MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colby Hoops

Colby tops Ramapo 103-97 in OT -- always nice to start the year off with a win against a decent team. Don't have too much to add as there was no stream and the live stats were messed up for much of the game. From what I could tell, Colby led most of the game before a late run by Ramapo sent it to OT. Alex Dorion led the way shooting 7-10 from deep and finishing with 23 -- he's an underrated player, one of the best pure shooters in the league. Jefferson, Tyson, Hanna and Tucker all looked to have played well too. Based on the box score it seems like Colby isn't changing its style at all as it was a fast-paced shootout (Colby launched 43 triples).

One other note is that Ronan Schwarz does not appear to be on the roster, he started most of the year last year as the de facto center (he's probably a three on most teams). A freshman, Will King, started in his place as Strahorn elected to start small and bring Weiner off the bench (who based on the box score looks to be shaking off some rust still, which is to be expected).

A bit frustrating to not have the game online, especially after the Conn-Anna Maria game right before it was broadcast (also an OT game -- a nice win for Conn). I'm guessing that's a choice by the tournament host (Conn) to not have a broadcast for the second game? Not sure if that's a common move, but seems weak to me.

Old Guy

Pay little or no attention to my evaluations of Midd opponents. I thought the SUNY Canton-Wentworth game last night at Midd was a snoozefest — neither team impressed me. On the other hand, I liked Bridgewater State, who really extended Midd in a four point loss (four point Midd win) 85-81. So this afternoon, SUNY Canton knocked off Bridgewater and Wentworth gave Middlebury a real test before falling 75-64 (Wentworth was up at the half). I concluded that yesterday's Wentworth-SUNY Canton game was between two pretty good defensive teams.

Ahead by two (52-50) with eight minutes to go today, Midd went on a nice run, highlighted by Folger's two contested corner threes. Folger scored his 1000th point in the first half. At the risk of condescension, I mention what a great kid (sorry, young man) he is. He's such a versatile player: 6'8", an outside shooter, a shot blocker and rebounder. A player easy to like on many levels. All-time favorite.

As others have said, all five starters today (Middlebury starts three point guards who can score) finished in double figures. Farrell was more of his kamikaze self in this game: 13 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals. Midd shot better from three (9-23), though Farrell/Bosco/Kornaker were only 3-12. Folger's 4-5 certainly helped.

Must mention some history here. For those of us who go back a way (I am "Old Guy," after all), the presence of a Bridgewater State team in our gym introduces profound emotions, memories. As Middlebury was going from NESCAC middle of the pack to really good, we played Bridgewater State in an NCAA tournament game in our gym in 2008-09. What a great season we had had, 24-4, NESCAC champs, hardly an every year thing for Middlebury. We were not accustomed to such success.

We were up by five points with 35 seconds to play before a raucous full house in the NCAA first round game. Game over, right? Nay, nay. Bridgewater State player Stace Garrick hit two threes from deep . . .  not deep really, different time zone, seriously, 25-30 footers, the second to beat us at the buzzer, 78-76. Nice ride home for the Bears, broken hearts for the home folks, a second JD for me in the inevitable post mortems. in a local watering hole, drowning my sorrows. Unforgettable. 

Sports! Thrill ya, kill ya.

ContinentalDomer

Tonight, in the first round of Drew University's tournament, Hamilton was in a dogfight against TCNJ for long stretches, battling cold shooting and turnovers, learning about their new chemistry, and getting into foul trouble.  But the Continentals finished strong to win 88-81. 

With Kena Gilmour (27 points, 10-10 FTs) on the bench with 4 fouls, Hamilton was down 7 with 11 minutes to play.  Then, 6'8" frosh Patrick Mogan (prediction:  put him on the list of early contenders for NESCAC ROY) came off the bench to score in bunches with some strong low post moves, a face up jumper, and a steal/full court drive that led to a tip-in; he finished with 19 points and 3 steals.  Mogan is strong and skilled in all phases.

Down the stretch, Coach Stockwell played offense/defense with Gilmour, subbing him out on D and letting him run on O to protect the foul situation.  The strategy paid off as Gilmour knocked down 2 NBA threes on back to back possessions with about 7 minutes to play, and made all of his FTs when TCNJ was forced to foul.

Frosh Nkosi Cooper controlled the PG position, as Sayo Denloye sat out with an injury.  Cooper (10 pts) is a long lefty who handles the ball well and gets into the paint.  Soph Nick Osarenren had 10 boards, including 6 at the offensive end, and 7 points.  Soph Eric Anderson did not shoot it well, but got to good spots and took good shots - he finished with 9 points. 

This team will take some time to gel, but they have a lot of young talent.  Once they figure out how to play together, Hamilton will present some serious challenges and problems for their opponents.

Bucket

Quote from: nescac1 on November 16, 2019, 08:28:50 PM
Wentworth and Bridgewater State?

Most of NESCAC isn't exactly playing top-tier competition this weekend.  But you can still get a preliminary sense of who looks promising for stronger competition, right?

Knowing Old Guy as well as I do, I believe he wasn't commenting so much as to the athletic prowess of SUNY Poly, as he was wondering about the provenance of the school.

Bucket

Quote from: Old Guy on November 16, 2019, 09:51:26 PM
Pay little or no attention to my evaluations of Midd opponents. I thought the SUNY Canton-Wentworth game last night at Midd was a snoozefest — neither team impressed me. On the other hand, I liked Bridgewater State, who really extended Midd in a four point loss (four point Midd win) 85-81. So this afternoon, SUNY Canton knocked off Bridgewater and Wentworth gave Middlebury a real test before falling 75-64 (Wentworth was up at the half). I concluded that yesterday's Wentworth-SUNY Canton game was between two pretty good defensive teams.

Ahead by two (52-50) with eight minutes to go today, Midd went on a nice run, highlighted by Folger's two contested corner threes. Folger scored his 1000th point in the first half. At the risk of condescension, I mention what a great kid (sorry, young man) he is. He's such a versatile player: 6'8", an outside shooter, a shot blocker and rebounder. A player easy to like on many levels. All-time favorite.

As others have said, all five starters today (Middlebury starts three point guards who can score) finished in double figures. Farrell was more of his kamikaze self in this game: 13 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals. Midd shot better from three (9-23), though Farrell/Bosco/Kornaker were only 3-12. Folger's 4-5 certainly helped.

Must mention some history here. For those of us who go back a way (I am "Old Guy," after all), the presence of a Bridgewater State team in our gym introduces profound emotions, memories. As Middlebury was going from NESCAC middle of the pack to really good, we played Bridgewater State in an NCAA tournament game in our gym in 2008-09. What a great season we had had, 24-4, NESCAC champs, hardly an every year thing for Middlebury. We were not accustomed to such success.

We were up by five points with 35 seconds to play before a raucous full house in the NCAA first round game. Game over, right? Nay, nay. Bridgewater State player Stace Garrick hit two threes from deep . . .  not deep really, different time zone, seriously, 25-30 footers, the second to beat us at the buzzer, 78-76. Nice ride home for the Bears, broken hearts for the home folks, a second JD for me in the inevitable post mortems. in a local watering hole, drowning my sorrows. Unforgettable. 

Sports! Thrill ya, kill ya.

You know I'm a stickler for facts, OG—the Bridgewater tournament loss was actually in the second round; Midd had a bye in the first round. And Garrick's second dagger wasn't at the buzzer. There was time on the clock for NESCAC POY Ben Rudin to race up the floor and get off a potential game-winner from 18. Rimmed out.

nescac1

Ahh, makes sense Bucket.  My bad.  I've no idea about the school itself.  The hoops team, yeah, not stellar ...

Colby, Tufts and Hamilton with the most impressive wins so far.  Quality programs they beat, at least typically ....

Conts Fan

I believe SUNY Poly used to be known as SUNY IT

nescac1

My bad on my earlier comment on the Eph highlights (which were put together remarkably fast!) ... Elien's jam for his first career hoop actually does end the highlights:

https://youtu.be/jJxiUcygYjk

Also a nice array of CPS highlights included.  Hopefully there is a lot more where that came from, and it's just the tip of the iceberg for Cole.

amh63

Had a full day watching games...even some basketball games  wrt Nescac  teams.
Amherst's soccer teams won big and advanced to the 2nd round in the  NCAA post season. :)
As JEFFFAN posted...Amherst has not played.
Watched a bunch of the Hamilton vs TCNJ game.  The head coach of the NJ team was an Amherst front court player and an assistant coach for Hixon.  His father had a handle of "Hoya.."on this board, once stated that his son should be successful when his son recruits players that was as tall as himself.  The game was fun to watch as both coaches rotated players into the game as the situation changed...tall players.
Watched a bunch of the Midd game.  Looked for posters in the stands.  Need a refresh of where Old Guy, MiddHoops and Vandy74 sits with family/friends..  lots of men with beards :).
Bucket...sound liked you announced the game.  Your son has grown quite a bit.

thebear

Quote from: Conts Fan on November 16, 2019, 11:25:59 PM
I believe SUNY Poly used to be known as SUNY IT

That's true.  The athletic teams are based in the Utica area.  They have two campuses, one in the Utica area and one in Albany. Former Hamilton All-American Kevin Grimmer is the Athletic Director, and for a long time was the basketball coach.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

nescacfaninbos

Did not get a chance to watch the Hamilton game but one thing that stands out in the box score is that Gilmour scored 27 points on only 12 shots - that's remarkable efficiency.

ContinentalDomer

While it's tough to tell much on one view, Gilmour appeared to show deeper range, more arc, and more consistency on his threes.  He did get into some trouble with TOs and charging fouls.  He's very aggressive, of course.  But the team chemistry and the trust will come and that will help him reduce TOs - better spacing, locating the player whose man doubled, taking advantage of kick-outs, spotting defensive rotations, etc. 

It was certainly encouraging to see them win without Denloye, without much from Lutz (had one big 4-point play), and with Gilmour on the bench during their comeback.  There's plenty to build upon from here.

Quote from: nescacfaninbos on November 17, 2019, 10:20:34 AM
Did not get a chance to watch the Hamilton game but one thing that stands out in the box score is that Gilmour scored 27 points on only 12 shots - that's remarkable efficiency.

SpringSt7

Early overreactions from an opening 2-0 weekend for the new look Ephs:

-While Worcester St and SUNY Poly were far from being good or even competent offensive teams, holding them to 51 and 48 points respectively (numbers which would have been lower had it not been for garbage time and emptying the bench) is always good to see, especially for a young team. The defense has a ton to work on--far too many driving lanes, poor closeouts on shooters caused by jumping for steals, and communicating on switches--but the sheer talent and athleticism they have gives them so much room for error.

-6 different players in double digits over the course of the weekend, with just Karpowicz crossing the 10 point threshold each night was nice to see. The top of the line talent will not be what it has been the last few years, but they are deeper this year when it comes to who is capable of putting the ball in the hoop. I expect that some sort of Karpowicz, Spivy, Jones, and Prowitt-Smith will develop as their 4 main options, but nice nights from Feinberg and Babek will continue to be needed as they continue to try and replace three 1000 point scorers.

-Prowitt-Smith was electric for Williams on Saturday--22 points off of the bench on 9-10 shooting after just 2 points in his college debut. It is not an overreaction to say that Williams has not had anyone in years that can score the ball in the variety of ways that he can--hit a few deep, deep threes, a step back fallaway jumper in the lane, and some eyepopping drives and finishes at the rim. His development and hopefully consistent production will be as big of a factor for this team as any if they hope to reach the heights of the past three years.

-The top notch shooting of Casey and Heskett may not be replaced this year, but the Ephs look to have more guys capable of knocking down shots this year. Spivy seems capable of being the only true 40% guy on their team (perhaps Babek too but a much less dynamic shooter and will take less as well), despite going a shocking 2-17 from deep over the course of the weekend I imagine that will sort itself out as he settles in, but they will have significantly less liabilities and more spacing this year. With the ball in Casey's hands so much last year, and Feinberg and Scadlock not giving teams much to worry about shooting the ball, the lanes were clogged and it ultimately was what ended their season last year against Christopher Newport. Between Prowitt-Smith, Spivy, Babek, as well as the additions of freshmen Alex Stoddard and Nate Karren, it should not be an issue. Karren is especially exciting, as his ability to stretch the floor from the center position will be a great wrinkle to add in, giving the defense a different look when he checks in for Karpowicz.

Colby Hoops

Colby putting it on Anna Maria in the first half today (again no stream at Conn, so just going on the live stats). 57 points on 13 of 20 three point shooting. Sam Jefferson with 27 POINTS in the first half. Alex Dorion hasn't missed and is currently 10-13 from deep on the season. Mules lead by 23.

Tufts-Colby might be in the 120s this year, and I'm only half joking.

Colby Hoops

Quote from: ContinentalDomer on November 17, 2019, 11:12:54 AM
While it's tough to tell much on one view, Gilmour appeared to show deeper range, more arc, and more consistency on his threes.  He did get into some trouble with TOs and charging fouls.  He's very aggressive, of course.  But the team chemistry and the trust will come and that will help him reduce TOs - better spacing, locating the player whose man doubled, taking advantage of kick-outs, spotting defensive rotations, etc. 

It was certainly encouraging to see them win without Denloye, without much from Lutz (had one big 4-point play), and with Gilmour on the bench during their comeback.  There's plenty to build upon from here.

Quote from: nescacfaninbos on November 17, 2019, 10:20:34 AM

I'm bullish on Hamilton -- Gilmour is one of the very best players in the country, and I think there is enough depth and talent to fill out a solid squad around him.