2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

While he may have been "ruled ineligible to coach the Riverhounds because he didn't have a United States Soccer Federation National A coaching license", I don't necessarily think the article was a spin piece. From everything I've seen and read, he's a great coach and has found success everywhere.  Hell, if the United States Naval Academy allowed him to coach a course on leadership, and award him an honorary degree, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and would certainly allow my son to play for him. 

jknezek

Oh he's absolutely a great coach. The spin in that article is why he left the Riverhounds. I don't think he's leaving from all I read if he's not ruled ineligible to coach. But yeah, this is a huge get for Hope. I think they are going to be competitors in a few years. We'll see if he sticks around or tries to move up again.

NEsoccerfan

I found it amusing that he is wearing Navy insignia pants withthe Hope jacket in all those pictures haha

Gregory Sager

Well, it's not that far of a reach. After all, Hope's symbol is an anchor. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr.Right

Quote from: Hopkins92 on April 02, 2018, 03:25:34 PM
I'm not saying the NCAA isn't prone to fairly vague and easy to misinterpret rules, but just from the context... band, musical instrument, artificial noisemaker... Is it possible that there has never been a stipulation that these noisemakers, bands or other types of cheering are permissible? Is it not possible that some coach or AD is annoyed with the advantage afforded to the MD's of the world and tried to get something on the books to forbid it? And that this bullet is specifically telling those fun-burglars to shove off?

With that said, I do see the possible loophole being created here, and it's a valid point. I guess some lawyer could come in and defend jet engine-level noise being blasted at the opposing team during warm-ups as being permissible. But, wow, that would be a pretty significant stretch, no?

=-=-=-=-=

You kind of burned a lot of words on something I'd already stipulated to: the center ref shouldn't be the one keeping track of time. Just like they aren't in any other count-down sport. There should be an official timekeeper and they should be stopping the clock on every whistle. Period. Yeah, you'll have a few user error slippages, but nothing like what happens with the center ref system.

(As a final aside, you took a borderline personal approach to responding to a pretty innocuous comment. You might want to chill with putting "you people" into a response as it's unnecessarily confrontational, particularly when I've hedged twice in that post by saying I don't feel that strongly AND that I thought good points were being made on the other side of the argument.)

There was nothin personal or confrontational about my response nor was it meant to be. If you took it that way that is your issue not mine but thanks for the advice. If the initial comment was so innocuous then why feel the need to "hedge" in the first place? Even if you do not care about the topic one way or another a flat out opinion is much more interesting and respected than a hedge.

Mr.Right

Well at least we got an answer to my initial question on why he left Navy...I also do not think this was a spin piece. These type of pieces are common for new additions to your staff especially if the new addition has the accolades that Brandt does in coaching. A piece like this would never bring up the whole license issue at Pittsburgh.  I found it almost edgy that a piece like this would even bring up the fact that he worked these kids so hard in Spring training they were vomiting. That tells me 2 things. 1. He is breaking these kids hard to see what he has and 2. These kids were not used to a coach that really put a ton of emphasis on fitness. HE MUST HAVE kids the fittest they will ever be in their lives to play the style he will want to play.  I do agree with you that he would have never left Pittsburgh if the license issue had not come up but for us neutrals this certainly will make the 2018 D3 Soccer season and the MIAA league in general much more closely followed on my end. That is the best hedge I can muster

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Just a note that maybe you all knew already... but the person who replaced him at Navy... was a DIII guy. Stevens' former coach.

Called a game there last year for Navy Sports. Always enjoying putting my DIII notes on my game sheets on those occasions and then getting them into the broadcast.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 10, 2018, 11:27:37 AM
Just a note that maybe you all knew already... but the person who replaced him at Navy... was a DIII guy. Stevens' former coach.

Called a game there last year for Navy Sports. Always enjoying putting my DIII notes on my game sheets on those occasions and then getting them into the broadcast.

