BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on December 07, 2018, 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on December 05, 2018, 03:03:20 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 15, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
I just got on Hiram's website and looked at the pics of their field.  Huge upgrade.  I remember the days of the orange snow fence in the OF at Hiram.  Permanent fence, crushed brick warning track...looks much nicer now.  Hopefully Brua gets things going a little there.
Just checked it out. It fits in well with many other NCAC fields now.

One of my summer players was very impressed with Brua and Hiram.  He ended up narrowing down to ONU and Mount only because he wants to major in engineering.  He said if he didn't want to major in engineering he would have chosen Hiram because of Brua.
Yeah, almost every student/ball player I know, that can play at that level, usually ends up at ONU or Mount for that exact reason. I know a couple that really wanted to come to OWU, however OWU does not offer engineering as a four year degree.
I am even sure that there is an NCAC school that offers Engineering.
I am sure Hiram will see an uptick. With Round robin their chances should be improved.

Dr. Acula

The two things that Mount has added that I think have helped them the most are the nursing program and the engineering programs.  Recruiting was not even a consideration when adding them, but it's a nice added benefit. 

Pops33

I hope Brua is successful at Hiram.  It seems like a program that is ripe for improvement.  It is close to both Youngstown and Cleveland for those kids that want to stay close to home and his past experience in the NCAC in the will allow him to know what he is recruiting against, both pros and cons, in the state/region as a whole.

With all of the emphasis on strength of schedule now to qualify for the NCAA post-season, anytime a program improves, it is better for the conference as a whole, especially a program that has historically been in the lower third of the standings.  The improved field should definitely help with recruiting as well.  I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Pops33 on December 14, 2018, 10:13:08 AM
I hope Brua is successful at Hiram.  It seems like a program that is ripe for improvement.  It is close to both Youngstown and Cleveland for those kids that want to stay close to home and his past experience in the NCAC in the will allow him to know what he is recruiting against, both pros and cons, in the state/region as a whole.

With all of the emphasis on strength of schedule now to qualify for the NCAA post-season, anytime a program improves, it is better for the conference as a whole, especially a program that has historically been in the lower third of the standings.  The improved field should definitely help with recruiting as well.  I look forward to seeing what he can do.
Playing devils advocate here. While improving SOS for the rest of the league is great, if their is parity, and they spend the season beating up on each other, that may affect NCAC in the regional standings.
That being said,vital is up to the other teams to improve and up their game as well. I would love to see Hiram start beating up on OAC teams. I would like to see all NCAC teams compete against the top of the OAC.

Pops33

All but 3 teams last year were sub .500 in their out of conference won-loss record.  Those three that were above .500 all made regionals.  The worst out of conference records last year were:

Depauw 2-17
Hiram 3-12
Witt  6-14
Oberlin 8-14
Kenyon 6-10

The out of conference records are the ones that need improving to increase the teams' overall SOS.  They may beat each other up a little more, but the top teams will definitely benefit.  Plus, it's boring seeing the same 4 or 5 teams make the NCAC tournament every year.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Pops33 on December 14, 2018, 12:07:44 PM
All but 3 teams last year were sub .500 in their out of conference won-loss record.  Those three that were above .500 all made regionals.  The worst out of conference records last year were:

Depauw 2-17
Hiram 3-12
Witt  6-14
Oberlin 8-14
Kenyon 6-10

The out of conference records are the ones that need improving to increase the teams' overall SOS.  They may beat each other up a little more, but the top teams will definitely benefit.  Plus, it's boring seeing the same 4 or 5 teams make the NCAC tournament every year.
Yes, I agree. All the NCAC teams need to get better out of Conference.

Bishopleftiesdad

Looking at Depauw's schedule:
https://www.depauwtigers.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/schedule
Looks like there longest trip is 3 or four days in Birmingham, AL.
Looking back at their schedule it does not look like they take as long trips as some of the other NCAC schools. Looks like they go down south for a 3 or 4 days. They did go out to Tucson in 2016. And in 2013 they went down to Florida.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on December 14, 2018, 01:34:49 PM
Looking back at their schedule it does not look like they take as long trips as some of the other NCAC schools. Looks like they go down south for a 3 or 4 days. They did go out to Tucson in 2016. And in 2013 they went down to Florida.

Part of the reason to be D3 is to minimize expenses and travel is a big one for any program.

Bishopleftiesdad

Well since I am looking I may as well start posting Schedules. Starting with My Favorite The Battling Bishops:
https://battlingbishops.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Looks like they are heading down to teh Snowbird classic again in port Charlottte: http://snowbirdbaseball.info/
They are playing the usual cast of characters in Arcadia, Suny-Canton, and Swarthmore. They do not play these teams every year, however they seem to play them quite a bit when in Florida. I am glad to see Nichols off the schedule.
When they get back top Delaware, they play the typical schedule, heavy with OAC opponents, including the always over-rated (Just my opinion) Otterbein. They do add Manchester to the list. And I have never seen them play Manchester's fellow HCAC foe Defiance.
Out of Conference foes had a 386-309 record last year, good for a .555 win percentage. A few stinkers, however a pretty solid schedule.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Jim Dixon on December 14, 2018, 02:05:21 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on December 14, 2018, 01:34:49 PM

Part of the reason to be D3 is to minimize expenses and travel is a big one for any program.
Yes, however the schools in the NCAC that they compete against usually make a spring trip some where. Some of those trips are funded through fund raising and Parent associations. Wabash for instance makes a trip every year. Usually they take one short trip down south like Tenn or Ark, Then a spring trip somewhere to Arizona or Florida. One year they even went out to the west coast.
Each school has there own decisions to make. And as long as the student athlete is having a good experience, that is what matters, whether they take a trip or not. Looks like they make sure each Class gets at least one trip the four years they are there.

Bishopleftiesdad

Wooster has their roster posted for 2019.
http://www.woosterathletics.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/roster
10 freshman
8 Sophomore
8 Junior
7 Senior
Looks like 5 underclassman chose not to return. Of coarse one of those is Michael Wielansky who was drafted in the 18th round.

Bishopleftiesdad

Woosters schedule is posted however it is not complete. Looks like OWU and Wooster will have a common opponent early in Bridgewater state.

Bishopleftiesdad

Allegheny's schedule is out. Looks like they are headed to Tucson. No games listed yet for there trip.
https://alleghenygators.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
Looking at who they played last year in Tucson, if you plug in the same number of wins and losses I end up with a pretty solid OOC schedule. They played a very strong team last year in Tucson, St. Johns, and but the rest were .500 or below. Looking at the schedule when they get back to Meadville, a good part of their OOC schedule is .500 teams, however they do play some very good teams in Baldwin Wallace at 33-14 last year and Ohio Northern at 27-15.
Plugging in the numbers from last year would give there opponents a .546 winning percentage.
This may change when we see who they are playing in Tucson.

Bishopleftiesdad

Kenyon as usual is going to spend two weeks in Florida. They get most of their OOC games done during that time. Once they get back they also play, Westminster Capital, Muskingum, Bethany and Bluffton. More to come.

Pops33

The first preseason poll is out and the NCAC is well represented.  Wooster voted #1, Wabash #25, and Denison #36.  We all know that the preseason polls have a lot to do with the prior season and somevoters may not really realize who is and is not coming back for each team, but it is nice to see that the conference is well-represented and some national respect.