FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

It looks to me that McGonagle is a great choice.  Its only been the last few years that Bentley has been one of the top d2 offenses at a program what was average untill a few years ago.  And I also have gotten the impression that Yetten (the HC) isnt really the mind behind the offense and is just more of a figurehead.  It seems that McGonagle was the guy that started the big offensive success.

Then again, Fitchburg isnt going to be one of those places where top coaches will start and end their carreer unless some serious national success happens.  And I dont think it will in the next 2 years at the very least.

chopperj

The guy sounds like a great choice.  Last year FSC offense was going to have to improve to suck, so it seams they picked a guy who can change that.  Not knowing the players can be a benefit, it will force some dicipline and motivation in the ranks.  As far as not knowing the league and recruits, he is coming from DII, a couple of good tape sessions and talking with some of the remainng coaches will fix all that.

Time to cowboy up FSC, good luck.

franklin

maybe-- I guess/hope that  we'll know after todays meeting----but right now there are NO remaining coaches-- 0 of 9- no one has been invited back.   Hope lots of them come back BUT ???  I honestly don't believe this schools players can handle the "no huddle" thing all the time.   There are huge differences between who plays at 2 and 3,  not just size/speed.

union89

Franklin,
There is really not a whole lot of difference between an elite DIII program and Bentley football......I would feel very comfortable putting the top 3 teams from the Liberty League & Empire 8 against Bentley any day!!!!

lewdogg11

Quote from: Union89 on April 11, 2007, 03:21:30 PM
Franklin,
There is really not a whole lot of difference between an elite DIII program and Bentley football......I would feel very comfortable putting the top 3 teams from the Liberty League & Empire 8 against Bentley any day!!!!

I have to agree here.  Bentley is a good program.  But let's face it, other than the elite D2 teams, there's a marginal difference in size, speed, and athleticism.  I've seen Merrimack, Bentley, UMass-Lowell(Before they folded), and a bunch of other D2 teams in New England, and RPI, Union, Hobart, Ithaca, SJF, etc, would mop the field with those teams.

PBR...

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 09, 2007, 06:42:17 PM
Give the new guy a chance, would be my suggestion. At my alma mater, coach was let go after a 1-9 season. Everyone wanted his DC to be hired, very popular with the players. The administration hired from the outside, though, somebody nobody on the team knew.

The team went 8-2 in his first season and made the playoffs three times under him.

It's not always going to work out that way, no doubt, but just give the decision a chance.

right on pat....when delaware valley hired mangus the thinking was kinda who is this guy? yeah he had a decent resume and coached some d3 but we saw what he did at del val....took a perennial doormat with very little talent and turned them into a perennial playoff contender before he left. give the new coach a chance, sometimes its actually good to go outside the program and get someone with no ties and have a fresh look at things

franklin

granted ,but this is NEFC not always the cream of crop,but very hard working people !  my cousin plays for an opponent of Bentley and says the m.o. is wristbands for plays and no huddle, tons of passing-- this will not work all the time with my team.  Is one setback going to be good with a team that has lots of returning backs ?? nice friendly meeting/ but practice hasn't started, 1 coach, vague ideas and not as many as expected showed up !   I want to start now as I only have 2 years left and not a season to learn all new things that MAY or MAY NOT work-- I know all the other teams in the league are almost finished with spring practice........ I'm getting very nervous.

lewdogg11

Quote from: franklin on April 11, 2007, 10:25:30 PM
granted ,but this is NEFC not always the cream of crop,but very hard working people !  my cousin plays for an opponent of Bentley and says the m.o. is wristbands for plays and no huddle, tons of passing-- this will not work all the time with my team.  Is one setback going to be good with a team that has lots of returning backs ?? nice friendly meeting/ but practice hasn't started, 1 coach, vague ideas and not as many as expected showed up !   I want to start now as I only have 2 years left and not a season to learn all new things that MAY or MAY NOT work-- I know all the other teams in the league are almost finished with spring practice........ I'm getting very nervous.

Jesus H. Christ!  This is college football, not pee wee's!  Learn a new offense.  Learn a new defense.  It's not rocket science.  I'm sure they offer intramural flag football there, if you just want to run around and be a gym hero.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: uPBRmeASAP on April 11, 2007, 09:02:42 PM
right on pat....when delaware valley hired mangus the thinking was kinda who is this guy?

Uhh -- I appreciate the agreement but nobody who knew anything about football in the mid-atlantic area said that about G.A. Mangus. :)

His reputation was well-cemented at Ursinus and Widener.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PBR...

ld me thinks being back in the northeast got your mojo back and southern hositality is thrown out the window... yes pat i should of left the (tic) in there i edited and earlier post where i said we knew little of mangus and he had a 'ok' resume with playing qb at florida under spurrier, was a grad asst under spurrier, coached under spurrier and was known at several d3 schools....

'gro

RPI switched from a meat and potatoes I-pro offense to a pass happy spread my senior year (I played defense, but they changed EVERYTHING on offense: terminology, formation, and plays) and the players picked it up with no problem and went undefeated in the reg season.

Running, blocking, passing, catching... that stuff never changes. If your team has solid fundamentals changing the play calling shouldn't matter.

p.s. Teams that use the spread offense can actually run the ball pretty effectively.

franklin

Thanks pat for the intellectual and stimulating response--- I simply meant that in my "limited/inexperienced" wisdom felt that this MAY not fit the people that have been collected at this time.... Of course there is no time left to get/recruit others into this school for our immed. future...... thus taking your cue/and insults galore-- my football playing roommate and I will be visiting Bridgewater tomorrow and UMD sat. and hopefully enrolling asap.   Name calling ,I had thought, was only for those who cannot grasp large portions of the english language and express themselves successfully.    I'm out.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: franklin on April 11, 2007, 10:25:30 PM

Franklin maybe this is exactly what the NEFC needs is a coach like this guy.  

And like the other guys have said, NE10 football is very similar to top d3 football.  Plus, heres Bentely College, a team that 10 years ago would get beat by Ithaca or Union by probably 4 touchdowns (IC used to beat CW Post and AIC good back then) and now within the last 5 years, Bentely is in the d2 national quarterfinals, even beating a top d2 team this year and putting up record numbers in the country.  And its all because of a changed offense (developed from what Ive heard) by the new Fitchburg coach.

lewdogg11

I don't think there's any name calling go around.  There is some whining going on, but we're just throwing some factual information out there.  Let's face it, what is going on in the NEFC right now isn't working, maybe a new guy with some experience, and a new game plan might throw a little wrinkle into a deflated league.  Maybe it will take 3-5 years for it to work, with recruiting aspects and what not.  If the core of the existing team has the attitude of Rich Franklin over there, it might take longer than that until they get the bad eggs out of there and adopt a new attitude and a philosophy of WINNING!

And JU, for my historical fact of the day:

RPI  41
Albany 7 (Division 2 at the time)

PBR...

someone must of p'd in franklins cheerios this morning...sensing a little hostility in his response...