MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald Reagan

Quote from: hopefan on January 25, 2020, 09:06:56 AM
Thank you GU and a plus 1 for being the first and only responder to my hopefan standings... I hope at there were a few others that at least read it..

so in my never ending quest to generate interest in SLIAC Board writings, which I seem to be abysmally failing at (ie, I guess it's who cares if the coach has his daughter running out on the court with him during the game - it happens all the time)...             

anyway, I'll throw this one out...
In my player performance reviews, there is clearly a top five emerging, which will make it easy to select my SLIAC first team if that trend continues...
Can anybody guess who they are?   or does nobody give a rip?   I'd also say that among the top 5, nobody has pulled away as a leading candidate for MOP.

call me grouchy this morning... dog got me up early... but I'd never get mad at her....

hope,

Nancy and I enjoy your SLIAC input. As you can imagine, up here the WiFi is limited which hinders my ability to comment on these boards.
Eureka College class of 1932. 40th President of the United States of America.

hopefan

Quote from: Ronald Reagan on January 25, 2020, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: hopefan on January 25, 2020, 09:06:56 AM
Thank you GU and a plus 1 for being the first and only responder to my hopefan standings... I hope at there were a few others that at least read it..

so in my never ending quest to generate interest in SLIAC Board writings, which I seem to be abysmally failing at (ie, I guess it's who cares if the coach has his daughter running out on the court with him during the game - it happens all the time)...             

anyway, I'll throw this one out...
In my player performance reviews, there is clearly a top five emerging, which will make it easy to select my SLIAC first team if that trend continues...
Can anybody guess who they are?   or does nobody give a rip?   I'd also say that among the top 5, nobody has pulled away as a leading candidate for MOP.

call me grouchy this morning... dog got me up early... but I'd never get mad at her....

hope,

Nancy and I enjoy your SLIAC input. As you can imagine, up here the WiFi is limited which hinders my ability to comment on these boards.

a little cloudy too, I'd imagine....probably responsible for that fuzzy picture from Eureka....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Greek Tragedy

So I give Greenville an endorsement and they lose. And then my 2nd favorite team, who is inconsistent, also loses. SMH.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Well, Eureka's loss vs Blackburn has "stunning" revelations when we look at hopefan standings after today's games....

1) BLACKBURN   +1    why.. 8 games left, 8 games expected to win... 4 against non contenders, 4 against contenders all at home...

2)  Webster         0     got expected win over noncontender Spalding

3)   Greenville     -1    loss on road at Westmin doesn't hurt, but it misses a chance to gain ground

4)    Westminster  -1   Win at home against Greenville was needed, and they got it...

5)    Fontbonne    -1   Gutted out win vs noncontender Mac to keep pace

6)    Eureka         -2    Bad loss at home... pressure mounts.. they'll start scoreboard watching pretty soon.. what is going wrong here?

GU1999

In light of the SLIAC Sportsmanship Policy and the severe penalties associated with violation of the 14 technical limit, I will attempt to keep a record of the seasons technical fouls (team and player).

Season totals (as of 1/28/2020):

Class A T's season to date.

Eureka 5 Ts (.294 T's per game):
Banks
Hosea
Juergens
Crawford
Bennington

MacMurray - 4 T's: (.235 T's per game)
Ian Smith
Tanner Payton
Zach Kroenlein
Camron Jamison

Iowa Wesleyan - 4 T's* (.235 T's per game)
Cresswell - 2
Banks
Team

Principia - 3 Ts (.187 T's per game)
Goodman - 2
Team

Westminster - 3 (.187 T's per game)
Spriggs - 2
Althaus

Fontbonne 3 Ts (.176 T's per game):
CJ Purcell
Dominic Doolin
Caden Clark

Blackburn 3T: (.176 T's per game)
Karson Hayes 2
Team

Spalding 1 T: (.058 T's per game)
Brian Tribble

Webster - 1T (.058 T's per game)
Clay

Greenville - 1T (.058 T's per game)
Williams

Currently, NO teams pacing to be excluded from the tournament for being above the .56 T's per game threshold.

Currently, NO individual is pacing for a one game suspension punishment(s) on personal aggregated Ts.

GU and Webster each make their first appearance of the season on the Tech Tote Board.

