Shirts, and stickers and decals oh my!

Started by cawcdad, November 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUPepBand

So Pep  is planning in mid-July to take a solo cross-country three-week trip from Saxonville to the west coast and back with the itinerary including stops in:
Bicknell, IN
Lawrence, KS
Tulsa, OK
Austin, TX
Roswell, NM (Carlsbad Caverns)
Phoenix, AZ
L.A.
Yosemite National Park
Pendleton, OR
Bozeman, MT
Mount Rushmore, SD
St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Lac du Flambeau, WI
and back to Alfred, hopefully within three weeks!!!

The trip will serve as somewhat of a re-enactment (albeit a very different itinerary) of a family cross-country campiing trip Pep took back in 1966 that lasted three weeks and was such a memorable experience that Pep's siblings still talk fondly of our travels. Pep has purchased a number of accessories in order to turn his PT Cruiser into an RV or a one-man mini-house on wheels and is looking to set up camp when he's not staying with friends.

Pep enjoys visiting D3 stadiums...given Pep's tentative itinerary, are there any D3 venues that are "must see"?

Meantime, Pep will try to document all the D3 shirts, stickers and decals he encounters in his travels....
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: AUPepBand on May 23, 2016, 08:16:38 PM
Pep enjoys visiting D3 stadiums...given Pep's tentative itinerary, are there any D3 venues that are "must see"?
Obviously if you're down near Austin you have to stop in Belton to check out UMHB and the Cruthedral
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

D3MAFAN

A Lake Forest sticker on the back of a SUV walking to my client in Washington D.C.

AUPepBand

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on May 24, 2016, 02:56:56 PM
Obviously if you're down near Austin you have to stop in Belton to check out UMHB and the Cruthedral

Indeed, Pep has already received an invitation for a personal tour of the Cruthedral topped off with some Texas style BBQ!! Sounds like a plan!

Hawks88

In Auburn today, a car with personalized Texas A&M plates, CRU 12. Was it a '12 grad of TA&M whose initials happen to be CRU or a '12 UMHB grad who is a TA&M fan? Does Texas have UMHB plates?

ETA - Just checked and UMHB does have one but it's kind of plain looking. They have them for Auburn and U of Alabama and many other non-Texas schools. There are also some High School plates, crazy.

Joe Wally

So Pep  is planning in mid-July to take a solo cross-country three-week trip from Saxonville to the west coast and back with the itinerary including stops in:
Bicknell, IN
Lawrence, KS
Tulsa, OK
Austin, TX
Phoenix, AZ
L.A.
Yosemite National Park
Pendleton, OR
Bozeman, MT
Mount Rushmore, SD
St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Lac du Flambeau, WI

The trip will serve as somewhat of a re-enactment (albeit a very different itinerary) of a family cross-country campiing trip Pep took back in 1966 that lasted three weeks and was such a memorable experience that Pep's siblings still talk fondly of our travels. Pep has purchased a number of accessories in order to turn his PT Cruiser into an RV or a one-man mini-house on wheels and is looking to set up camp when he's not staying with friends.

Meantime, Pep will try to document all the D3 shirts, stickers and decals he encounters in his travels....

crufootball

Quote from: Hawks88 on May 25, 2016, 11:03:15 PM
In Auburn today, a car with personalized Texas A&M plates, CRU 12. Was it a '12 grad of TA&M whose initials happen to be CRU or a '12 UMHB grad who is a TA&M fan? Does Texas have UMHB plates?

ETA - Just checked and UMHB does have one but it's kind of plain looking. They have them for Auburn and U of Alabama and many other non-Texas schools. There are also some High School plates, crazy.

Us Texans feel the need to show off our school pride as much as humanly possible haha. I say that as the proud owner of UMHB plates that say THECRU. Not sure how other states do things like this but one cool thing is a good chunk of the money to get the specialty plates goes to a charity usually connected to the school or group.

Scots13

Quote from: crufootball on May 27, 2016, 03:06:07 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on May 25, 2016, 11:03:15 PM

Us Texans feel the need to show off our school pride as much as humanly possible haha. I say that as the proud owner of UMHB plates that say THECRU. Not sure how other states do things like this but one cool thing is a good chunk of the money to get the specialty plates goes to a charity usually connected to the school or group.

Unfortunately, Virginia doesn't have Maryville plates, so I "made" my own: "Dont Tread On Me" (Gadsden flag) tag with MURVUL. People get the hint when they notice the Maryville College Alumni sticker in the back glass...
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HSCTiger74

I saw an Averett decal on the rear window of a pickup while walking the dog around our Charlotte neighborhood earlier today, then a Carnegie-Mellon sticker on an older Volvo wagon passing me in traffic later in the day.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ADL70 on April 29, 2016, 08:08:45 PM
Found a golf ball today at White Wing Sun City Georgetown Texas with logo "UMPI Owls." Took me awhile to figure out Maine-Presque Isle. I am a d3 geek.
+1!  That is one of the most unique sightings that we have ever had posted on this board.

sowilson

St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN

Well, if you're travels take you near/through the Twin Cities then there are a number of facilities worth visiting and if you take a tour of them it's even better.

