MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Not a lot of SLIAC teams on those JV schedules, but I believe most SLIAC programs have a JV team including MacMurray which is close enough to the Quad Cities: https://mchighlanders.com/schedule.aspx?path=jvmb

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 16, 2019, 01:21:54 PM
To be fair, Smitty's an outsider to the CCIW ... and JV info is scant on the respective CCIW men's basketball webpages. I'm not sure how much info he could've gleaned on his own.

Oh, I know.  I was just amused that this was as overt of a Ypsi as you'll see since he more or less led with 'I could look this up but am going to ask you all to do the legwork for me'...

Gregory Sager

I just want Chuck to keep that special place in our hearts as the Laziest Fan in the Universe. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

I think his status is safe.  Chuck is the Jefferson Airplane of the Ypsi universe; The rest of us are more akin to Starship.

Gregory Sager

He'll appreciate that reference from his own collegiate era.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 16, 2019, 05:45:55 PM
I just want Chuck to keep that special place in our hearts as the Laziest Fan in the Universe. ;)

Quote from: kiko on May 16, 2019, 08:15:37 PM
I think his status is safe. Chuck is the Jefferson Airplane of the Ypsi universe; The rest of us are more akin to Starship.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 16, 2019, 08:59:43 PM
He'll appreciate that reference from his own collegiate era.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
🤯 🤭 😊

79jaybird

On the condolences front-  Coach Bill Mack passed away.  Bill was a good man and well liked.

Congrats to Stew.  Once you got to know Stew he was a fun man to pal around with.  He LOVED his Titans and a great patriot for the Green Machine.  From visiting radio, I agree with Greg, that he was very accommodating and helpful.  Enjoy retirement.

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

79jaybird

Area high school football has lost an icon.

Former Crystal Lake Central coach Bill Mack died Saturday night with many of his family members present at Sunrise of Crystal Lake, an assisted living facility. Mack had been battling dementia and Parkinson's disease. He was 82.

Mack was 122-57 in 20 seasons at Central and was inducted into the Illinois High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame. He became almost as well known later in life as a mentor to high school coaches, particularly with his expertise in triple-option football.

"As far as my career goes, he changed the direction of everything," said Prairie Ridge coach Chris Schremp, who is 142-53 in 17 seasons with three Class 6A state championships. "He taught me the option offense. That was the turning point of the Prairie Ridge program. I would go to Bill's house twice a week and sit at his kitchen table from 3 to 6 p.m. He went through everything so meticulously. I'd leave his house with a headache, but that's the way Coach was."

Mack is survived by his wife, Cheryl; two sons, Bill Jr. and Andy; and a daughter, Beth; along with their families. Mack was selected as recipient of the Northwest Herald Lifetime Achievement Award in 2017.

"It's amazing," Bill Mack Jr. said. "Everybody I talked to, ex-assistant coaches, ex-players, they all said the same thing. He was a very inspirational and motivational human being. He really got to know his players. I had somebody ask me this week how he was doing, and this guy didn't even play football for him. But Dad would stop and talk to him and helped him in other ways.

"He's blessed now he doesn't have to deal with that stuff. He wasn't [like] 'The Coach' anymore."

After coaching at Central, Mack coached several years at the college level. That was where he eventually became an expert on the option.

Mack mentored former Cary-Grove coach Bruce Kay, current C-G coach Brad Seaburg, along with Schremp and many others. Former Richmond-Burton coach J. Randy Hofman was a close friend and worked on Mack's staff at North Central College in Naperville.

"He was a tremendous influence on many of the things we did as far as the program and football strategy," Kay said. "He was just a great friend. He is such a smart person and had the ability to explain things in a simple way you could understand. He was a great teacher."

Kay said he and Mike Noll, the former McHenry and current R-B coach, had planned to visit Mack this week.

"Bill was always up at 5 in the morning, so if I was up early, I could call him [with a question] and he would pick up," Kay said.

Kay's 2009 team won the Class 6A state championship. Seaburg's team won it again last season. The Trojans have played in three other title games since 2004. Kay, Seaburg and Schremp always gave a nod to Mack for helping them reach the pinnacle.

"People don't realize how many coaches he helped out," Schremp said. "I would always tell him that he should have started 1-800-BILL-MACK because so many coaches called to pick his brain. He never quit studying football. That was something I hope I can keep, that mindset, and I hope I can do something like that for other coaches down the line."

by Taboola

Sponsored Links

You May Like

AARP Insurance Plans - You will be amazed at the benefits

AARP Insurance Plans | Search Ads

Teen Kicked Out Of Prom When Adults Can't Stop Staring

EternalLifeStyle

31 Smartest Athletes In Sports History

SportsChew

This Photo Has Not Been Edited, Look Closer

Travelfuntu

7 Cars So Good It's hard To Believe They Cost Under $20K

Stuff Answered

The Best Luxury Cars Of 2019 Have Arrived

Luxury Cars Taboola Manual

Newspaper subscribers: Activate your online account now

Did you know that subscribers of the Northwest Herald newspaper automatically receive full, unlimited access to NWHerald.com?

click here to activate now

Reader Poll

How do you use Crystal Lake's namesake lake?

