WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

There's nothing on the Carthage web site about Bernero leaving.
What's your source?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: RogK on March 12, 2023, 06:43:32 PM
What's your source?

He tweeted out confirmation today, since the school didn't announce it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on March 12, 2023, 06:43:32 PM
What's your source?

He's gone, Rog. I've already exchanged tweets with Tim.

I'm very sorry to see him leave Carthage. It's even tougher when you realize that his son Anthony is still playing for the Carthage men's basketball team.

Quote from: scottiedawg on March 12, 2023, 05:49:48 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on March 12, 2023, 12:15:53 PM
Let's hope CCIW women's basketball can regain its strength, have a greater national presence, next season.

The bulk of the CCIW look to bring back a lot of their production, so I think there's a very good chance CCIW is much much better top to bottom next year.

Also there's the potential for change and upside with Carthage and Elmhurst turning over their head coach positions.

Given the timing, it's not likely that either team is going to be better under a new coach in 2023-24, unless one or both can pull off a transfer-portal miracle a la what Sean Smith did with the NPU men's basketball program this past season. Good luck with that happening. Of course, given that Tethnie Carillo resigned all the way back on February 23, there's still a chance that Elmhurst could make a late run at some high-school seniors if the school was to hire a new coach within the next week or two, and said new coach hit the ground running. But that seems like a remote possibility as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

That is crummy that Carthage sent him walking.
I see that the aforementioned Anthony is a junior, so Tim may not want to immediately leave town for another college. Maybe a year off, relaxing?
Elmhurst should hire him.
Good luck to Coach Bernero whatever he opts to do.

Gregory Sager

Tim Bernero not only coached more wins than anyone else in Carthage women's basketball history, he coached more wins than the next four Carthage coaches with the most wins combined. To which you might say, "Well, Bernero ran the Lady Reds / Firebirds program for nineteen years, the longest tenure in program history, so of course he's gonna have more wins." Well, check this out:

* In 19 seasons, Tim's teams went 302-91. That's a .768 winning percentage.

* In 29 seasons, those other four coaches (Diane Mizerka, Kim Woodward, Rich Fanning, and Elaine Gonya) went 298-271. That's a .524 winning percentage.

* Two of Carthage's three CCIW championships were won by Bernero (2013, 2014). The other one was won by Fanning in 1996.

* Four of Carthage's five D3 tourney appearances came during Bernero's tenure (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014). Fanning's CCIW championship team in 1996 was the other.

* Carthage's all-time record in D3 tourney play is 8-5. Tim Bernero's all-time record in D3 tourney play is 8-4. You do the math.

* Tim posted four 20-win seasons at Carthage. The only other 20-win season in Carthage women's basketball history came back in 1982 under Cathy Lirgg, when the Lady Reds went 20-11 and didn't reach the postseason.

Quote from: RogK on March 13, 2023, 12:30:18 PM
Elmhurst should hire him.

Wouldn't shock me one single bit it they did.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Four CCIW players are honored by D3Hoops for all-region
https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2022-23/region-8-women
Congrats to each :
Elyce Knudsen - Region 8 Player of the Year and 3rd teamer (just kidding, 1st team)
Lauren Huber - 1st team
Bailey Coffman - 2nd team
Olivia Rangel - 3rd team

iwu70

Congrats to all the CCIW All-region honorees.  Well-deserved all.  Elyce Knudsen was magnificent this year. I wish she and the Big Blue could have gone further in March.

My special congrats to my friend, IWU student and super duper athlete Lauren Huber.   She's just such a steady, solid all-around player and a very decent human being too.   We are lucky she's a Titan for another two years!   I have high hopes for the IWU program next season as Powers and Knutson return to full health and the three freshmen, rising sophomores -- Mahlum, Balli and White -- continue to gain strength and experience.  Yes, we could use a "big" or two for better rebounding and paint/rim protection.  Carlson and Heller will be missed, no doubt.  I'm very optimistic about White as our future PG.  Kate Palmer will be back, too . . .  I think better than before.

Should be an interesting Final Four upcoming.   Looks to me like Transy might go all the way, lift the Walnut and Bronze.   

'70

GoPerry

Huge congratulations to Millikin's Elyce Knudsen as the 2023 Jostens Trophy award winner.  This is a tremendous honor and I am glad for her national recognition.

https://d3hoops.com/notables/2023/03/jostens-winners-cciw-double-dip

RogK

iwu70

Congrats to Ms. Knudsen on Jostens  -- super duper.   Well-deserved.

iwu'70

Gregory Sager

iwu70

Transy takes it all.  Guess the Big Blue shouldn't feel so bad . . .

'70

Gregory Sager

Heard from someone with an inside source that Carthage's replacement for Tim Bernero will be Monmouth head coach Megan Jones. In her two seasons coaching the Scots they went 14-10 (2021-22) and 10-15 (2022-23). She's a former standout at Loras who had a distinguished playing career at Ridgeview HS in downstate Colfax (about 15 miles east of Bloomington-Normal). She was an assistant at Luther for three years before coming to Monmouth.

gordonmann

Last week I interviewed Elyce Knudsen on her Jostens Trophy win. Drawing inspiration from the Q-Cast, our interview runs through a wide range of topics including COVID shifted her focus from softball to basketball; her NIL deal; and where she wants to improve her game.

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2023/04/atn-elyce-knudsen-millikin

Interviewing her was a treat.

RogK

A well-done interview, Gordon.
Sounds like Elyce devotes a lot of effort to be good at many things besides basketball.
Incidentally, she said that she gives much attention to being a good dribbler. I think all players in the CCIW should work to improve their dribbling, regardless of height, size, position.