If you're traveling to/from South Dakota then you can stop in the Mankato/St. Peter area (on Hwy 169) and see two very nice facilities
1) Blakeslee Stadium - Minnesota State University Mankato.  Ok so it's D2 but the field of this stadium is the nicest natural grass field in the USA.  There are no weeds and the grass is packed so tight that you need to use TPU cleats and not detachable cleats on this surface.  It is perfect - better than any field turf or mondo field in existance.
2)Gustavus Stadium - Lloyd Hollingsworth Field.  Just up 169 from Mankato is St. Peter, MN and Gustavus Adolphus College.  This is a very nice, new, D3 stadium.  Decent sky boxes, great seats, and a very nice field.  My son looks forward to playing for the Gusties this fall on this field.  From Mankato to Minneapolis this is on the way so might as well stop in.

If you're traveling to/from North Dakota on 94 then you need to visit Collegeville
3) Clemens Stadium - St. John's University.  This natural bowl and former cranberry bog has turned into a fantastic place to watch football.  Also some of the nicest people I've met have been at St. John's  I was there to watch the Tommy/Johnnie game last year.  What a zoo when you have 17000 fans at a D3 game.

If you happen to be about 30 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul on I35 then drop by Northfield to see
4) St. Olaf College - they are getting a new field (mondo surface) so no more grass.  The stadium itself isn't special but the football building on the west side of the end zone is.  This fairly small building is all football.  Locker room, Football office, player lounge, meeting rooms, weight rooms - it's all football.  My son loved his recruiting visit to St. Olaf and was impressed with this facility - what a great place to play football.
5) Carleton College -  Laird Stadium.  I use to hang out in this stadium as a kid.  It use to hold a 220yrd indoor track, handball courts, sauna, and a weight lifting cage.  Us townies would sneak in and train in the weight room and on the track since our Jr High and High School didn't have weight facilities at the time.  After a flood a few years ago they remodeled the inside of the stadium and it's now a very nice football facilities (offices, weight room, etc).  A few vestiges of the old indoor track remain.  As for the stadium, when first developed there was talk of Carleton being a part of the Big 10 and so the stadium was designed and built along the lines of the horseshoe at Ohio State.  The property was designed to hold a horseshoe but they only built one part of it which is the stadium you see now.  Quite large for D3.

If you're in Minneapolis/St. Paul you can see a number of great stadiums, all different, and all most all of them are very close to each other.  You can see all of them in an afternoon.
6) University of Minnesota - TCF Bank Stadium.  Ok, so it's D1, it's real nice and if you can take a tour the locker room is wonderful.  It's worth seeing though.
7)  Edor Nelson Field - Augsburg College Stadium.  Just south of the University of Minnesota is D3 Augsburg.  They get high marks for finding a way of converting a parking lot into a football field where one side is adjacent to a busy freeway.  They also manage to put a dome over it for the winter.  where else can you miss kick and have a ball end up in a freeway.  Small, cramped, but lot's of fun, decent facilities and a great place to tailgate (city park next door to field).
8) Seafoam Stadium - Concordia University, St. Paul.  Ok, Ok, you're on your way to St. Thomas from Augburg so you might as well swing past Concordia and pay homage to your boat's fuel additive.  D2 facility, field turf, has a dome in the winter.  Not a bad facility.
9) Klas Field - Hamline University.  My son played an 8th grade title game on this field.  Attractive Stadium, decent turf.  My son use to train winter baseball in the field house - very nice facilities.  The basketball facility is very old school and wonderful.  Great Track and Field facilities and coaching.
10) Macalester Stadium.  The new Leonard Center is really the Jewel at Macalester and a major upgrade to their facilities.  The stadium is decent, very open, good seating, but bring your own refillable water bottle as they've gone green and don't sell throw away water bottles.  There are dorm rooms in the stadium - interesting.  My son was heavily recruited to play here and really like the coaches, players, facilities, and program.  Pretty campus.
11) O'Shaughnessy Stadium - University of St. Thomas. Nice old stadium with very modern facilities built up around it.  Great place to watch football (been to many HS football games there).  If you stop by see if you can take a tour of the facilities in the Anderson Athletic and Recreation Complex.  Great weight room - great football S&C coach.  A locker room that puts many D1-FBS power 5 conference locker rooms to shame.  Not quite as opulent as the Gophers but getting close (lots of big screen TV's and game controllers).  When they were building the Anderson Student Center, just south of the stadium, the administration had it moved 40 feet to the east so the windows on the upper floor function room would a line dead center with the football field.  When they're playing in bad weather, parents of the players and VIP's can move into the student center to view the game and stay dry.  Got to love St. Thomas athletics!

AUPepBand

Quote from: Joe Wally on May 27, 2016, 10:19:43 AM
Bicknell, IN
Pep has purchased a number of accessories in order to turn his PT Cruiser into an RV or a one-man mini-house on wheels and is looking to set up camp when he's not staying with friends.

Perhaps Pep should add some wood grain siding and repaint his plum PT Cruiser to a lime green....and go to Walley World!

AUPepBand

Quote from: Joe Wally on May 27, 2016, 10:19:43 AM
Bicknell, IN
Lawrence, KS
Tulsa, OK
Austin, TX
Phoenix, AZ
L.A.
Yosemite National Park
Pendleton, OR
Bozeman, MT
Mount Rushmore, SD
St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Lac du Flambeau, WI

Love this....two years ago, Pep was doing some research on Alex Yunevich in southern Indiana, then traveled up to West Lafayette to visit Purdue for extended search. En route, Pep stppped at both DePauw and Wally's World at Wabash!
+K

HSCTiger74

I was working the polls for our congressional primary election yesterday and a man came in wearing both a Wabash Alumni t-shirt and a Wabash ball cap.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

A guy wearing an MIT t-shirt in the Mi Cocina restaurant in the Lake Highlands area of Dallas last Thursday.