the two times I've been at JCU), but that could have been a reason for their decisions as well.

Maybe I will call up and see what I can find out.  I am afraid I do not have anything to prove my ties to JCU.  I assume I could bring my diploma but that seems cumbersome. ;D

UPDATE:  JCU is not answering the phone.  Wooster told me they are not selling pre-sale (I assume they will dispatch of their 250 by taking care of parents and some of their season ticket holders without public sale).  TMC and IWU have no ticket information on their websites yet and I did not call.

As for Spring Break, it starts Friday.

ScotsFan

My guess for Wooster would be they will easily use up their allotment on parents and also for their Downtown Rebounders Club which is basically their Boosters. 

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: ScotsFan on February 27, 2018, 05:31:35 PM
My guess for Wooster would be they will easily use up their allotment on parents and also for their Downtown Rebounders Club which is basically their Boosters.

That sounds right — take care of those groups and no one can complain. But 250 isn't enough, I assume, to take care of all their season ticket holders. Every time I've been to Timken Gymnasium, it appeared to be well attended with regulars.

bufordscot

Wooster's website says nothing about pre-game day ticket sales.  Only that tickets go on sale at JCU at 4 on Friday. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

A lot of teams just hold tickets for players and staff, maybe students if they're doing a bus/ticket/hotel deal, but often just give most of the allotment back for general distribution.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ScotsFan

The last time I traveled for a tournament game was back in the '08-'09 season when Wooster played at Cap.  We went to both nights and purchased tickets at the Cap gate.  I do remember for the Wooster-Cap game in the 2nd round it seemed close to capacity but the crowd was nearly a 50-50 split for Wooster and Cap fans.

iwumichigander

Quote from: bufordscot on February 28, 2018, 03:30:10 PM
Wooster's website says nothing about pre-game day ticket sales.  Only that tickets go on sale at JCU at 4 on Friday.
The info I got today was tickets will be sold at the door starting at 4:00 pm.  No tickets sold at the schools.  The consensus among the schools was selling tickets in this manor would cause no problems.

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: iwumichigander on February 28, 2018, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: bufordscot on February 28, 2018, 03:30:10 PM
The info I got today was tickets will be sold at the door starting at 4:00 pm.  No tickets sold at the schools.  The consensus among the schools was selling tickets in this manor would cause no problems.

???