BB: MWC: Midwest Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Is Ripon as strong this year as they have been in the past? I also know that Coach Gillespie left Ripon, who took the reins from him?

Is St. Norbert's still a quality program. I know they made the NCAAs a few seasons ago, but do they still have the capabilities to do that again?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 13, 2006, 04:22:21 PM
Is Ripon as strong this year as they have been in the past? I also know that Coach Gillespie left Ripon, who took the reins from him?
His son Bob, who is also the Men's basketball coach, took over for his father. 

Ripon should have a solid pitching staff, however it remains to be seen how much the loss of starting Cathcer and two-time All Conference selection John Dunlavy will hurt the pitchers.  All in all I would guess they would be the favorite to win the North Division, and meet up with Monmouth in the MWC Conference Tournament Championship.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Maverick

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 13, 2006, 04:22:21 PM
Is St. Norbert's still a quality program. I know they made the NCAAs a few seasons ago, but do they still have the capabilities to do that again?

I don't know what SNC has for this season but looking back at recent seasons I'd say they've still been a quality program and provided some solid competition for Ripon in the north...

2005 (23-13, 14-2) Won the north division, hosted the conference tournament, and lost in the championship game to Ripon.

2004 (20-14, 13-3) Second place in the north division, advanced to the conference tournament at Monmouth.

2003 (17-18, 9-7) Second place in the north division, won the conference tournament that Ripon hosted, and lost in the NCAA regional round.

2002 (23-12, 13-3) Second place in the north division, advanced to the conference tournament at Monmouth.
Maverick
Check out the website at: http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/monmouthfb
Go Scots!

cubs

It appears Dunlavy's ankle is healed enough to be playing, as he was 1x4 in Ripon's opening DH.  They are currently 2-0. 

Here is a link to the MWC Baseball page:
http://www.midwestconference.org/baseball/default.asp

pastprime

Man, I was just in Tampa the 14th and 15th.  I should have looked up Ripons schedule.
I may not have much to say, but I'll say it anyway.

cubs

Just want to correct a statemet I made earlier.  Dunlavy DID NOT play in Florida.  I guess the other catcher forgot his jersey and had to wear Dunlavy's, and the scorekeeper used the jersey number in the computer scoring program which made it look like Dunlavy had played.

Ripon ends their trip at 9-3, however it doesn't appear there were many strong teams on their schedule.

Also, Bill Nolan pitches only 1/3 of an inning on the whole trip.  Things don't appear to look good for Ripon's ace.  Rumor had it he was having some arm troubles during winter practice.

Maverick

Monmouth took 2 of 3 from Wisconsin Lutheran this weekend to get back to .500 on the season (8-8 overall record).  Was actually hoping to see a sweep this weekend since this has been a team that the Scots have typically been able to take all 3 games from whenever they've met recently and Wisconsin Lutheran was 0-7 heading into this weekend's match-up.  Monmouth returns to action on Wednesday with a single game at home against Iowa Wesleyan College.
Maverick
Go Scots!

greenknightsfan

Just a quick correction...
Ripon's other catcher didn't forget his jersey the airport lost it.
just straightening that up.

Thanks

BigPoppa

Updated MWC Standings heading into conference play:
2006 Standings 

North Division

Ripon 9-3
Beloit 8-7
Lawrence  6-6
Carroll 3-9
St. Norbert  2-8

South Division

Illinois College 9-4
Grinnell 5-4
Monmouth  9-10
Knox 6-8

I am impressed with Lawrence at 6-6... a step in the right direction for them. It looks as if Ripon is solid again and Illinois College is also off to a nice start.

Anybody else have some thoughts on this conference?

Maverick

Monmouth took a pair of wins Saturday at home vs. Grinnell to open up conference play and move to 11-10, 2-0 MWC.  Won the first game 2-1 (in 8 innings) with Dan Dunn throwing a no-hitter and Chris Smith hitting a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 8th to win it.  Won the second game with Matt Engelhardt and Nate McCaherty combining to hold the Pioneers to just one run in the night cap.  Not much offense out of the Scots today, but enough pitching to make it stand up; and wins are wins, no matter how pretty (or ugly) they are. :)
Maverick
Go Scots!

Maverick

Monmouth moved to 14-10, 4-0 MWC with a home doubleheader sweep of Illinois College this afternoon.  Won the first game 3-2 behind another strong outing from Dan Dunn and Scott Coles who retired the final 2 batters in another tight game.  Won the second game 2-1 (in 10 innings) as Matt Engelhardt and Nate McCaherty combined for another good effort in holding down the Blueboys, and Chris Smith singled home the winning run in the bottom of the 10th.  Again, not alot of offense for the Scots today but just enough to make the good pitching stand up for a couple more wins. :)

Anyone else have anything to add...or am I just talking to myself?
Maverick
Go Scots!

BigPoppa

I think it's just you and me, big fella.... Monmouth should run away with their division... agreed?

Maverick

Yeah BP, it would appear that it's just you and me around this board.  Just curious...are you a fan of one of the MWC North teams?

Anyhow, the Scots should win the South.  But after the last couple weekends of tight and unconvincing ballgames (luckily all 4 games turned out as wins), I'm not completely sold on them "running away with it" just yet.  I still think they will win the division, but should be interesting to see how they do on the road during the next 2 weekends of conference action (would love to see them explode for about 15 runs this Saturday at IC and then do the same at Knox during the following weekend) after not playing as well as they're capable of in the first 2 weekends while at home.
Maverick
Go Scots!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Maverick on April 09, 2006, 10:31:36 PM
Yeah BP, it would appear that it's just you and me around this board.  Just curious...are you a fan of one of the MWC North teams?

Mav... I am actually a Carthage fan, but keep close tabs on the MWC as they may end up in the Central regional when the tourney rolls around. I just try to do my homework an teams. Looks like the south will come down to Monmouth and Illinois College(with Monmouth have a slight advantage after this weekend).

What do you think of the north?? Can anybody challenge Ripon or are they just head and shoulders above the rest of the division?