NESCAC 2012

Started by Giggs, September 07, 2012, 12:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc2

Tough weekend for the NESCAC. None of the 4 teams advance to the next round.  :'(

Ocean 1

Quote from: Jim Matson on November 11, 2012, 10:53:18 PM
The Amherst men made up for it, at least a little bit.

As did the Williams men!

Giggs

Hope ya'all enjoyed the season.  Too bad a NESCAC team could not get through.

nescac1

Story on an impressive Williams recruit: over 100 career goals, including 40 as a senior, in the large school division of Massachusetts soccer, I imagine she will be able to play early for the Ephs, who seemed to lack a big-time striker last season:
http://m.metrowestdailynews.com/wkdMetroWest/pm_32192/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=CtMsUfm0

Giggs

Well that is interesting since the early decision notification date is not until December 15.  http://admission.williams.edu/apply/firstyear/earlydecision.

nescac1

Giggs, ummm, that is how NESCAC recruiting works, for all schools.  Although there is never any guarantee, top notch recruits (aka TIPS) commit to apply E.D. to NESCAC schools as early as the summer, and are basically pre-screened by the coaches through admissions, who can then have a VERY good idea of the prospects for acceptance.  You see these sort of stories all the time about NESCAC athletes "committing" even though they are not technically accepted until December.  Each school gets between 66 (Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan) or 72 (the rest of NESCAC) total TIPS to spread among sports.  It's pretty rare for admissions NOT to come through in these situations, although not unheard of. 

Giggs

Thanks N1.  I am familiar with Ivy and NESCAC practices, but it is a bit unseemly, and factually inaccurate to say that I have decided to go to Williams as though there is some sort of signing of a national letter of intent.  The only true commitment can come once an official offer of admission is made and accepted. 

nescac1

Yeah, but athletes at every NESCAC school say it all the time, stories like this are reported throughout the early fall, across the league.  I don't think it's a big deal, if a coach tells you, you are in, to say, I'm planning on going to school
  • , with or without the formality of an acceptance. 

Giggs

So is Williams playing by different rules. I will say again, until an offer of admission is made there is no commitment by  the institution.   See this link: http://www.nescac.com/admissions/admissions

nescac1

Not sure how many times I have to repeat myself, Giggs, Williams is not playing by different rules, every NESCAC school operates this way, and no, nothing is formal until an athlete is formally accepted.  I could post 100 articles form the past few months, across various different sports in every NESCAC school, where prospective athletes say (or news reports announce) they are "committed" to attend a school.  All that means is (1) they agree to apply E.D., and if accepted, they will attend, and (2) in all likelihood, the coaches, who speak with admissions throughout the process, have been told that this particular athlete will almost surely be accepted, and then conveys that info informally to the athlete.  Read the basketball board, for example, and there are already loads of stories about athletes "committed" to NESCAC schools.  Reporters are not accustomed to covering D-3 athletics, so they don't really understand the nuances of reporting these type of decisions, which, no, are not formal, and not guarantees of anything until the athletes are accepted by admissions.  But it is very, very, very rare for a TIPPED athlete / top recruiting priority of a coach to be rejected after applying ED, once the coach gets the off the record wink and a nod from admissions that this person will be accepted.  All this does is basically level the playing field for NESCAC and other D-3 (not to mention D-1) schools, all of whom are able to either formally admit, or likewise let athletes know they will almost certainly be admitted, well in advance.  It does not violate any formal policy, but it is a way of coaches figuring out who their top recruiting priorities will be, and who to use their very limited TIPS (in most sports, only 1-2 slots per year) to push for in admissions. 

Giggs

Just having a little fun, why so serious?  :D