I live on the lake

I go to the beaches on the lake

I boat on the lake

I don't use the lake

Other

Vote!Show results

Sponsored By

Letters to the Editor

Letter: On mobilization and conscription of farmers

Letter: What about health care?

Letter: JFK turning in grave

Letter: Dems are off the rails

Letter: Keep restoring public lands

Letter: Help is available

Letter: The TIF scam

Letter: Climate change is urgent

Letter: Don't legislate nursing ratios

Letter: AG Barr lied

Loading more

About|Contact|Advertise|Subscribe

|Privacy Policy|About Our Ads

|Place a Classified Ad|Careers
Copyright © 2019 Northwest Herald. All rights reserved. Published in Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA, by Shaw Media.

FacebookTwitter
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Smitty Oom

Quote from: kiko on May 16, 2019, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 16, 2019, 01:21:54 PM
To be fair, Smitty's an outsider to the CCIW ... and JV info is scant on the respective CCIW men's basketball webpages. I'm not sure how much info he could've gleaned on his own.

Oh, I know.  I was just amused that this was as overt of a Ypsi as you'll see since he more or less led with 'I could look this up but am going to ask you all to do the legwork for me'...

To be fair, I looked around Augustana's men's basketball site and couldn't find anything JV related, so at that point I just posed the question. Didn't want to go through all the different websites. Appreciate the answers. A lot of the MIAC teams have JVs as well and the schedules look quite similar, with Jucos/NAIA teams with the occasional D3 JV as well.

Also, has it been noted that the 2019-20 Augie schedule is up on their website now? Season opener has the defending champs bringing The BeltTM to Rock Island.... will be a fun one I'm sure!

augie77

Augustana's non-conference schedule includes:
UW-Oshkosh, UW_Stevens Point and UW-LaCrosse (top three this past season in WIAC)
Loras
Washington U
Calvin
Alma
MacMurray

That's 24 games, including 16 in conference.  Presumably another game will be added.  This schedule will severely test the Vikings who will be losing three all conference starters.

WUPHF

Quote from: augie77 on May 21, 2019, 11:57:02 AM

Washington U

Yes! This will be the fifth straight match-up between the two teams after a three year break in play.

tomt4525

Quote from: augie77 on May 21, 2019, 11:57:02 AM
UW-Oshkosh, UW_Stevens Point and UW-LaCrosse (top three this past season in WIAC)
Loras
Washington U
Calvin
Alma
MacMurray

That's 24 games, including 16 in conference.  Presumably another game will be added.  This schedule will severely test the Vikings who will be losing three all conference starters.

As much as I'd like to say that UWSP should be a force in D3 next year, I'm not expecting it.  They lose their top 6 players from last year along with 2 other seniors who played sparingly.  From their returners, nobody played big roles in the past although a couple were playing more minutes near the end of the season.  As far as their recruiting goes, they have had 3 straight underwhelming classes in a row to this point.  They lose 8 guys and as it stands now, only have 3 players in their incoming class.  For them to compete, they need to bring in a couple transfers as pretty much all incoming freshman in Wisconsin that could play in the WIAC have made their decisions.  UWSP will barely be able to play 5 on 5 in practice right now.

La Crosse and Oshkosh will be top notch non-conference matchups and games I'll be looking forward to watching.  La Crosse has recruited the best in the WIAC since Dernbach has arrived, atleast that is my opinion.

Gregory Sager

Some big news for both the CCIW and the WIAC concerning men's basketball officiating.

Thanks as well to veteran CCIW ref Ken Maziarka, whose many years of being in charge of our league's assignments and evaluations as CCIW men's basketball officiating coordinator will come to an end with this change.

AndOne

It will be interesting to see if:

1. All the current CCIW officials are retained if a different entity is now in charge of assigning refs, and reviewing their performances.
2. If there will be a shift in the way certain plays are looked at/called. With the realization that theoretically there is only so much "wiggle room" available within each individual rule, do refs who are employed under the Basketball Collegiate Officiating Consortium umbrella generally look at certain things differently from how we in the CCIW are used to seeing them called?
3. Will being governed by the BCOC bring a higher level of consistency with regard to how rules are interpreted, and consequently how calls are made?

Basketball Collegiate Officiating Consortium. 🤔

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, most of the language you used in those questions is pretty antiquated when it comes to officiating. I imagine having your own set of officials, run by your league office may have had the CCIW behind the times in terms of officiating.  It's probably a good move to get involved with this consortium.

The last 5-7 years have seen a pretty remarkable move toward uniformity in NBA and NCAA officials for basketball.  They're using a lot of analysis and evaluation of individual officials to work on limiting biases and setting standards for calls to make officials more interchangeable.  Obviously, with the scale of NCAA basketball, that's more difficult to do, but I'd venture to say CCIW officials will be much more in line with how things are called nationally than they were before.

I've been incredibly impressed with everything I've learned above officiating improvements across the country in the last few years.  With literally every game being recorded these days, there's a lot of work the officiating coordinators and assigners can do to improve the product.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere