NESCAC 2012

Started by Giggs, September 07, 2012, 12:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giggs

Let's see if anyone populates this.

Jump4Joy

I'll start. Didn't see any games, so it's mostly info you can get off the NESCAC site...
2011 NCAA quarterfinalist and NCAA #14-ranked Williams started with a 2-0 non-league loss to Oneonta State (weren't in tourney last year) while Bowdoin opened with a 4-0 blanking of Southern Maine.

Conference play started yesterday (home team listed first): Williams beat Bates, 2-0; Hamilton tripped Trinity, 2-1 (2OT); Bowdoin won over Wesleyan, 1-0; Conn. College conceded to Colby, 2-1; NCAA #10-ranked Middlebury triumphed over Tufts, 2-0. NCAA #7-ranked Amherst had the bye.

Note: How is Johns Hopkins, who lost to Amherst in the 2011 quarterfinals, ranked #3, ahead of Wheaton (NCAA runner-up), Messiah (NCAA champ), and Amherst? Interestingly, Hopkins squandered a 2-0 lead to tie Emory Friday after being shut out, 4-0, by Messiah on Wednesday. Meanwhile, Messiah already has a 2-1 OT loss to Emory and a 1-1 tie against William Smith, who they beat in the 2011 semis.

Giggs

So to those who might know, do the two early losses mean that Williams might be a be more vulnerable than in the past?

amh63

Based on the preseason polls, Williams' unranked team would seem to be not as strong as last year.....in the conference with at least three or more ranked teams.  However, considering the losses of JHU, Messiah, etc., one wonders what the pre-season rankings really mean or matter.  I expect that Williams will "find its legs" so to speak and be a tough opponent within a tough league by the season's end.

Giggs

Blow out special, Amherst puts a hurt on Mount Holyoke 9-0.

amh63

Amherst opened its conference play with a 2-0 win over Bates in Maine.

Giggs

Surprise result was Wes over Tufts. Tufts off to a slow start.  Looks like they need some home cooking, which should help when they play Colby. Williams pulls one out in the last minute, and Bowdoin maintains its strong start.

Giggs

On the road, looks like Tufts was fortunate to get out of Norton with a tie against Wheaton (shots 25-7).  Also, based on stat's of an evenly matched game Amherst took a 1-0 result against Springfield.

Giggs

Well, looks like the home cooking for Tufts was not any good.  Looks like this is a down year for them.  Mid and Amherst battle it out and looks like they will be in the mix for the title. Williams at the top of the standings, but have not played the difficult part of the schedule yet, next two weeks will be telling with trips to Hamilton, then Amherst and Bowdoin.  Conn is well, Conn.  Interesting to see if Bowdoin and Hamilton can stay in the upper bracket of the standings, with both of them playing Williams in the next couple of weeks.  Trinity, Bates, and Wes with 3 losses already are putting themselves in a difficult position.  Colby a bit of a surprise this early on, but their 3-0 loss to Mid might be a true indicator that they will fall to the bottom half of the standings.

machine54

Midd - With virtually it's entire team returning -just recorded its 14th shutout in its last 15 games

amh63

Machine54......thats one way of looking at it!  Amherst-Midd. game at Mid. ended in a 0-0 tie after 2OTs.

machine54

Yes I know I was there -how else would you like to look at it ? 

Giggs

I think you can look at it as two contenders going at it, with neither having rendered a goal yet this year.

Jump4Joy

Yes, congrats to Midd for recording their 14th shutout in the last 15 games.
And congrats to Amherst for going undefeated in 25 of their last 26 games!  ;) (24 wins, 1 tie)

Giggs

Williams is outshot 9 - 6 by Springfield, but remarkably comes away with a 3 - 0 result. They find a way to win.