NESCAC 2012

Started by Giggs, September 07, 2012, 12:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocean 1

Strong year for New England Region Pool C at-large bids as they receive a total of 7 vs. 4 in 2011. At-large bids are:
- Amhesrt
- Brandeis
- Bowdoin
- Middlebury
- MIT
- Western Connecticut
- Wheaton

Note: 4 NESCAC teams are in the Tournament. Question...among NESCAC who has the best bracket chances of advancing?

jc2

If you use the D3soccer and NSCAA national polls as an assessment of relative team strength, it looks like Amherst has the easiest draw this weekend. They will not face a team ranked in the top 20 nationally in the first round. The other NESCAC teams all have top 20 teams in their groups. Williams probably has the second easist first round grouping of the NESCAC teams.

Should be an interesting and exciting weekend. Let's hope the weather cooperates.

jc2

woacfan

Shoulda been a red card!
No place for that...
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

Giggs

And espn has picked it up.  Been around the game many years and have never seen this.  Reflects poorly on Amherst.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...id/478?cc=5901

Ocean 1

Anyone have the story yet from Amherst? Surely they must have a reaction?

frank uible

Institutions tend to sweep things like that under the rug.

Giggs

I saw on another board that there may be a player suspension. In my opinion a one game suspension is meaningless.  It should be at least two games to get out of the home bracket.

Also, this has gone viral:  http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/woman-footballer-hits-opponent-throw-twice-row-120706649.html

Ocean 1

Quote from: jc2 on November 06, 2012, 08:41:33 AM
If you use the D3soccer and NSCAA national polls as an assessment of relative team strength, it looks like Amherst has the easiest draw this weekend. They will not face a team ranked in the top 20 nationally in the first round. The other NESCAC teams all have top 20 teams in their groups. Williams probably has the second easist first round grouping of the NESCAC teams.

Should be an interesting and exciting weekend. Let's hope the weather cooperates.

Agree...and think all 4 NESCAC teams will make it into the Round of 32. After that, believe Bowdoin will fall to Ithaca but Williams, Amherst and Midd will advance to the Sweet 16 after this weekend.

Any other thoughts?

jc2

My guess is that Williams and Amherst will advance to the sectionals without much difficulty. They both got favorable draws. As noted elsewhere, Middlebury has been playing quite erratically in recent weeks and will most likely lose to Misericordia who is ranked #10 nationally. Although they have had a great late season run, Bowdoin will probably lose to Ithaca on Sunday.

Gerrs

???One of this year's NECAC all-conference decisions seems particularly puzzling. Trinity's well-deserved rookie of the year was not also a choice for the first or second teams. For at least the past three years, ROYs have also been placed on t first or second teams, and this year's ROY seems as deserving as the past three given that she tied for first in goals and fifth in points while playing fewer games than the other leaders for a ninth-place team. (I think it's generally more difficult to score goals and acquire assists while playing for a weaker team.)

BTW. I do not know the ROY and am not a Trinity supporter.

deiscanton

Lasell has upset Amherst 3-1 today.   Game has just gone final.

I was watching on Jeffcast.   Bridget Lynch had 2 2nd half goals for Lasell, while Amherst's lone goal came with approx 6 1/2 minutes remaining from Amanda Brisco.

Lasell will play the winner of Brandeis vs Union tomorrow.

Giggs

3 of 4 advance. What happened with Amherst, was it just one of those days?

Jump4Joy

Yes, one of those days when you out-possess and out-shoot a lesser team and have nothing to show for it. Lasell, on the other hand, couldn't miss. They executed their game plan well, played optimistic, and made it happen. Hats off to them. Amherst dearly missed their suspended starting back and the other starting back they lost early in the game.

It was a tough weekend for the NESCAC.

Jim Matson

The Amherst men made up for it, at least a little bit.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com