FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBerg40

Quote from: HScoach on May 19, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
Forget all this talk about statues and stadium names, the perfect way to honor LK is bring home #12 this December.

Sorry, not going to happen this year! ;)

PurpleSuit

Quote from: Raider 68 on May 21, 2013, 02:25:47 PM
Quote from: PurpleSuit on May 21, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on May 20, 2013, 11:04:41 AM
Didn't Mount Union name it "Larry Kehres Field" at Mount Union Stadium a few years ago?

I bet you wont see LK Stadium anytime soon,  I'm betting on LK Field at Mount Union Stadium with an LK statue outside.  Can't shut off any potential sponsership rights for stadium rights.  Plus it's been Mount Union Stadium for 100+ years, not gonna change unless a big donor changes it

PurpleSuit,

Actually, the name Mount Union Stadium is not that new in terms of the name. The name was Hartshorn Stadium up until 15-20 years ago. :)

Then change away.  LK Stadium works for me. 

These 'Berg people are funny.  Their best player is going to be in our backfield running all over their defense.  Hopefully the OAC gets two playoff teams again.

PurpleSuit

Chris Denton waived by the Bucs, hope he catches on with another team

HScoach

Quote from: PurpleSuit on May 22, 2013, 03:32:21 PM
Didn't Mount Union name it "Larry Kehres Field" at Mount Union Stadium a few years ago?

I bet you wont see LK Stadium anytime soon,  I'm betting on LK Field at Mount Union Stadium with an LK statue outside.  Can't shut off any potential sponsership rights for stadium rights.  Plus it's been Mount Union Stadium for 100+ years, not gonna change unless a big donor changes it

PurpleSuit,

Actually, the name Mount Union Stadium is not that new in terms of the name. The name was Hartshorn Stadium up until 15-20 years ago. :)

These 'Berg people are funny.  Their best player is going to be in our backfield running all over their defense.  Hopefully the OAC gets two playoff teams again.

Hopefully Berg has learned their lesson from '12 and remembers to play the 2nd have too.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: PurpleSuit on May 22, 2013, 03:32:21 PM

PurpleSuit,

This was probably Heidelberg way to sabotage Mount Union this upcoming season, I am calling it right now, two fumbles from the new addition.

purpled

We'll have to wait til LK retires as AD before a statue or stadium is named after him...as the AD he probably would not let either happen. :)
"You know you're in trouble when...you see the refs tailgating with your opponent's fans." - Paul Fischer

D3MAFAN

Quote from: purpled on May 25, 2013, 07:38:25 PM
We'll have to wait til LK retires as AD before a statue or stadium is named after him...as the AD he probably would not let either happen. :)

I don't know, look at Alabama and the Nick Saban Statue.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: D3MAFAN on May 27, 2013, 04:57:48 PM

Won't happen while LK is still AD.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

RoyalPurple

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on May 27, 2013, 08:23:03 PM
Quote from: D3MAFAN on May 27, 2013, 04:57:48 PM

Won't happen while LK is still AD.
If Larry has his way, there are still upgrades before the stadium will ever bear his name. While we wait can we name the Fieldhouse after Coach Wuske, the amazing Track and Cross Country coach of the 60's and 70's that first put Mount Union on the national stage

raiderpa

It is already named the Peterson Fieldhouse, I believe, after the man who gave the $$ to build it, Don Peterson.

Craft_Beermeister

With Vince taking over the recruiting path to Florida for Mount Union appears to be still active with two recruits from the Daytona area  Flagler Palm Coast linebacker Kyre Smith and Smyrna Beach wide receiver Dexter Dixon announcing recently that they are headed to Alliance. 

Kyre Smith had 52 tackles with 11 for loss  and two sacks last season.  His highlight taps look impressive http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1413240/highlights/29195444

I also found it intriguing that Krye indicated that "My real true dream is to be the 1st person in my family to go to a good college, and play football, and someday hopefully make it to the big leagues where I can not only provide for my family" in an article posed on Kyre Smith's Page on SoSportz.com  http://members.sosportz.com/profile/KyreSmith

http://therecruitingtrail.blogs.news-journalonline.com/10056/flagler-palm-coasts-kyre-smith-heading-to-mount-union/?tc=ar

=============================================================================================

Dexter's numbers for his senior year appear to have been possibly impacted by an knee injury he had late in his junior year, but he played in an impressive vertical passing offense in high school with his quarterback Marcus Johnson passing for just shy of 2,000 yards last season and 18 touchdowns recently landing an offer from the Air Force Academy and fellow wide receiver  James Clark a 4 star recruit headed to Ohio State.

http://www.gridironstuds.com/detail.php?ret=1&id=2935

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20130518/SPORTS/130519690

short

Let's get some chatting going here.  How do others think the OAC will play out this year?  Lots of new blood in the the legue this season!  Here is how I see things now.