GU1999

January 28, 2020

Prin @ Eureka (Eureka - 22.5)

After an unexpected week that saw Eureka drop to .500 in the league, they will take it out on poor Prin tonight.  I am expecting an absolute drubbing.  The combination of home court, mid-week drive, Eureka's sense of Urgency and their tempo v. Prin's short bench are only the intangible factors.  They are also at every position on the floor.       

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Per GU1999 in a post last summer when the SLIAC Technical Foul rules were implemented..              "Is pace of play a factor?  T's per possession to be considered?  Could tired and edgy refs be quicker to call a T?  Are their more T's called as a result of the combative space invading constant double teaming scramble 100% of the time nature of the GU's defense, the 2+ hours games and the the dozens more 50/50 calls which need to be evaluated by exhausted refs?  I don't know but these things may be a factor.  All these things cut against GU. "

Per GU1999 stats post today:   re garding 2020seaon to date....   "Greenville - 1T (.058 T's per game)"

That clearly answers any question.. the system does not generate Technical Fouls... it's a factor of the discipline demanded of everyone in the program... that discipline was sadly missing last year.... Coach Barber, his staff, and all the players have done a tremendous job of turning things around this year...  as has the new set of rules....

GU1999

Prin Covers.  Good call Greek.   :)

Hope, I will take the bait a bit on this Sportsmanship comment just a little bit.  Certainly enough to agree with you that the 2019-20 GU men's basketball team has been exceptional in their discipline this year.  The stats don't lie when they say that they are tied for first in least Class A T's assessed.  And given that sportsmanship is all about Class A T avoidance, they may be back to competing for St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Team Sportsmanship Trophies again.   ;)

I do get a kick out of the way that GU kids have this year replaced last years chirping at refs with cartoonish levels of foul accepting.  Dr. Barber has always taught his players to raise their hand if they foul someone.  This was even done last year at times.  However, this year they are so anxious to be "compliant" and "meet expectation" and not do anything that could possible get them on the wrong side of a potentially offended official that on numerous occasions there are as many as 3 players raising their hands to accept the foul because they were in the play and they heard a whistle. To this, I say keep doing it, it is working. 

One note I do have is that in watching games, it appears that there is just less T's being called by SLIAC officials. One anecdotal example from a non-GU involved game.  A play occurred where there was a high speed 50/50 play in the open floor on the benches side of the court.  The play resulted in a common foul call against the defensive player and some chirping by the non-whistled offensive player.  The reaction to the chirping was that the whistled player who had picked up the ball threw a stiff chest pass at the kid who had been chirping and who was headed to the line to shoot his bonus FTs.  I was stunned that the officials who saw it occur because they were, immediately involved in deescalation of the incident, did not call at least one T.  I was gobsmacked actually.  Rightly or wrongly, I will admit that the though crossed my mind that if this was GU or Eureka there would certainly have been a T called.  If the bar for a T has been raised, that is probably for the best. 

Regardless, Dr. Barber, his staff and most importantly the classy group of young men on this team have performed admirable this year.  And this Alum is proud of them. 

Beyond that Hope, I am not taking the bait...  :-X

PS - At Kansas the players attempt WWE-style felonies... on the court. 

hopefan

Great post GU... was not trying to create problems... love the 3 guys raising their hands at once story... Maybe Coach was hollering to the ref, "give them each a personal... it's ok!!!!!"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

+1 for you

hopefan

Big night in the SLIAC tonight..

Mac at Spalding   opportunity for either....

Greenville at Webster   sorry coach, rooting for Greenville in this one... hopefan loves a tight race

Fontbonne at Blackburn... 1st of 4 home conference contender games for BC... can they defend their home court and glide into the conf tourney

Westmin at Iowa Wes.... absolutely critical game for Westmin...

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GU1999 on January 29, 2020, 11:27:41 AMI do get a kick out of the way that GU kids have this year replaced last years chirping at refs with cartoonish levels of foul accepting.  Dr. Barber has always taught his players to raise their hand if they foul someone.  This was even done last year at times.  However, this year they are so anxious to be "compliant" and "meet expectation" and not do anything that could possible get them on the wrong side of a potentially offended official that on numerous occasions there are as many as 3 players raising their hands to accept the foul because they were in the play and they heard a whistle. To this, I say keep doing it, it is working.