Unfortunately, Navy soccer has pretty much tanked since Brandt left.  They are 7-22-6 the last two seasons under the former Stevens coach's leadership.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - I haven't been impressed with the "success" of the team. I am just glad to insert DIII stuff when I can without people realizing I'm doing it. LOL

We shall see where the program goes from there. Their home field is a unique and cool place to see a game at... especially if a couple of boats, even frigates, show up.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hopkins92

Quote from: Mr.Right on April 10, 2018, 12:38:36 AM
Quote from: Hopkins92 on April 02, 2018, 03:25:34 PM
I'm not saying the NCAA isn't prone to fairly vague and easy to misinterpret rules, but just from the context... band, musical instrument, artificial noisemaker... Is it possible that there has never been a stipulation that these noisemakers, bands or other types of cheering are permissible? Is it not possible that some coach or AD is annoyed with the advantage afforded to the MD's of the world and tried to get something on the books to forbid it? And that this bullet is specifically telling those fun-burglars to shove off?

With that said, I do see the possible loophole being created here, and it's a valid point. I guess some lawyer could come in and defend jet engine-level noise being blasted at the opposing team during warm-ups as being permissible. But, wow, that would be a pretty significant stretch, no?

=-=-=-=-=

You kind of burned a lot of words on something I'd already stipulated to: the center ref shouldn't be the one keeping track of time. Just like they aren't in any other count-down sport. There should be an official timekeeper and they should be stopping the clock on every whistle. Period. Yeah, you'll have a few user error slippages, but nothing like what happens with the center ref system.

(As a final aside, you took a borderline personal approach to responding to a pretty innocuous comment. You might want to chill with putting "you people" into a response as it's unnecessarily confrontational, particularly when I've hedged twice in that post by saying I don't feel that strongly AND that I thought good points were being made on the other side of the argument.)

There was nothin personal or confrontational about my response nor was it meant to be. If you took it that way that is your issue not mine but thanks for the advice. If the initial comment was so innocuous then why feel the need to "hedge" in the first place? Even if you do not care about the topic one way or another a flat out opinion is much more interesting and respected than a hedge.

Since you didn't include the comments you are referring to, let me point a couple of things out.

QuoteUmm ok but artificial noisemakers as u define them like "cowbells" or whatever have always been allowed..When has that ever been a problem? Why the need to include this then? I take artificial noisemakers as a pretty broad definition.

People like yourself MAKE the time issue a big deal.

That's a sarcastic comment to open up ("Umm ok"), followed by the use of "yourself," a word which is defined as "you personally, to emphasize the person being addressed."  So, no, that's not me jumping ahead or misinterpreting anything.

My response to you was pedantic. I'll own that and move on.

truenorth

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 10, 2018, 11:39:41 PM
Yeah - I haven't been impressed with the "success" of the team. I am just glad to insert DIII stuff when I can without people realizing I'm doing it. LOL

We shall see where the program goes from there. Their home field is a unique and cool place to see a game at... especially if a couple of boats, even frigates, show up.

I would like to share that back in 2005, when O'Donohue was coaching a very successful program at Stevens, he aggressively recruited my son after the Region 1 tournament.  My son was fortunate to show well in the tournament and received a lot of D1 and D3 attention before committing to Brown, but O'Donohue stood out as someone who was friendly, positive and persistent throughout the process.  I only spoke with him on the phone and have never met him in person, but he made a very positive impression on me.

Gregory Sager

North Park played a friendly against D1 Bradley this afternoon that ended in a scoreless tie. Given how little outside work the Vikings have been able to get due to the abysmal weather that has plagued the spring practice cycle, they looked pretty creditable today.

Bradley went 11-7-3 in 2017, so that's not a bad showing for NPU.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 21, 2018, 07:56:08 PM
North Park played a friendly against D1 Bradley this afternoon that ended in a scoreless tie. Given how little outside work the Vikings have been able to get due to the abysmal weather that has plagued the spring practice cycle, they looked pretty creditable today.

Bradley went 11-7-3 in 2017, so that's not a bad showing for NPU.

Love to hear when D3 programs can pull out a result against D1s. Any other spring D3 v. D1 scrimmage results to report?

D3soccerwatcher

Messiah Instagram reports Messiah lost to Bucknell University 1-0 this weekend.

Goldenrj

Hampden-Sydney beat D1 Longwood 4-0.