1) Mount Union (clear cut #1)
2) BW (could flip with Heidelberg)
3) Heidelberg (could flip with BW)
4) JCU
5) Otterbein
6) ONU
7) Capital
8) Musky
9) Wilmington
10) MC

Raider 68

Quote from: short on June 05, 2013, 12:22:44 AM
Let's get some chatting going here.  How do others think the OAC will play out this year?  Lots of new blood in the the legue this season!  Here is how I see things now.

1) Mount Union (clear cut #1)
2) BW (could flip with Heidelberg)
3) Heidelberg (could flip with BW)
4) JCU
5) Otterbein
6) ONU
7) Capital
8) Musky
9) Wilmington
10) MC

short,

Your assessment is pretty realistic. Heidelberg brings several starters back, but I am not sure how many B-W returns, so the 'berg is a strong #2 heading into the fall. JCU will score some points, but can they improve their defense in '13? :-\
13 time Division III National Champions

skunks_sidekick

Hello OAC Gang!

Just checking in to see how my "internet friends" are doing.   ;D

Jr. has been getting letters for football from OAC schools (Heidi, JCU, Mount), and a few random contacts from out of the blue.  Thiel, Illinois State, and then........does anyone know what "sprint football" is?  He received an email from Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire, who is interested in him potentially playing for their sprint football team.  Evidently, it's a league that only allows players who weigh 172 lbs. or less.  The league consists of 10 or so eastern based teams, and includes a fair amount of Ivy League schools. 

Learn something new every day........ ;)

Stay classy my OAC buddies......have a great summer!

formerd3db

skunks:

Like you, I was not aware that some of the colleges/universities had these "sprint" collegiate football teams as I only recently found out about that existence.  If you go to Harvard's athletic website, they have a section that deals with that team - full website with rosters, schedules, coaching staff bios, etc., as do the other Ivy schools that have "sprint" programs.

This can probably be compared to the other club collegiate type athletic programs that many colleges and universities have, such as the Men's Collegiate Hockey Association and the Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association, in which colleges and universities have teams in these in addition to their varsity teams.  For example, Adrian College in our MIAA has 4 hockey teams - men's and women's NCAA Div. III varsity teams and two men's club-collegiate teams.  All 4 play in the college owned on-campus ice arena which has a capacity of 800 permanent style seats and all teams play to +capacity crowds.

Regarding other football programs similar to the "sprint" programs you mention, several others here in the mid-west have those- such as Univ of Michigan-Flint, Marquette University (yes, the "big-time" university), New Orleans University and others -even Ohio State has a club-collegiate team.  Some of these schools have established these teams for football because they are trying to re-institute their actual college football programs that were dropped several years ago (while others again simply offer additional students the opportunity to play at the collegiate level).  These teams play in sanctioned leagues and the national organizations for both hockey and football and those are patterned just like the NCAA with regards to eligibility rules, GPA requirements, etc., etc. and have their own national championships and, of course, as you have mentioned, they do recruit regularly as well.

Again, some have been "stepping-stones" as to the sport becoming varsity-status, for example the MIAA schools for lacrosse and even
DI Univ of Michigan which became an NCAA full-varsity sport after competing in the club-collegiate league for many years.  Overall, although these are club-collegiate teams, this is college level competition, albeit obviously in many situations not quite up to the level of the regular varsity teams at the NCAA, NAIA levels, although certainly there are a few that are i.e. can compete with the regular teams.

At any rate, thanks for sharing that.  Also, best wishes to your son as he (and you) go through the recruiting process.  Keep us posted as to his eventual decision.  Have a great summer - of course, the football season will be here very soon with pre-season practices starting in about 2 months or slightly less.   
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice