FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: AptosDad on August 23, 2006, 08:28:48 PM
D3fan wrote: EVERY SCHOOL in the NEFC (and beyand, NESCACs etc) have players that might not meet the highest academic standards of their respective schools.

This suggests that a high school or JC player with exceptional football skills will get a NEFC school administrator to overlook a questionable academic record. The table just isn't that evenly.  You either have an excellent academic record, or you go somewhere other than MIT. My son's at MIT and I did everything (all legitimate) I thought I should that would help to get him in, but in the end, his football skills had nothing to do with his admittance.  He was a high school team captain and all-league honoree, but all football did was add another item to his list of diverse interests, which is what most academic schools are looking for.  I don't know where you pulled your claim about EVERY SCHOOL from, but I think you're wrong.

Apatos dad, your 90% right.

Being a football captain and great football player at a great highschool or great high school football program will get you points at any school, including MIT. 

AptosDad

Jonny,
I received strong enough indication from the head coach prior to my son's acceptance at the school that his football talent was a good thing, but that the coach did not have the ability or power to gain my son acceptance.  My son probably went on a 'wish list' the coach may have submitted to the administration, but even after being accepted, the coach wrote his congratulations with a reminder that MIT was an academic institution first, and that there were certain rules prohibiting players from allowing their football to interfere in any way with their academics.  At this point I'm not sure if we're in agreement or not, but I'll stand by my original reply, that not EVERY SCHOOL plays the same game.

d3fan06

Aptosdad,

You are correct that not every school plays the same game in admission of student-athletes. There are varying levels of what each school is willing to accept as part of the larger class of students in general.

However, I WOULD hope that ALL the coaches took the same approach that football players in their program are attending their insititution for an EDUCATION first and to play football second.

AptosDad

D3fan06,
I share the same hope with you, but football coaches are human and don't all or always display like behavior.  When we were invited to observe an Ivy league school's spring practice game in his junior year of high school, part of the experience was a tour of facilities by various members of the coaching staff.  I believe it was the DL coach, in front of 30 or so parents and their boys, who said something to the effect that; "when they're here in the weightroom or in pads they're mine, and I don't care what happens over there (referring to the academic side of the campus) as long as it doesn't interrupt what I'm trying to achieve here". It wasn't anything too far from what I believed was reality, but still a bit of a surprise to hear a coach admit it, and I think his head coach would have considered his statement a gaff. For that to be admitted at an Ivy, we have to believe it's the standard for most schools.  I only contributed to this post because of your earlier claim that it's the case at EVERY SCHOOL.  There's at least one school that I'm aware of that doesn't play the game that way.

waggle09

Well let's forget the negativity about admissions. It's time to play ball. A couple good openers coming up this weekend with Curry at worcester state and i believe endicott at hartwick. It should be 2 well contested games. Perhaps 3 of the top teams in the conferences opening up early. I think that this year more so than last year there will be what some think the bottom tear teams beating the BSC,Curry, Fitchburghs and Endicotts.

NCAAFootball67

I couldnt agree more with waggle, it seems that the league is starting to middle out a bit, but we will see what teams set up, i could see endicott being very very good and that nichols team coming back strong, on the other side, westfields got some transfers and bsc looks to have a dominating D....should be interesting.......potential schools who could pull off the upsets are mit, wnec, both maritimes.....

just my opinion

InTheMix

I agree very much with the comments about the NEFC becoming more competitive. WNEC has a great team returning and with the way they played last year they could see 3 or 4 more wins. Also, with the new coaches coming into the league teams will either struggle or thrive with the new game plans. I still see Endicott, Curry, and Fitchburg as the dominant 3, but UMD, WNEC, Coast Guard, and even MIT could stir things up. Hopefully those front runners wont take any team too lightly.

any predictions for the NEFC teams playing this weekend?

waggle09

I think that Worcester state at home with their balanced running and throwing attack will present problems for Curry. I think that Curry of all teams in the NEFC lost a lot of very good players last season, although Nellie recruited very well and they still have a very good team. I see an early season upset.
Endicott is a very good team but the league plays in is very good and again I see Hartwick beating Endicott.

63Center

OK, I will be the first to go out on a limb and make my pre-season predictions for teh NEFC.  I will state right up front that I have limited rationale for my picks and I agree that this year the NEFC is quite well balanced and one upet can throw the picks right out the window.

Boyd Division:
Curry
EC
UMD
MIT
Nichols
WNEC
PSU
Salve

I think that MIT, Nichols and WNEC will all be tied at 4th place.

Bogan:
Fitchburgh
Westfield
Bridgewater
Worcester
Coast Guard
Maine Maritime
Mass Maritime
Framingham

Ok. let's see some more predictions.

K-Mack

Well,
I'm jumping in at the end of the discussion, but isn't it logical to assume that no matter the academic standard at a school, there are going to be some slightly above average and some who are below? In many cases, the students admitted with below are the ones who are assets to the campus community in other ways, like having a strong record of activities and academics.

I don't know if that was the original poster's intent since I didn't go back to rehash posts not on this page, but he/she may well be right, generally speaking.

There are some schools whose admissions office (not the same as "administration" in my view) is in close cooperation with the coaching staff(s) ... that doesn't mean they violate academic standards set by the admissions office, but they know how to quote-unquote get a player in. There are financial packages and programs and exceptions to the rules, perhaps even loopholes, that admissions offices can and do exploit to get players in, at least if opposing schools' coaches are to be believed. In fact, sometimes coaches at the places where admissions judges athletes on their academic record first and foremost begrudge the practice and consider themselves at a disadvantage.

Plays to the point that all D3s are not created equal. And why would they be?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Oh,
and my picks, roughly similar to Kickoff '06, with one major difference (that no one seems to have mentioned_)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

63Center

Quote from: K-Mack on September 01, 2006, 11:28:01 AM
Oh,
and my picks, roughly similar to Kickoff '06, with one major difference (that no one seems to have mentioned_)

K-Mack,  are we missing something here?

63Center

Picks for NEFC this weekend:

WSC  20 Curry 18
I pick WSC for two reasons: (1) They are at home and (2) Curry is under a new coach and it may take a game or two for the players to gel under a new coach.

Hartwick 28  EC 14 
Based on past history it takes EC a few games to get going and I don't think they will be up to the task of beating Hartwick that plays a much tougher schedule.

63Center

Looks like EC better tighten up their run defense.  The Jr. RB Crea ran the fisrt play from scrimmage 80 yds for a TD and racked up a total of 220 yards on the ground for the game.  At least the kick-off was not run back which has happened the last years for Endicott.  That does not look good for the Gulls who have most their Defense back from last year.  Also wonder what was going on with the offense that their leading rusher from last season only ran one play for -1 yards.  Does anyone know if Festa was hurt.  Gulls better shape up quick with RPI coming in next Sat.

'gro

anyone have a recipie for seagull stew?