Back in the day, of course, it was de rigueur in college basketball for an offending player to raise his hand when he'd committed a foul. Those kinder, gentler days long ago passed into our society's rear-view mirror, of course, but I applaud George Barber's old-school attempt to revive the practice. But a canny player can use the hand-raising to his team's benefit.

I speak of one player in particular, Jim Clausen of the North Park class of '81. Jimbo, as he was known to one and all, was a talented 6'5 power forward who was a top-notch distributor and defender. But he was a role player on a team that had three All-American superstars in Michael Harper, Michael Thomas, and Modzel Greer. My freshman year at North Park was 1979-80, the third year of the national championship threepeat for the Vikings, and I got to see firsthand how Clausen protected his illustrious teammates. Whenever there was a whistle blown at the defensive end of the floor and he was anywhere in the vicinity of one of North Park's star trio -- especially 6'10 center Michael Harper, the best player in D3 -- Clausen's hand would immediately shoot up into the air and he'd adopt the classic guilty hangdog look on his face of a player who knew that he'd been caught in the act by the refs. After having played with Jimbo for two years and being wise to his ways, Harper, Thomas, and Greer all knew to get their own right hands up in the air as slowly as possible.

Several times during that 1979-80 season I saw a ref do a double-take, as if to say to himself, "Well, I thought that it was #33 who did that, but I guess that it was #34," and then march over to the scorer's table to call a foul on Jim Clausen that he should've called on Michael Harper or on Modzel Greer.

I've never forgotten that little piece of gamesmanship.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GU1999

This is next level.  The key to pulling it off is the "hangdog look on the face".  Brilliant piece of gamesmanship.  Thank you for sharing. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 29, 2020, 11:59:39 AM
Quote from: GU1999 on January 29, 2020, 11:27:41 AMI do get a kick out of the way that GU kids have this year replaced last years chirping at refs with cartoonish levels of foul accepting.  Dr. Barber has always taught his players to raise their hand if they foul someone.  This was even done last year at times.  However, this year they are so anxious to be "compliant" and "meet expectation" and not do anything that could possible get them on the wrong side of a potentially offended official that on numerous occasions there are as many as 3 players raising their hands to accept the foul because they were in the play and they heard a whistle. To this, I say keep doing it, it is working.

Back in the day, of course, it was de rigueur in college basketball for an offending player to raise his hand when he'd committed a foul. Those kinder, gentler days long ago passed into our society's rear-view mirror, of course, but I applaud George Barber's old-school attempt to revive the practice. But a canny player can use the hand-raising to his team's benefit.

I speak of one player in particular, Jim Clausen of the North Park class of '81. Jimbo, as he was known to one and all, was a talented 6'5 power forward who was a top-notch distributor and defender. But he was a role player on a team that had three All-American superstars in Michael Harper, Michael Thomas, and Modzel Greer. My freshman year at North Park was 1979-80, the third year of the national championship threepeat for the Vikings, and I got to see firsthand how Clausen protected his illustrious teammates. Whenever there was a whistle blown at the defensive end of the floor and he was anywhere in the vicinity of one of North Park's star trio -- especially 6'10 center Michael Harper, the best player in D3 -- Clausen's hand would immediately shoot up into the air and he'd adopt the classic guilty hangdog look on his face of a player who knew that he'd been caught in the act by the refs. After having played with Jimbo for two years and being wise to his ways, Harper, Thomas, and Greer all knew to get their own right hands up in the air as slowly as possible.

Several times during that 1979-80 season I saw a ref do a double-take, as if to say to himself, "Well, I thought that it was #33 who did that, but I guess that it was #34," and then march over to the scorer's table to call a foul on Jim Clausen that he should've called on Michael Harper or on Modzel Greer.

I've never forgotten that little piece of gamesmanship.

This was my biggest contribution to most every team on which I played.  I rarely was in foul trouble, so I usually tried to take a few for other guys who were a bit more foul prone.  It rarely worked, but rarely is better than never.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Great game in Grant Gym tonight. Greenville sttuggled from the field in the first half and trailed 57-41 at halftime. But they came out firing on all cylinders to start the second half and got the lead. Webster hung in there and the Panthers cooled off just enough for the Gorloks to pull out a 125-121 win. Jordan Clay was especially good for Webster tonight.

To the fouling and technical fouling issue -- there was no evidence whatsoever of anything unnecessary being done by either team. Just a good, hard fought game.