SagatagSam

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

art76

Quote from: RoyalsFan on October 22, 2014, 10:09:06 PM
Quote from: Reverend MIAC on October 22, 2014, 06:03:02 PM
So correct me if this is wrong. If UST wins out the rest of the season and SJU loses another conference game, UST is the lone MIAC champion.

Ok, I will correct you. It is a possibility, but BU would also have to lose another game other than to St. Thomas. If BU's only conference loss is to St. Thomas, SJU loses another conference game and UST wins out then BU and UST would be co-champs, but UST would get the MIAC playoff berth based on head-to-head tie breaker.

The "what ifs" are seemingly endless - and I do not have them all spelled out. But I am in agreement with others here on this board that it is too early to start picking the MIAC champion with so many variables, (I did say near endless didn't I?) between now and the end of the season.  FWIW - it made my head hurt too.  :)
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

art76

In yesterday's South Washington Bulletin weekly newspaper I saw that the East Ridge football quarterback, who is only a junior, signed a letter of intent with the Oregon Ducks. Being somewhat naive about such things, I'm asking folks here if they know whether or not this is allowed/legal? It has been my understanding that signing days are for seniors after the regular season is complete. Has that changed in MN? And if it has, when was the change made? Or has it been a historical nuance only rarely exercised? Inquiring minds (well, at least mine) want to know.

sjusection105

So correct me if this is wrong. If UST wins out the rest of the season and SJU loses another conference game, UST is the lone MIAC champion.
As was noted by others UST has to play & beat BU,CCM & GAC before worrying about the MIAC championship & post-season games.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

AO

Quote from: art76 on October 23, 2014, 07:33:58 AM
In yesterday's South Washington Bulletin weekly newspaper I saw that the East Ridge football quarterback, who is only a junior, signed a letter of intent with the Oregon Ducks. Being somewhat naive about such things, I'm asking folks here if they know whether or not this is allowed/legal? It has been my understanding that signing days are for seniors after the regular season is complete. Has that changed in MN? And if it has, when was the change made? Or has it been a historical nuance only rarely exercised? Inquiring minds (well, at least mine) want to know.
If you're talking about this article it doesn't say he signed anything. 

In relevant news, I didn't see it mentioned here that our d3boards selection expert picked 3 MIAC teams to make the playoffs in his projections the other day.  So let's just forget about the various scenarios for the MIAC title.  The best thing for all teams (besides the Tommies) is to just cancel the rest of the regular season.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjusection105 on October 23, 2014, 07:46:55 AM

As was noted by others UST has to play & beat BU,CCM & GAC before worrying about the MIAC championship & post-season games.

Or as I sometimes put it: If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
[  

art76

Quote from: AO on October 23, 2014, 08:30:25 AM

Yes, that's the article I was talking about - so committing is not the same as signing a letter of intent.  Ok, I can accept that. But what's really going on? Is it "acceptable" for D1 schools to get this kind of verbal intent from high school players? Or is it simply a matter of winks and nods because "everyone is doing it"? My concern as a parent is that children are making choices without understanding the complete consequences of those actions. Do we as a culture allow our children to be preyed upon in this manner? I recognise that I may be stirring the pot a bit but I really, really don't like to see people getting taken advantage of - at whatever stage in life they are in. That's the main reason I brought it up. I'll get off my soapbox now.

SagatagSam

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 23, 2014, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: sjusection105 on October 23, 2014, 07:46:55 AM

Or as I sometimes put it: If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Isn't there still a formula under which St. Olaf goes undefeated the rest of the year, SJU, UST, BU and CCM lose every game, Ebola strikes and the the Oles get the pool C bid?
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

retagent

I've heard of quite a number of HS players who "committed" to one school, and later signed a letter of intent to attend another college, and then changed their mind yet again. Not sure how binding these things are legally. Bueller? Bueller, anyone, anyone?

AO

Quote from: art76 on October 23, 2014, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: AO on October 23, 2014, 08:30:25 AM

Yes, that's the article I was talking about - so committing is not the same as signing a letter of intent.  Ok, I can accept that. But what's really going on? Is it "acceptable" for D1 schools to get this kind of verbal intent from high school players? Or is it simply a matter of winks and nods because "everyone is doing it"? My concern as a parent is that children are making choices without understanding the complete consequences of those actions. Do we as a culture allow our children to be preyed upon in this manner? I recognise that I may be stirring the pot a bit but I really, really don't like to see people getting taken advantage of - at whatever stage in life they are in. That's the main reason I brought it up. I'll get off my soapbox now.
You can get verbal commitments from 8th graders.  It's not legally binding on either side.  I saw a stat the the other day that about 15% of the top 300 recruits will flip their "verbal commitment" before signing day.  Even after they sign, colleges can get pressured to release the player from the signed letter of intent.  I'd hardly consider Seth Green to be a child who is preyed upon.  We probably need to be giving 16-17 year olds more responsibility, not less. 

OzJohnnie

Quote from: AO on October 23, 2014, 10:02:05 AM
I saw a stat the the other day that about 15% of the top 300 recruits will flip their "verbal commitment" before signing day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2Duy_xzEA
[  

AO

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 23, 2014, 10:06:03 AM
Quote from: AO on October 23, 2014, 10:02:05 AM
I saw a stat the the other day that about 15% of the top 300 recruits will flip their "verbal commitment" before signing day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2Duy_xzEA
you're really taking advantage of the time zone switch here.  We'd usually have to wait until late afternoon to get the snappy comebacks.  8-)

Mr.MIAC

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Reverend MIAC on October 23, 2014, 12:34:37 PM
Interesting story. So how much of this do we think is going on at the DIII level?

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

None in the MIAC, except for... Well, let's just say I have it on good authority that a prime topic of debate in the shiny locker rooms of one institution is whether there are one or two 'n's in Snelling.
[  

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 23, 2014, 02:09:47 PM
Quote from: Reverend MIAC on October 23, 2014, 12:34:37 PM
Interesting story. So how much of this do we think is going on at the DIII level?

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

None in the MIAC, except for... Well, let's just say I have it on good authority that a prime topic of debate in the shiny locker rooms of one institution is whether there are one or two 'n's in Snelling.

I thought you guys were still struggling to raise the money for shiny new locker rooms...

Link: http://www.csbsju.edu/forward/college-of-arts-and-sciences/place/athletics-facilities